Are PP airport immigration officers taking money to process the visa on arrival faster

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Are PP airport immigration officers taking money to process the visa on arrival faster

Post by Kenr »

My visa has $35 imprinted on it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Are PP airport immigration officers taking money to process the visa on arrival faster

Post by John Bingham »

Kenr wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:53 am Mine has $35 printed on it
Fair enough. Actually I haven't had a VOA since about 2009, only extensions.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I got my son's K-visa put in on his new GB passport when I got back in January, I skipped the queue & gave it to the dude at the front who took it. Was processed super quickly & when he handed it back he said something about dollars. I just replied that the K-visa was of course free, and he just murmured again & handed it over and off I went. Those cheeky chaps.
:)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Rockman Lover wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:37 am I've heard of the "scam" at the Poipet border crossing where immigration officers ask for extra money or 1500 baht for visa on arrival and if you insist on paying the official rate ($30_ for your visa you'll be waiting a good long while for it to be issued.

I've never heard of that at Cambodian airports.

I flew in to Phnom Penh airport yesterday.

Exit plane, go downstairs.

The line on the far left side of the long assembly line immigration counter is to apply for visa on arrival.

It's often a bit of a scrum there, as it's unclear if it's one line, or 2-3 lines, or just push your way to the front.

I got to the back of the line but then saw that people were just cutting right in front of me from the left. I said "fuck this" and just walked around/past the line skippers and right up to the counter. I'm not going to stand in a line like a sucker if there is no line control at all.

So I hand my passport to a friendly female immigration officer.

It seemed some people were handing over money in this section of the counter even though it's designated for applications not payment, the payment area is to the right. So I had $40 in my hand when I handed her my passport.

She takes the passport and says "Do you need the visa quickly?"

I should have said "Yes" just to find out what happens next.

Instead I said "No" and pointed me to the back of the "visa payment" line, which was like forty people deep.

I got in the back of that line, the staff were holding up passports and calling people up to pay.

I thought I'd be there for a while, but they called me out of order very quickly and I paid and then walked over to "visa collection" and only waited like 30 seconds there.

Not sure why I seemingly got expedited service even though I didn't request or pay for it, maybe they prioritize the Western passports over Chinese, or over Chinese who don't pay tea money?

Anyway, has anyone else been asked at a Cambodian airport if they want their VOA quickly, or asked to pay a fee to expedite the process, and if so what was your experience?
The option to pay an extra $5 for a faster visa issuance has always been there since my first flight into PP during 2009's deadly swine flu pandemic
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Sorry didn’t read OP properly.
Comment deleted
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:21 am Visas don't have any price printed on them.
Not printed, but stamped in the top right hand corner, although I'm certain they don't stamp it for those naive enough to overpay based on several recent reports of people being overcharged, been happening fairly regularly in recent months.

If you apply for an EOS via an agency, they also don't stamp the price, but if you apply directly at the DoI Visa Office and pay the official fee, they stamp the price on.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

When we arrived at Aranyapathet train station the Tuktuk first drove to a "Cambodian Embassy" (does it still exist?) not far from the border. The driver asked 50$ each for "fast track visa". We denied and asked to be driven to the border. When we arrived there the first immigration officer asked for 1500 Baht. We denied and were put back in line waiting. 15 minutes later our visa was processed and we had a Visa with 30 US $ stamped on the right top corner. We were asked fo 5 dollars service fee on top..we denied and finally crossed the border.
work is for people who cant find truffles
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

truffledog wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:18 pm When we arrived at Aranyapathet train station the Tuktuk first drove to a "Cambodian Embassy" (does it still exist?) not far from the border. .
It is a Cambodian Consulate, and yep, still there.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

truffledog wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:18 pm When we arrived at Aranyapathet train station the Tuktuk first drove to a "Cambodian Embassy" (does it still exist?) not far from the border. The driver asked 50$ each for "fast track visa". We denied and asked to be driven to the border. When we arrived there the first immigration officer asked for 1500 Baht. We denied and were put back in line waiting. 15 minutes later our visa was processed and we had a Visa with 30 US $ stamped on the right top corner. We were asked fo 5 dollars service fee on top..we denied and finally crossed the border.
Same - they gave me my $25 visa double sharp when they saw three NY Jewish geeky kids walking to the border

I waited the other side and ended up sharing a hotel and taxi with them, They all got hosed for $50
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:06 am The second time I entered back in 2017 there was a huge crowd. I noticed a uniformed guy just outside of the booth to the right, handing a passport to someone. I went over to him and said I was in a hurry and could he do it quickly. $30 plus a $5 bung and I had my passport back in 5 minutes.

It was at that point I fell in love with the place.
Yes, 5 USD and a few minutes later everything is taken care of by the staff. It has been that way for over 20 years. Very usefull when You are in a hurry.

I tried once to stand in line, but after travelling for 28 hours and trying to adjust to the climate I soon changed my mind and was happy to spend the 5 USD.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic