Bangkok taxi ,meter scam from airport into town

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bangkok taxi ,meter scam from airport into town

Post by Cooldude »

Sitting in BKK airport now. Just got a bus from the airport to drop me at my hotel in South Pattaya for 300 baht. I avoid taxis over here like the plague. Hope I don't need one my entire stay here.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Cooldude wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:13 pm Sitting in BKK airport now. Just got a bus from the airport to drop me at my hotel in South Pattaya for 300 baht. I avoid taxis over here like the plague. Hope I don't need one my entire stay here.
300 baht, it must be Bell Travel Service good company with a fleet of clean,comfortable busses.
Boredom is like a shroud
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The first time I was in Thailand I got a nice Mercedes taxi from Don Meung to Kao Sahn Road. I didn't even want to go to KSR. It was 1000 baht.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Last year, DMK to Asoke, I flagged down taxis at Arrivals. The first wanted 600thb, the second 400, I took the third at 300. No tolls.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:17 pm The first time I was in Thailand I got a nice Mercedes taxi from Don Meung to Kao Sahn Road. I didn't even want to go to KSR. It was 1000 baht.
You probably fell for the "limousine service" scam at the baggage belt before exiting through customs?? Or a tout outside?? Those folks selling transport to the city were everywhre in those times. In the worst case you would get a normal taxi for the 1000 Baht. At least you got ride in a Benz.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Stravaiger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:51 pm Last year, DMK to Asoke, I flagged down taxis at Arrivals. The first wanted 600thb, the second 400, I took the third at 300. No tolls.
Correction: I should have written Departures. Taxis dropping off there are happy to get a return fare. And no queues.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Arrived at BKK with 4 pax and a baby plus lots of luggage. Got a large taxi. The driver eyed up all the luggage (which fit easily into the back of the car) and said the fare would be 500 baht, this to Srinakarin, which is only one third of the distance to downtown.

I said turn on the meter which he did but kept insisting the fare would be 500. He handed me a card in Thai which he said enabled him to charge 100 baht per item of luggage as well as the airport 50 baht surcharge. As we drove, I googled the baggage charge and it seems he is right - but a 100 baht charge for a lot of luggage, not per item. Then we got stuck in a bad jam and the journey took took an hour. The driver talked on the phone with someone, asking how much surcharge he was allowed to charge. The meter on arrival read 232. I felt sorry for him due to the bad jam, so I gave him 400, i.e. 232+50=100. He expressed his disapproval and drove off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic