What is some of the best food in Cambodia? Or food that is traditional to Cambodia?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Laotiangirl
Tourist
Laos

What is some of the best food in Cambodia? Or food that is traditional to Cambodia?

Post by Laotiangirl »

Fish amok is my favorite for sure. Really delicious. Nom Banh Chok the traditional khmer noodle dish is great as well. I think nom banh chok Is probably the most authentic truly khmer dish out of all cambodian foods and the one dish the older Khmer people love the most, lok lak and amok and the other stuff u can find similar in other south eat Asian cuisines.
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Re: What is some of the best food in Cambodia? Or food that is traditional to Cambodia?

Post by Marx »

There is a very rewarding body of Khmer knowledge in pickling and preserving fish, and using those products for flavouring other things. Not just prahok: my mother-in-law does at least five versions of that, but also produces things very similar to north European matjes, and makes condiments of various kinds of seasonally available smoked fish pounded with green mangoes. The usual answer to my question as to why the simplest vegetable dish that we are eating tastes so good is that one of these fish things has gone into the preparation. I think that this is one of the culinary genius points of the Mekong communities. The work that goes into producing these things is extraordinary, they are extremely time-consuming, and my mother-in-law worries that the skills are being lost.
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: What is some of the best food in Cambodia? Or food that is traditional to Cambodia?

Post by Freightdog »

Laotiangirl wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:44 am Fish amok is my favorite for sure. Really delicious. Nom Banh Chok the traditional khmer noodle dish is great as well. I think nom banh chok Is probably the most authentic truly khmer dish out of all cambodian foods and the one dish the older Khmer people love the most, lok lak and amok and the other stuff u can find similar in other south eat Asian cuisines.
I really like amok. Except at the market at the Oudong complex, where you need to masticate your way through the entire skeleton of gum shredding bones, which tends to take some of the fun out of it, and leaves a strange metallic taste.

The other half cooks a good Kha Sach Chrouk. Caramelised pork, with duck eggs.

PS. Curious variety of research topics for your articles
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Big fan of “pleeuh sach kor” - effectively a beef carpaccio on steroids, or “Saraman” beef curry- a slow cooked beef stew like dish with many herbs & peanuts. Melt in the mouth stuff.

#rosbif
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:43 pm Big fan of “pleeuh sach kor” - effectively a beef carpaccio on steroids, or “Saraman” beef curry- a slow cooked beef stew like dish with many herbs & peanuts. Melt in the mouth stuff.

#rosbif
Any recommendations for where to try?

(I’m a fan of Massaman curry, among others- yes, I know- it’s not khmer.)
Last edited by Freightdog on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Samlar Machu, don't know of the restaurants that make it.

It's a delicious sour soup, my wife's family makes it with beef and chicken.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I love that Kampot Pepper/lime/salt/sugar dip served to beef loklak
work is for people who cant find truffles
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Bai sak cheouk (pork and rice): breakfast of champions. Any street corners before 10 am. I always go for ones that use BBQ instead of fried pork.

Saraman curry: usually reserved for celebrations, but my favourite all time curry. Try high end Khmer restaurants

BBQ Beef skewers: snack time. Try psah boeng Leng kang.

So many amazing Cambodian dishes - preak leap restaurants used to be good places to try local fare.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:50 pm
Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:43 pm Big fan of “pleeuh sach kor” - effectively a beef carpaccio on steroids, or “Saraman” beef curry- a slow cooked beef stew like dish with many herbs & peanuts. Melt in the mouth stuff.

#rosbif
Any recommendations for where to try?

(I’m a fan of Massaman curry, among others- yes, I know- it’s not khmer.)
Hotel de Spigz, knocked up by Pirelli 5-star chef Mrs Spigz! :hattip:

The beef curry is second best from Kravanh in town, the pleeuh is a real tough one to recommend - it can be hit & miss, so I tend not to go beyond home for that nowadays. If I find a reliable one will let you know.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Does she do delivery?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic