The good old days are gone

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

The good old days are gone

Post by Tootsfriend »

Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The good old days are gone

Post by Londonmail »

That picture must be before my time... 😁😁
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I was overthere at 31.12.2015 and they had special flyers for countdown, very very very happy hour, 25 cent beer from 6.00 to 11.00 pm if i remeber good,

hallellujaaahhh

the swimming pool was not the cleanesst i ever saw

and their toilet has still my price of worst ever seen in the world.

But who cares at 25 cent ??
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

The 25 cents beers however never were in regular glasses but smaller plastic ones. I always loved the happy hour at Utopia, even when it was Jaegerbombs or White Russians depending on the day. Several places had their daily happy hour at different timeslots, you could just follow the crowd going from one place to the other to drink cheap alcohol (not the weekly pub-crawl organised by Big Easy).

Always skipped the free shots at JJ's though, a bit too dodgy as administered by smelly barang staff straight from a bottle with who-knew-what inside.

As posted in another thread: the swimming pool at Utopia was nasty, someone dived in it empty when not yet completed and had ghastly head injuries and one time someone even drowned in it, was discovered during the night as a floating corpse.

truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

The price of beer..still a determinant factor for many travellers when choosing where to go???
work is for people who cant find truffles
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

truffledog wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:35 pm The price of beer..still a determinant factor for many travellers when choosing where to go???
Hahaha very probable, as long as many travelers ('I am not a tourist') stay in dorms in order to save money to spend on beer (and/or weed). Never understood why they then just didn't drink the Khmer 'whisky' 51 that used to cost something like 3500R for a whole bottle. Also explains why some used to work for places like Dolphin or JJ's - for the free accommodation supplied.

You will also notice in threads on Vietnam that the low price of beer is also mentioned frequently as an important factor.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Could you actually get drunk on 25c draft beer though ? :)

When I used to go to Sihanoukville, 2014-2018, the $1 draft beers must have been watered down a lot, because you couldn't get drunk on them, even though they were meant to be 5% :)

It was only when I discovered Kampot cider, in bottles 7%, that I had my 1st hangover in Cambodia :)

Always remember sitting in a quiet bar one afternoon on Otres 1 beach, when about 12 backpackers walked in. They very quickly left when they found out the beer was $1, rather than 50c's in the bar next door :)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

How does or did their "free accommodation" offer work? And where is or was this place, anyway?
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:49 pm Could you actually get drunk on 25c draft beer though ? :)

When I used to go to Sihanoukville, 2014-2018, the $1 draft beers must have been watered down a lot, because you couldn't get drunk on them, even though they were meant to be 5% :)

It was only when I discovered Kampot cider, in bottles 7%, that I had my 1st hangover in Cambodia :)

Always remember sitting in a quiet bar one afternoon on Otres 1 beach, when about 12 backpackers walked in. They very quickly left when they found out the beer was $1, rather than 50c's in the bar next door :)
I'd pay an extra 50 cents per beer to avoid backpackers.

I think one of my worst hangovers in Cambodia was when I found a place that allowed me to cash in my winning Cambodia pull tabs as I went along. Got more free ones than I could handle.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I never went to a bar regularly based on the price of a beer. If it's a nice premises I expect the beer to cost at least $1.50 a can. I don't like draft. There was a place called Showbox near Tuol Sleng that actually gave out free beers from 6.00 till 7.00 or something. It attracted a lot of dreadlocks backpacker types. The interior looked and smelled like a punk squat in Hackney in 1985. Knocked flat since, some interesting items turned up during the demolishment.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic