A Smart Question? or not?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: A Smart Question? or not?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I think this it's likely that this is across the networks.

Spigzy mentioned this and I found out from chatting with Cellcard that the TRC mandated an end to the old "exchange money" plans (where $1 = $333, etc.) and now they have all implemented new plans.

For example Smart changed from "Thom Morng" to "Laor", cellcard now has "Time to Rise". The difference seems to be that they now have to tell you exactly how much data and minutes calling you really have, instead of messing around with stuff like "You have $245 in credit".

After switching over I noticed a lot of system errors with messages and even calling is not working properly in some cases.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Since SMART changed the plan i have had several irritating issues.

Went to Snooky and even though I had good signal the data was playing up. I could open things ok ( FB, Websites, LINE etc ) but sending out was failing. I could send one photo ok but if I tried another it would fail - sending 2 or more at once always failed. I thought maybe I had ran out of data as the app said it looked all used so I topped up in the app and no good so I topped up again and rebooted - now I had 3 plans and all looked full.

Went to the SMART shop and they fooked about for 30 mins then charged me $2 to replace the sim but 30 mins later still had the problem. Went over to Kampot Smart shop and the girl scrolled thru everything for another 30 mins then told me there was no problem - she opened facebook and a web page and said look no problem. I explained it was an upload issue and demonstrated in several apps that it failed to send. I showed her Speedtest results that showed near zero upload speed. She started to be visibly agitated so I said to her the issue was clearly above her level of expertise and please get the manager. After 20mins she came out and also fucked around and put my sim into her phone and had similar issues. She then said she would send a report to technical dept but suddenly it started to work OK. Since then it works 90% of the time.

However I just went to PQ and the roaming didn't work with data at all. Rang SMART thru SMARTNAS and did all they suggested, including choosing manual service providers, and the guy said he would contact the tech ppl and they would get back to me. Of course they never replied. I swapped out the sim to my other phone with the same problem so clearly it was service related.

I suspect they are having issues with the new plan the coonts and wont admit it
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:34 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:25 pm I was in Thailand recently and they charged $2 a day for roaming, and I thought that was fair enough.

I am now in the Philippines and they want $10 a day. I am not going to pay that so I got a local sim card, valid for a month with 25GB loaded on it, all for $6. Guess which provider.....yes, Smart Philippines. Fuckin idiots, they could of had me at $2 a day.

Meanwhile they still took $20 from my account, the moment I connected on the first day and accepted roaming charges, and 24 hours later before I managed to get a sim card.
How long you away for? Will you lose your number?
I use Smart since 2015 or 16 and cant complain. If you are long out, just top up for a month, and if thats rexpired it takes an-other 3 months before you loose your number. What means topping up 3 times a year saves your number. THATS 6 dollars, for me thats worth it. Had sometimes last weeks some smalller issues because no coverage, but useally switching the phone off and on, did the trick !!
Oooh, yes, i lost my number during covid, because they changed their topup politics, you needed to top up 1 dollar before, and thats now 2 dollar every time !!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I'd like to update the sorry experience with Smart. They switched to Smart Laor and I tried to use it. It keeps taking my money to sign me up for Smart Laor and then when you check balance it says you are not enrolled in this plan.

Annoying but can't be bothered to chase after them about this.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Last time I used SMART was at my wedding. Only service that worked in the village. Data plan was gone in 30 minutes or so.

Wife still keeps SMART here in the US to keep the ABA app working. Top up every month or so.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Was in HCMC a couple of weeks ago, could not get the Smart roaming to work at all. Previous visits had never been a problem.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:03 am Last time I used SMART was at my wedding. Only service that worked in the village. Data plan was gone in 30 minutes or so.

Wife still keeps SMART here in the US to keep the ABA app working. Top up every month or so.
I split my year between here and Canada. I also have the ABA app loaded on my phone. When I get here for my 6 months, I pop a new SMART SIM on to my phone. When I get back to Canada, I toss my SMART and pop back in my Canadian SIM.

I have no issues using the ABA APP either here or back home. Have been using it since 2018.

Before everyone jumps in to tell me I could just top up my SMART periodically while I'm back home to maintain my SMART number, it's not that important to me. Most of people I keep in touch here all use some form of a communication APP: telegram, WhatsApp, signal or Viber. I have all those installed on my phone. The only reason I pop a SMART SIM is for the data plan. I just load $1 every week. I have never run out of data or air time. Besides, most people or business have SMART so if I do need to make a call, it's still free.
Province
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by Province »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:03 am Last time I used SMART was at my wedding. Only service that worked in the village. Data plan was gone in 30 minutes or so.

You can use any number in ABA app(us and european also),easy to chance number in app settings.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Newinkow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:01 am

I split my year between here and Canada. I also have the ABA app loaded on my phone. When I get here for my 6 months, I pop a new SMART SIM on to my phone. When I get back to Canada, I toss my SMART and pop back in my Canadian SIM.

I have no issues using the ABA APP either here or back home. Have been using it since 2018.

Before everyone jumps in to tell me I could just top up my SMART periodically while I'm back home to maintain my SMART number, it's not that important to me. Most of people I keep in touch here all use some form of a communication APP: telegram, WhatsApp, signal or Viber. I have all those installed on my phone. The only reason I pop a SMART SIM is for the data plan. I just load $1 every week. I have never run out of data or air time. Besides, most people or business have SMART so if I do need to make a call, it's still free.
Not sure if you are in Cambodia now or not. All of the telecoms have changed their plans according to some new regulations. You can't just continue on your old plan any more by plugging in $1- you have to change to a new plan.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

It's still a dollar and the new plan is ultimately better than thommong morning or whatever it was called
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic