What Happens to the Rescued Prostitutes, the Mental Cases, the Homeless Beggars?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: What Happens to the Rescued Prostitutes, the Mental Cases, the Homeless Beggars?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

cabron wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:12 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:05 pm
cabron wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:38 pm

Is there anyone which might have info for the drug addict rehab center :Beekeeper House on St. 240.
What info do you seek?

I know a few Filipino ladies who work there
I trying to pull someone out of the drug hell, I know it's a long shot and it will complicate and painfull. I need to talk to serious person working in that center.
Should visit their head office and speak to the people there for best info

Address: 197 Preah Ang Yukanthor Street (19), Phnom Penh
Phone: 077 221 010
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What Happens to the Rescued Prostitutes, the Mental Cases, the Homeless Beggars?

Post by cabron »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:42 pm
cabron wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:12 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:05 pm
cabron wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:38 pm

Is there anyone which might have info for the drug addict rehab center :Beekeeper House on St. 240.
What info do you seek?

I know a few Filipino ladies who work there
I trying to pull someone out of the drug hell, I know it's a long shot and it will complicate and painfull. I need to talk to serious person working in that center.
Should visit their head office and speak to the people there for best info

Address: 197 Preah Ang Yukanthor Street (19), Phnom Penh
Phone: 077 221 010
Jerry thank you much for the info.
Boredom is like a shroud
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Tearing down areas where normal local people live does not cure problems. If you have ever been inside of poon dop off st 51 and between st 154 and 172, you might have observed that there are families and local people of all ages living there. Most of the them are not drug users. Look at how most locals actually live anywhere in Cambodia on some of the lowest wages and poorest opportunities within ASEAN. Licadho and any other rights groups seemed to have lost influence in the KoW many years ago.

I don't see Cambodian rehab centers and leaders getting hip anytime soon. While I appreciate this article I really don't see any progress here coming. Cambodia is neck and neck with the likes of Myanmar in many categories whether the gentle readers here like it or not.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

bossho wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:29 pm Tearing down areas where normal local people live does not cure problems. If you have ever been inside of poon dop off st 51 and between st 154 and 172, you might have observed that there are families and local people of all ages living there. Most of the them are not drug users. Look at how most locals actually live anywhere in Cambodia on some of the lowest wages and poorest opportunities within ASEAN. Licadho and any other rights groups seemed to have lost influence in the KoW many years ago.

I don't see Cambodian rehab centers and leaders getting hip anytime soon. While I appreciate this article I really don't see any progress here coming. Cambodia is neck and neck with the likes of Myanmar in many categories whether the gentle readers here like it or not.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

What the hell Grand Illusion? Come out and speak your mind. Do you wish to tear down poon dop. Do you miss dead jenny so much ? What's your point? This thread is concerned with inadequate rehab centers in Cambodia, I make the larger point that it's all doomed but that your tear it down idea proves ignorance of any local neighborhood's conditions.

Please break down your thoughts for us.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:01 pm I went down 172 across 51 last night and there were crazy looking ice heads and dealers all over that junction. Grim.
Anyone knows the name or number of that small alley located beside the New Castle Guesthouse on St.51. There is a nasty bunch of lowlives living in that ghetto.
Boredom is like a shroud
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cabron wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:09 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:01 pm I went down 172 across 51 last night and there were crazy looking ice heads and dealers all over that junction. Grim.
Anyone knows the name or number of that small alley located beside the New Castle Guesthouse on St.51. There is a nasty bunch of lowlives living in that ghetto.
It's called Phum Dop, or village 10. When I lived here first a local I knew said he had found an apartment I could rent for only $50. It had a bedroom and TV he said. So we went to see it, down a lane off Pasteur. I was surprised by how many people were down there. The apartment block had garbage all over the bottom of the stairwell and a permanently open gate. It was dark as hell on the stairs and in the corridor. The guy said it was safe because the village chief lived at the end of the corridor. The apartment was a dump, a tiny place with a home-made wooden platform "upstairs" and an old lady laying on a mat watching a tiny black & white portable TV. The balcony was covered with opaque plastic sheeting. Anyway there was no chance I wanted to live there. I didn't see any dealing but I saw an article recently that said there were people dealing drugs openly there nowadays.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:19 pm
cabron wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:09 pm
It's called Phum Dop, or village 10. When I lived here first a local I knew said he had found an apartment I could rent for only $50. It had a bedroom and TV he said. So we went to see it, down a lane off Pasteur. I was surprised by how many people were down there. The apartment block had garbage all over the bottom of the stairwell and a permanently open gate. It was dark as hell on the stairs and in the corridor. The guy said it was safe because the village chief lived at the end of the corridor. The apartment was a dump, a tiny place with a home-made wooden platform "upstairs" and an old lady laying on a mat watching a tiny black & white portable TV. The balcony was covered with opaque plastic sheeting. Anyway there was no chance I wanted to live there. I didn't see any dealing but I saw an article recently that said there were people dealing drugs openly there nowadays.
very accurate description of Phum Dop, the rental price is still about the same presently. The drug dealing goes openly, there is also an internal prostitute network, most of the retired (sic) over the hill sex workers from the Golden Sorya Mall are living in that compound to accomodates the drug dealers living there ( $10. a pop ) in cash or dope.
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic