Cambodia Ranks Among Highest Average IQ Countries in the World

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Ranks Among Highest Average IQ Countries in the World

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Ranks 15th among Highest Average IQ Countries in the World
AKP Phnom Penh, February 09, 2023 --
Cambodians have been considered to have high IQ (Intelligence Quotient), a means to measure the cognitive capabilities of any individual.
In its recent 2023 release, the World Population Review ranked Cambodia 15th with an average IQ of 99.75, just behind China’s Macau (99.82) and before Canada (99.52).

According to the same source, Japan was crowned the highest average IQ in the world with a score of 106.48, followed by China's Taiwan at 106.47 and Singapore at 105.89.

At the bottom of the list are Nepal ranked 199th, Liberia 198th and Sierra Leone 197th, it added.

In addition, the World Population Review pointed out, Cambodia's population is projected to reach more than 22 million by 2069, up from more than 16 million currently.
By C. Nika
AKP

For more information, here is a link to the World Population Review webpage, and there are more details listed below: https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country
Which Country Has the Highest Average IQ?
According to a 2019 study by researchers Richard Lynn and David Becker at the Ulster Institute, the highest average IQ scores in the world belong to the Japanese, with the citizens of Taiwan and Singapore close behind. The top 10 list appears below, and the full rankings appear in the table further down this page.
Top 10 Countries with the Highest Average IQ - Ulster Institute 2019:*

Japan - 106.49
Taiwan - 106.47
Singapore - 105.89
Hong Kong (China) - 105.37
China - 104.10
South Korea - 102.35
Belarus - 101.60
Finland - 101.20
Liechtenstein - 101.07
Netherlands & Germany (tie) - 100.74

*It bears mentioning that Lynn's studies, while comprehensive, tend to spark considerable debate. Some researchers dispute the techniques Lynn employs to calculate estimates when hard data is lacking. Others claim Lynn, an unabashed eugenicist, misinterprets his data to support conclusions that are both scientifically inaccurate and supportive of white supremacy.

As the data demonstrates, there is a wide range of average IQ scores across the globe. Some researchers divide the world's countries into ranked categories based on their average IQ scores. These averages were obtained by starting with the country's average score in standard IQ tests (a common starting point), then fine-tuning those scores with additional measurements, such as national math, reading, and science assessments, while also factoring in the overall quality of the data.

Other Methods of Measuring Intelligence

However, it's important to remember that IQ isn't the only way to measure intelligence. There are actually many different ways to seek out the smartest countries in the world, and many of them have nothing to do with average IQ. For instance, you could compare each country's academic test scores, its likelihood of "expanding the frontier of knowledge" and introducing new data technologies (Intelligence Capital Index), or even the number of Nobel Prizes each country has won. In fact, you could even combine all three stats.

Top 10 Smartest Countries Based on Students' Test Scores in Reading, Math and Science - OECD PISA 2018:

China - 555, 591, 590
Singapore - 549, 569, 551
Macau (China) - 525, 558, 544
Hong Kong (China) - 524, 551, 517
Estonia - 523, 523, 530
Canada - 520, 512, 518
Finland - 520, 507, 522
Ireland - 518, 500, 496
Korea - 514, 526, 519
Poland - 512, 516, 511

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Intelligence Capital Index - 2017:

United States - 74.88 (A+)
United Kingdom - 64.19 (A)
Germany - 64.18 (A)
Australia - 63.96 (A)
Singapore - 63.60 (A)
Sweden - 61.58 (A)
Switzerland - 61.57 (A)
Canada - 61.15 (A)
Finland - 60.45 (A)
Denmark - 60.25 (A)

Shows Rank, Country name, IQ average, pop.2023:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodia Ranks Among Highest Average IQ Countries in the World

Post by Alex »

I'm not surprised. I've always thought that Khmers are a lot sharper than Thais. I recently saw some materials from a private university in Phnom Penh and they reminded me of studying at a university in the West. Whenever I've seen materials from a Thai university, on the other hand, I've felt reminded of high school.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

They must be number one when it comes to IQ points per USD spend on education. :bow:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

bollox
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

Why has the mean IQ in the USA and United Kingdom dropped below 100.
It used to be higher. What is driving this dumbing down?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Gary Small wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:08 pm Why has the mean IQ in the USA and United Kingdom dropped below 100.
Lead plumbing maybe? There's a reason it was banned in a lot of places.
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

White supremacy? The list looks like Asian supremacy.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Gary Small wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:08 pm Why has the mean IQ in the USA and United Kingdom dropped below 100.

Could have something to do with Donald Trump no longer being a President.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:22 pm

Could have something to do with Donald Trump no longer being a President.
:please:

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have taken just one IQ test in my life. Did OK. I was around 14 or 15 at school so I wonder how accurate the scoring can be globally? I know for sure that at least half my class flunked it and said they were finished quickly so they would be let go outside early. A fairly high IQ move at the expense of scoring poorly in an IQ test
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic