journalist searching for scandinavian stories about homelessness in Cambodia/Thailand

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: journalist searching for scandinavian stories about homelessness in Cambodia/Thailand

Post by John Bingham »

Alex wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:06 pm Can't we just sell them off to one of those cyber crime gangs? Scam fellow Scandinavians, free breakfast.
They don't seem very reliable. Their embassies will pick up on it and I don't think their organs are in good shape either. Hard pass. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: journalist searching for scandinavian stories about homelessness in Cambodia/Thailand

Post by newsgatherer »

I think most Swedes feel pretty homeless here these days after the embassy was turned into a mission. At least the Danes have some sort of consulate going for them. But the Swedes would never go there, it would be a humiliation to them.

But begging on the street with a cardboard sign is not something anyone could do for long here, whether white or colored IMHO.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newsgatherer wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:06 am I think most Swedes feel pretty homeless here these days after the embassy was turned into a mission.
Why would that affect them? I've never had an embassy here and it's no big deal, I use the one in Hanoi for passports every 10 years.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

They're more attached to a nanny state, whereas your nation seems to have a different relationship with the sense of homelessness in general. But strictly a personal opinion here.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

I know a Swedish guy here who were homeless. Tried to get him a job but he got no passport so we're unable to apply. Now he buy stolen goods, refurbish and sell for money and got a apartment.

After a long time here there is nothing much to go back for i guess. In Cambodia you don't need so much money to have a good enough life and people don't judge as one would back home in sweden. In Cambodia if you are a ok guy people will give you the respect you deserve either way so i think that the thought of going back home and become isolated without friends etc is what keep one here. The Swedish life is very lonely and cold hearted compared what we who live here have got used to.
Charles Lindberg
Tourist
Canada

Post by Charles Lindberg »

general-chatter/polish-woman-holds-sign ... yo5jis2bm0

Maybe she still needs help. Is Poland close enough to Scandinavia?
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Charles Lindberg wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:42 pm Image

general-chatter/polish-woman-holds-sign ... yo5jis2bm0

Maybe she still needs help. Is Poland close enough to Scandinavia?
Seen her all over pp.

I know the location in that picture and it is where the local kids go to sniff glue under the bridge Rd1. Why did she go there of all places? Because even Khmer who have some knowledge just tell her to go to her embassy instead of giving her money?
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

newsgatherer wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:06 am I think most Swedes feel pretty homeless here these days after the embassy was turned into a mission.
The Swedish Embassy was here for political work, not to serve Swedish citizens. Even tho they did offer some basic services such as translations and as a collection points for passports and driving licenses you had to go to Bangkok for the application itself, because as mentioned they were not here to provide those services. If you wanted to apply for a visa you had to go to the German embassy, not the Swedish. A consulate can provide all the services that the embassy did for us and there is a consulate that does.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sweden had a large faction that supported the Khmer Rouge during their tenure as the worst government in the past century. Nowadays they are all too precious and virtue signaling.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:07 pm Sweden had a large faction that supported the Khmer Rouge during their tenure as the worst government in the past century. Nowadays they are all too precious and virtue signaling.
Would say Swedish are the same today just that it has changed a bit who those people who supported Pol pot would support today. They are romantic fanatics that always want to be blind supporters of the "opressed" without looking into what they actually stand for. To believe in the good of any human being. Didnt work back then and still dont work today.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic