Bangkok taxi ,meter scam from airport into town

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bangkok taxi ,meter scam from airport into town

Post by Kammekor »

Today a Bangkok taxi driver tried to scam me from the airport into town.

I got into the taxi, and we drove off. I noticed he didn't switch on the meter, but I didn't bother. I knew where I was going, I had just been in the line @ immigration for an hour and I knew what the price should be, about 180 THB + 50 THB airport surcharge.

When the driver asked me if we should take the highway, I told him there was no need, because he could just go by Phetchburi road. He then said he wanted 400 THB for the trip. I told him the regular price was about 180 THB plus surcharge, and that was what I would give him. Please note I only traveled with hand luggage, and I had it with me, not in the trunk.

He then lifted a small towel from his meter, and said he wanted to be paid by the meter. That's where the scam was. If you know how to read a meter in a taxi, it's easy to discover:

Every meter meter has three numbers:
in the upper left corner ( : 1) the number of minutes the taxi was stuck in traffic, either rolling slow or standing still.
in the right upper corner (1,8) the distance traveled.
the large number is the fee so far (43), it starts with 35 THB.

His meter was showing 19 minutes of slow driving / standing still, even though we had only been on the highway for about eight minutes. He must have switched his meter on on the way to the airport (guess he had a ride without using the meter) and apparently he had to wait for me some time.

I pointed this out to him, and he then started to pretend he didn't know, he pointed out the seals of his meter, etc etc.

When I got off I paid him 230 THB, the fair price as per the real meter.

Lesson: insist on them using the meter and if the meter is covered, lift it for your convenience. Check the time and the distance are set to zero.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bangkok taxi ,meter scam from airport into town

Post by cabron »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 pm Today a Bangkok taxi driver tried to scam me from the airport into town.

I got into the taxi, and we drove off. I noticed he didn't switch on the meter, but I didn't bother. I knew where I was going, I had just been in the line @ immigration for an hour and I knew what the price should be, about 180 THB + 50 THB airport surcharge.

When the driver asked me if we should take the highway, I told him there was no need, because he could just go by Phetchburi road. He then said he wanted 400 THB for the trip. I told him the regular price was about 180 THB plus surcharge, and that was what I would give him. Please note I only traveled with hand luggage, and I had it with me, not in the trunk.

He then lifted a small towel from his meter, and said he wanted to be paid by the meter. That's where the scam was. If you know how to read a meter in a taxi, it's easy to discover:

in the upper left corner ( : 1) the number of minutes the taxi was stuck in traffic, either rolling slow or standing still.

His meter was showing 19 minutes of slow driving / standing still, even though we had only been on the highway for about eight minutes. He must have switched his meter on on the way to the airport (guess he had a ride without using the meter) and apparently he had to wait for me some time.

I pointed this out to him, and he then started to pretend he didn't know, he pointed out the seals of his meter, etc etc.

Lesson: insist on them using the meter and if the meter is covered, lift it for your convenience. Check the time and the distance are set to zero.
Why going through that jazz, when the City Link will takes you to the city with no hassle.
Boredom is like a shroud
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cabron wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:34 pm Why going through that jazz, when the City Link will takes you to the city with no hassle.
I assume you mean the Airport RaiL link?
If I would have used it I would have needed a taxi for the last mile and a half anyway. Talking about hassle.

This was the first time ever I had a problem by the way. Well, problem.... I noticed the attempt to scam.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Well on the rare occasion that this happens at the airport, you bark "METER!!" at them as soon as the car starts moving. And in any case, check what the meter is showing initially. Or use Grab.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:51 pm Well on the rare occasion that this happens at the airport, you bark "METER!!" at them as soon as the car starts moving. And in any case, check what the meter is showing initially. Or use Grab.
QED

People have reported 'crooked' meters before, maybe this scam was pulled.
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ash333 »

The apps generally avoid the queues and scams.
Bolt is often a bit cheaper than grab but cash only.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ahhh Thailand,
one thing that is a given, if they think they can make an extra 100 baht off ya, they will try<< :-)

its been ages since i have taken a taxi out of the airport up there, but back when i did, i'd tell them meter before i even told them where i was headed.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ash333 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:02 pm The apps generally avoid the queues and scams.
Yesterday there was no queue at the airport taxi despite immigration being loaded (loads of Russian speaking people in line BTW).
In my experience Grab is more expensive than a metered taxi, sometimes up to 100% more. It can be convenient when traveling from a remote point, or from the tourist centers (where taxis will charge you crazy prices) though, or when you need a booking an advance.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

cabron wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:34 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 pm Today a Bangkok taxi driver tried to scam me from the airport into town.

Why going through that jazz, when the City Link will takes you to the city with no hassle.
"Why going through that jazz, when the City Link will takes you to the city with no hassle." It IS a hassle. If you miss it, you gotta wait for the next one. Then, once in town you have to get a cab anyway in most instances, so if the idea is to save time, its a 'barely / maybe' if its to save costs, its a 'barely / maybe' also. If you have luggage, it's a crap solution. Lots easier to not have to deal with transfers between train and taxi for the sake of a couple of dollars (literally) AND depending on time of day, taxi can actually be faster door to door.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:03 am
ash333 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:02 pm The apps generally avoid the queues and scams.
Yesterday there was no queue at the airport taxi despite immigration being loaded (loads of Russian speaking people in line BTW).
In my experience Grab is more expensive than a metered taxi, sometimes up to 100% more. It can be convenient when traveling from a remote point, or from the tourist centers (where taxis will charge you crazy prices) though, or when you need a booking an advance.
Grab is more expensive, but to me, it's an acceptable premium for peace of mind. With Covid behind us, I fly into Bangkok about once per week and the taxi queues are often substantial (at both airports). With Grab, by the time I would have walked to check how long the taxi queue is at that given time, I'm often in the car and on my way already.

Either way. The price of transport beats driving to the airport myself and parking there, as their outrageous parking fees make any taxi scam pale in comparison.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic