A Smart Question? or not?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

A Smart Question? or not?

Post by Phnom Krom »

I have had many issues over the years with Smart, and now the straw has broken so to speak.

As a loyal customer for many years, I now am done with them. I spend about 50 dollars a month for myself and family for phones and internet.

Why on earth would they send a message to top up now or we will steal your $2 balance? Then steal it at 1201am. Then send a message that I need to top up by today to renew my monthly Thommorng data plan. Then another to say my phone is now restricted and if I dont pay up they will delete my number forever.

Wow. Self inflicted death anyone?

So weird. The greed and ignorance never ceases to amaze.

So should I go to Cellcard or Metfone or just go off grid?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: A Smart Question? or not?

Post by Freightdog »

Smart have had a few weird issues, recently, hinting at system failures. I lost all of my balance and data recently, for a couple of hours. I knew I was in credit.
The automated, very badly worded messages were similar.
And then the system recovered a few hours later.

I have been into their office at Tuol Kork, and the folks there were far more helpful than either Metfone of Cellcard ever were.

Just a glitch?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Also been experiencing some issues in the last week or so.
First time I have any issues at all so staying patient for now.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Phnom Krom wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm I have had many issues over the years with Smart, and now the straw has broken so to speak.

As a loyal customer for many years, I now am done with them. I spend about 50 dollars a month for myself and family for phones and internet.

Why on earth would they send a message to top up now or we will steal your $2 balance? Then steal it at 1201am. Then send a message that I need to top up by today to renew my monthly Thommorng data plan. Then another to say my phone is now restricted and if I dont pay up they will delete my number forever.

Using Smart is not very smart. Vote with your feet and move on to one of the other companies. I still have a Smart phone number and credit on it, but while in PP all I get is the little circle thingie going round and round . Outside of PP it's not so bad.

Strange as it may seem, while watching tv, ABC Australia using PPCTV, I get that circle thingie going round and round too. Is this a new disease that is floating through the Cambodian internet system.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I was in Thailand recently and they charged $2 a day for roaming, and I thought that was fair enough.

I am now in the Philippines and they want $10 a day. I am not going to pay that so I got a local sim card, valid for a month with 25GB loaded on it, all for $6. Guess which provider.....yes, Smart Philippines. Fuckin idiots, they could of had me at $2 a day.

Meanwhile they still took $20 from my account, the moment I connected on the first day and accepted roaming charges, and 24 hours later before I managed to get a sim card.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:25 pm I was in Thailand recently and they charged $2 a day for roaming, and I thought that was fair enough.

I am now in the Philippines and they want $10 a day. I am not going to pay that so I got a local sim card, valid for a month with 25GB loaded on it, all for $6. Guess which provider.....yes, Smart Philippines. Fuckin idiots, they could of had me at $2 a day.

Meanwhile they still took $20 from my account, the moment I connected on the first day and accepted roaming charges, and 24 hours later before I managed to get a sim card.
How long you away for? Will you lose your number?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Phnom Krom wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm I have had many issues over the years with Smart, and now the straw has broken so to speak.

I have a few answers for you regarding Smart

Firstly, they are phasing out Thormmorng in favour of a SmartLaor plan which gives less data

Secondly, I have noted sometimes when I punch in the code to renew or top up my data package- sometimes it throws an error message

At this stage, despite error message, the user is already topped up. This can be verified by punching the code to check data package status

However, if one takes error message at face value one might repeat the top up process and cost oneself double

Last week I was getting messages that my smart balance would expire by a certain time and date. It didn't

Smart clearly have some gremlins but it's still the best 4g provider in my area. I have pretty much unlimited internet for $8 a month
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

Thanks for your replies.

I caved. After calling Metfone and then chatting on their app, I was blown off. Tried to setup appt for internet install and new SIM cards. They basically ignored the exact info they reqiested and kept repeating "How else can we help you?" It reminded me of years ago having to go to the Metfone HQ. Lord help you if you have to go there. Anyway...

I caved and topped up my Smart Thommorng and was pleasantly surprised to see my 2USD they had stolen be returned to my balance.

Same question remains...Smart or not?

Sorry to bitch but good to share. Hope it may help others.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I have been all the way to the CEO's office at Metfone, I can assure you the ground floor at HQ is just the beginning of the fun! :D

Smart @Home user, with a backup of Cellcard/Smart tethered SIMs on Android phones. I use StreamOn8 as my plan as it seems way less fiddly than ThomMorng, or the new Laor plans imposed by the regulator. You can see Metfone & Cellcard also pulled into line on that, all the old $1=$1,000,000 +1!!! offers are gone, probably a good thing, but they've all gone offering x + y instead. Cellcard just changed my plan to whatever the new thing is without any warning, but hey ho. Internet is life, so I consider like switching from Vital to Kulen, or whatever - pick the one with the best signal in your area & run with it, warts and all.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

I try to make the most of my infrequent needs. I don't have hour-long conversations like the wifey. I just upgraded to Xtra long and used Smart Xchange. I was surprised to see the previous amount expire with the new $2 fill. I'll see if this will ultimately be the best deal for low-income demographics like mine. Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic