Are PP airport immigration officers taking money to process the visa on arrival faster

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rockman Lover
Expatriate

Are PP airport immigration officers taking money to process the visa on arrival faster

Post by Rockman Lover »

I've heard of the "scam" at the Poipet border crossing where immigration officers ask for extra money or 1500 baht for visa on arrival and if you insist on paying the official rate ($30_ for your visa you'll be waiting a good long while for it to be issued.

I've never heard of that at Cambodian airports.

I flew in to Phnom Penh airport yesterday.

Exit plane, go downstairs.

The line on the far left side of the long assembly line immigration counter is to apply for visa on arrival.

It's often a bit of a scrum there, as it's unclear if it's one line, or 2-3 lines, or just push your way to the front.

I got to the back of the line but then saw that people were just cutting right in front of me from the left. I said "fuck this" and just walked around/past the line skippers and right up to the counter. I'm not going to stand in a line like a sucker if there is no line control at all.

So I hand my passport to a friendly female immigration officer.

It seemed some people were handing over money in this section of the counter even though it's designated for applications not payment, the payment area is to the right. So I had $40 in my hand when I handed her my passport.

She takes the passport and says "Do you need the visa quickly?"

I should have said "Yes" just to find out what happens next.

Instead I said "No" and pointed me to the back of the "visa payment" line, which was like forty people deep.

I got in the back of that line, the staff were holding up passports and calling people up to pay.

I thought I'd be there for a while, but they called me out of order very quickly and I paid and then walked over to "visa collection" and only waited like 30 seconds there.

Not sure why I seemingly got expedited service even though I didn't request or pay for it, maybe they prioritize the Western passports over Chinese, or over Chinese who don't pay tea money?

Anyway, has anyone else been asked at a Cambodian airport if they want their VOA quickly, or asked to pay a fee to expedite the process, and if so what was your experience?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Are PP airport immigration officers taking money to process the visa on arrival faster

Post by John Bingham »

No, I've never paid any extra fees to enter Cambodia. The VOA never takes long anyway.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Are PP airport immigration officers taking money to process the visa on arrival faster

Post by verdebandit »

Right now the MO if it isn't busy with long lines seems to be just quoting you a price $5 higher than it should be.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I had read about the "slow change scam" before and experienced a variation of it during Covid myself, which didn't fly because I realized it soon enough. A friend was recently asked $35 for a tourist visa and paid it, as he didn't realize that's the price for an ordinary visa.

So I wouldn't be surprised about an "express lane" at busy times, they seem to be enterprising folks there.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I was once asked to pay for a faster service (at Phnom Penh), back in 2019. I said no because I knew how long the process takes, and unless you only have carry on baggage, by the time you clear the visa area the checked baggage is only just appearing on the belt.

Having seen at a glance, the state of some of the visa and immigration forms, compared to those filled out by many westerners, it wouldn’t surprise me if legibility of writing wasn’t a problem. They have a lot of helpers at the bottom of the escalator, sometimes. But not always.

Another thought about apparent priority over Chinese- would Chinese passports be getting slightly more scrutiny given the number of deportees in the past? Cooperation between Chinese and Cambodian authorities.

Some of the staff at Phnom Penh have dealt with those pushing through the queues. Not all, but some. It’s subtle- the documents are taken, put in a pile on the side, and then dealt with when they see fit.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The second time I entered back in 2017 there was a huge crowd. I noticed a uniformed guy just outside of the booth to the right, handing a passport to someone. I went over to him and said I was in a hurry and could he do it quickly. $30 plus a $5 bung and I had my passport back in 5 minutes.

It was at that point I fell in love with the place.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I crosse Koh Kong border on 27/ and was asked37 dollar for a turist visa, i said to the officer: oooh, Koh Kong border is more expensive then PP airport ?? !! He just smiled and didnt answer. Later i checked my visa and there was no price on it, i thaught at PP-airport the have the price on it, or am i wrong ??
With the 30-years been trucking all over europe, including eastern-europe before they came in the EU i learned (and also on my recent road-trip to KOW), that the guy in the uniform is always right, thats rule nr 1. And if he is wrong, he goes back to rule nr 1 and is still right. And they know they have a stamp in their hand and you wont move for a meter if they dont use their stamp. Thats in the whole world the same. I could have discussed about the 7 dollar surcharge ofcourse and been scammed by some other document from my car, ofcourse. I just payed and smiled to him !! Luckily we were released from all those scamming custom-officers when the borders opened in europe in 92 !!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Visas don't have any price printed on them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:21 am Visas don't have any price printed on them.
Sometimes they put a stamp with the price on it or give you a receipt, but both seems to be hit and miss.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:50 am Having seen at a glance, the state of some of the visa and immigration forms, compared to those filled out by many westerners, it wouldn’t surprise me if legibility of writing wasn’t a problem.
Wait, you mean they actually try to read it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic