Why do some people keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country when it comes to skimpy outfits?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Laotiangirl
Tourist
Laos

Why do some people keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country when it comes to skimpy outfits?

Post by Laotiangirl »

I find it highly surprising when some people keep saying Thai women dress very conservatively and almost never wear skimpy outfits. I see younger Thai women wearing skimpy outfits that are similar to western women all the time nowadays. I mean plenty of younger Thai girls wear tiny booty shorts that barely cover anything . And to be honest, younger Thai women don’t exactly dress much conservatively than western women nowadays at least in big cities such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, etc.

Some of the most scantily dressed women I encountered are Thai women. I noticed there has been a huge increase in the number of younger Thai women wearing very skimpy outfits that are similar to what western women wear. As I mentioned, I've seen plenty of Thai girls wearing tiny booty shorts that were exposing their buttcheeks. Still not as bad as the USA and Canada but it still exists. You'll see Thai women wearing very short booty jeans shorts, crop tops, low cut dresses, et cetera, in the streets of Thailand.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Why do some people keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country when it comes to skimpy outfits?

Post by Bluenose »

I can't be the only one on here wondering what is behind your somewhat unusual interest (bordering on obsession) in this subject
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why do some people keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country when it comes to skimpy outfits?

Post by Alex »

Yes, and thank goodness for it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

who says?
all one needs do is look at the way Thai university students dress or go in any dept store to see they don't dress conservatively at all

and as above what is ur obsession with this?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:59 pm and as above what is ur obsession with this?
រ5000, it’s an amateur or newbie journalist, writing their first human interest piece

រ4000, it’s a 15year old, planning their first getaway having felt the full charge of puberty

រ3000, it’s another one of those moralising puritan types, waiting to save our souls, having dug up the dirt, and discovered that missionary isn’t the first choice for many.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I have to say all my Thai dining companions that I encounters are very modern and dressed tastefully well even if its sexy I wouldn't use the word skimpy but rather appropriately to the occasion. This is my experience and observation.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:07 pm I can't be the only one on here wondering what is behind your somewhat unusual interest (bordering on obsession) in this subject
Look at the other threads started,.very confused topics.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Why do some people want to assume how conservative a country is based on the habits of the teenagers and urban elite?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:50 am Why do some people want to assume how conservative a country is based on the habits of the teenagers and urban elite?
When they are bored.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Laotiangirl
Tourist
Laos

Post by Laotiangirl »

I know I am obsessed with this topic but I've been asking this question because some keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country regarding skimpy outfits and they even told me to its better to dress conservatively in order to not offend local Thai people. But contrary to what I heard from some people, I've seen plenty of local Thai women wearing very short jeans shorts that barely cover anything. I mean I have seen loads of thai girls wearing booty shorts that were exposing their buttcheeks. That's why I feel perplexed when some people keep saying Thai women dress very conservatively. Hope I made myself clear
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic