Cambodia Ranks Among Highest Average IQ Countries in the World

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Cambodia Ranks Among Highest Average IQ Countries in the World

Post by Bongmab69 »

Probably they have some realy khmer word for it, even in french its different !! Dont remember exactly what it was but the word "IQ-test" nobody in France or Spain ever heard about !!
But okay, they are not really the smartest people from Europe either !! hahahah
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:03 pm The fact that a person does not know what an IQ score or test us does not preclude them from having a high IQ
The point is, if they don't even know what it is, what is the chance that they have actually had one? My point is that I guess the sample for this is very small.

Even in my own country I'm not sure if many people even have an IQ test?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Digging a little bit, clicking on the first link in CEO article gets you https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country. If you clikc on "Show sources" at the top, it takes you to https://brainstats.com/en/average-iq which actually shows Cambodia down in the 53rd place (as many countries share the same rank.)

That page also links to https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Nations_and ... %20ability which discusses the research community's reception of Lynn and Vanhanen's reearch.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Of course the average khmer is smart. They have to be, to be able to have convinced us they are so dumb for so long. And we never suspected. If that's not smart you can call me an Aussie.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Knowing KoW, they sent their best candidate, who happens to be a lecturer overseas, with a newly-granted Cambodian citizenship, and hoping to visit Cambodia, someday. He scored ~200. The only other participant got one point, for almost getting one question correct when he put his sister's name on the paper, instead of his. They also doubted his birth date was correct, however they couldn't actually prove that he wasn't 346 years old.
You used to need a bit over a hundred to be average. Not the case, according to the survey.
Academic prowess, while having a correlation with IQ, can come down to, in large part, application. Knowledge is remembering, as opposed to solving.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

violet wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:46 pm
Gary Small wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:12 pm As an employer the most important information you can get from a candidate is their IQ . Most armed forces will run a test to determine this.
I think of the top of my head the American army will not employ anybody with an IQ lower than 80. That's a significant percentage of the population. Is this fair?
Shit. 80 is pretty low. I find it scary that anyone under 90 is defending us. I’d prefer they be above 100 - I do recognise that IQ tests have bias though
The ones scoring low do the heavy lifting , I suppose.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Gary Small wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:12 pm As an employer the most important information you can get from a candidate is their IQ . Most armed forces will run a test to determine this.
I think of the top of my head the American army will not employ anybody with an IQ lower than 80. That's a significant percentage of the population. Is this fair?
Forrest Gump was just a movie, but I have known a few like him - marginally retarded but excellent as troopers, following orders without question, mastering physical skills with ease with constant repetition, walking into firefights rather than running in the opposite direction.....the world always needs good cannon fodder.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

A good IQ test is something you need to train for. It must be introduced from an early age in a playful way. It's the same with math too. Most people wouldn't be able to answer simple SAT math questions before re-studying the material. Many went to school and got good grades because of social prejudice. You cannot quantify intelligence. You never know if someone is feigning weakness while playing studid. Sun Tzu said never underestimate your opponent. He was right as always.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

Bongmab69 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:45 pm Probably they have some realy khmer word for it, even in french its different !! Dont remember exactly what it was but the word "IQ-test" nobody in France or Spain ever heard about !!
But okay, they are not really the smartest people from Europe either !! hahahah
Nope, the word used in french is Quotient Intellectuel, QI as you may understand :facepalm:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Different data. Fun watch, too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic