Tragedy as $9K Cash Stashed Under Mattress Goes Up in Smoke

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tragedy as $9K Cash Stashed Under Mattress Goes Up in Smoke

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On 16 February 2023, a fire broke out in a house of a villager, and most unfortunately consumed all the money which the family had prepared for their daughter's wedding, atotal of USD 8,900.

The above incident happened at 8 am in a sheet metal house in Kob Phluk village, Phnom Penh, after the house owner went out and locked the door. According to the investigation, the fire started from a faulty electric fan that the owner had left running in the house, which began to smoke, and then inflamed furnishings, bed clothes, mattress, pillows, and clothing in the bedroom.

The owner of the house is Nuon Phearun, 45, a master builder, and his 42 years old wife, Mlou Reaksa, a saleswoman, and they have three children living in the house with them. In a terrible financial tragedy, the family lost all their savings of US$8,900 cash in the fire. The parents had been keeping the money under the mattress, saving for a dowry for their daughter's wedding.
According to the neighbors, smoke started coming out of the building, some time after the owner had locked the door and left the house. They tried to open the door of the house but they couldn’t, so they made a hole in the roof to pour water inside the house to put out the fire.
Then the owner came home and unlocked the house, screaming and panicking,but unfortunately it was too late to save the hidden money, and the carefully saved $8,900 that was hidden under the mattress went up in smoke. Only the safe, which contained some family jewlery, escaped from the fire.
The authorities arrived soon afterwards with three fire trucks to help extinguish the fire.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tragedy as $9K Cash Stashed Under Mattress Goes Up in Smoke

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Sympathetic to the max but why do you reckon they didn't keep their almost 10k in the safe?

Seems if they had they would've been able to hang on to it since the safe was spared.

Guess we'll never know. Poor buggers :(
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:01 am Sympathetic to the max but why do you reckon they didn't keep their almost 10k in the safe?

Seems if they had they would've been able to hang on to it since the safe was spared.

Guess we'll never know. Poor buggers :(
It does seem like a strange decision... should we keep the large amount of money we have in the safe, or in the first place any thief would look - under the mattress?

I hope the wedding can still go ahead at least, assuming the daughter had a groom lined up and wedding plans in place.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

If I had to guess, they couldn't save up enough money for the dowry and needed a face-saving way out.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Alex wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:13 am If I had to guess, they couldn't save up enough money for the dowry and needed a face-saving way out.
by burning their house down??

This could actually be a plausible explanation.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:19 am
Alex wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:13 am If I had to guess, they couldn't save up enough money for the dowry and needed a face-saving way out.

Why not? I've seen people kill their entire families for much less
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Alex wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:04 am
IraHayes wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:19 am

Why not? I've seen people kill their entire families for much less
I agree. I should have expanded on my reply to confirm my agreement with your quoted statement. But yeah, there's no shortage of examples of stuff like this.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Strange theres no picture of a burned mattress.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic