Container of Used Bikes from Japan

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fennster
Tourist

Container of Used Bikes from Japan

Post by Fennster »

I'm researching buying good condition used bikes from Japan for the purpose of fixing up, if needed, and donating to students. Anyone have experience ordering or just point me in the right direction. Thanks
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Container of Used Bikes from Japan

Post by phuketrichard »

be cheaper to just buy new Chinese ones
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Fennster wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:48 pm I'm researching buying good condition used bikes from Japan for the purpose of fixing up, if needed, and donating to students. Anyone have experience ordering or just point me in the right direction. Thanks
Several shops selling these near Orussey market, Street 107, south of 182.
Presumably the shopowners know how to buy contaimer loads. The question is - will they tell you?

Those used Japanese bikes are great to look at. All nice quality and the occasional really interesring vehicle.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Phsar Heng Ly towards the back, bring a local with you and ask one of the shops with hundreds of mangled bikes from Japanese shipping containers, they'll put you in the right direction
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

They will be cheap bikes until they hit the port terminal and you have to pay, fees, fees and more fees.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Second-hand bicycle and motorcycle imports from Japan are all over the place already. You would be entering a very saturated market.

Anyway, all the second-hand bicycles from Japan are usually in great condition. I bought a nice one for 85 bucks, looks like new. (Great for exercising my broken leg.)

Same with second-hand Japanese motorcycles. You can get great deals on new-looking Honda Cubs, much cheaper than the rip-off prices the importers charge due to their cartels and the limited market and the 30% tax on new vehicles...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:57 pm They will be cheap bikes until they hit the port terminal and you have to pay, fees, fees and more fees.
very negotiable..this is Cambodia.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:01 pm be cheaper to just buy new Chinese ones
Not the same thing at all, and people trust Japanese engineering much more. Chinese stuff has no resale value.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Fennster wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:48 pm I'm researching buying good condition used bikes from Japan for the purpose of fixing up, if needed, and donating to students. Anyone have experience ordering or just point me in the right direction. Thanks
Unless you are a registered company or NGO you will have problems importing that quantity. At best you will end up paying a 20% premium on the duty, and remember that Customs can decide you have undeclared the value on your docs and insist on a higher payment. Just because they are a donation doesn't mean they don't have a value.
As mentioned above, the sellers around O Russey and other places will have a much more cost-efficient supply chain than you will achieve, look to source from them.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Bluenose wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:38 am
Unless you are a registered company or NGO you will have problems importing any large quantity. At best you will end up paying a 20% premium on the duty, and remember that Customs can decide you have undeclared the value on your docs and insist on a higher payment. Just because they are a donation doesn't mean they don't have a value.
As mentioned above, the sellers around O Russey and other places will have a much more cost-efficient supply chain than you will achieve, look to source from them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic