Best options for a Visa Run?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Best options for a Visa Run?

Post by Monica »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:05 pm
Monica wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:40 pm Where do people usually go for a visa run though?
Most people don't have to ever do visa runs, I've never done one. I'm curious as to why you are doing one, did you get a tourist visa on arrival?
Yes, we got a visa on arrival
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:19 pm Vietnam land borders are closer to PP than Thai land borders.
That's true, but most nationalities need a (fairly expensive) visa in advance for Vietnam. Thailand has a free visa waiver scheme.

https://www.vietnam-visa.com/vietnam-visa-exemption/
[/quote]

Yeh, visa fees for Vietnam will be about $40 pp. Thailand has 45-day visa-free entry.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Monica wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:37 pm
But what type of Visa did you get? Refer to my first comment, you may not even need to make a Visa run.
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:42 pm
Monica wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:37 pm
But what type of Visa did you get? Refer to my first comment, you may not even need to make a Visa run.
We got the T-type visa :)
Monica
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Monica »

Alex wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:33 pm Yeah it would be good to know the OP's nationality, to know if she qualifies for visa exempt here or there. eVisa for Vietnam is $25 and takes some days to be ready, so it's important to plan ahead.

If the OP plans to visit Kampot, a visa run to Ha Tien could be a good option, as more nationalities qualify for visa exempt entry into that Vietnamese special zone there.
See, I had no idea that was even a thing, thank you! I'll look into Ha Tien.

And I'm South African
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Monica wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:48 pm We got the T-type visa :)
So unless you actually need to change to an E-type Visa, you don't need to make a Visa run, you can apply for a 1 month Extension of Stay of your Tourist Visa.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:05 pm Why do you need to make a Visa run? What type of Visa did you enter on?

If you entered on a T-type (Tourist) Visa you can apply for a 1 month Extension of Stay in-country either directly at the DoI Visa Office in Pochentong, or via a Visa Agency.

If you entered on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa then you can apply for an Extension of Stay (different categories, lengths, prices, etc. explained in other threads) via a Visa Agency (or directly at the DoI Visa Office if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation).

If you entered on a T-type Visa and are wanting to switch to an E-type Visa, then yes, a Visa run is necessary. Vietnam land borders are closer to PP than Thai land borders. If you want to spend a weekend in Bangkok, then I'd suggest flying.
Sorry if you answered already but regarding an E-Visa that is listed on the Govt website-- I remember you needed a letter from a business/school with the patent tax documents etc-- saying your going to be hired for a job.

If applying on the Govt' website-- is the letter still needed? or is it as simple as just clicking "Visa Type E" and paying the $42 bucks?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BklynBoy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:40 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:05 pm Why do you need to make a Visa run? What type of Visa did you enter on?

If you entered on a T-type (Tourist) Visa you can apply for a 1 month Extension of Stay in-country either directly at the DoI Visa Office in Pochentong, or via a Visa Agency.

If you entered on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa then you can apply for an Extension of Stay (different categories, lengths, prices, etc. explained in other threads) via a Visa Agency (or directly at the DoI Visa Office if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation).

If you entered on a T-type Visa and are wanting to switch to an E-type Visa, then yes, a Visa run is necessary. Vietnam land borders are closer to PP than Thai land borders. If you want to spend a weekend in Bangkok, then I'd suggest flying.
Sorry if you answered already but regarding an E-Visa that is listed on the Govt website-- I remember you needed a letter from a business/school with the patent tax documents etc-- saying your going to be hired for a job.

If applying on the Govt' website-- is the letter still needed? or is it as simple as just clicking "Visa Type E" and paying the $42 bucks?
The E-class visa is usually granted on entry to anyone who ticks the box. I'm not sure about applying online, but I don't see the point in that unless you are from a restricted country. Where it becomes an issue is with visa extensions. These will usually need supporting documents. I haven't had to get a visa myself in over a decade but I do have to supply recent FPCS screenshots and scans of work permits and whatever every six months. If you are legit you shouldn't have any problem getting these together before you need a new extension so don't fret.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic