Motodups Vs Tuktuks: Smackdown at Poipet International Gate

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Motodups Vs Tuktuks: Smackdown at Poipet International Gate

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Banteay Meanchey Province): On the morning of February 6, 2023, at Poipet International Gate in Banteay Meanchey Province, Cambodia, two groups of motorbike taxis and tuktuk drivers, a total of nearly 100 people*, started to fight each other.
According to a source from the motodup (motorbike-taxi) group, the reason for the violence was due to the rivalry between them and the tuktuk drivers. He said that for some time now, there has been bad feeling at the border gate between the two means of transport. Until this fight broke out, the clashes had remained verbal, as the two sides traded insults.
According to this source (from the motodup side), the violence erupted on 6 February because one of the tuktuk drivers 'stole' some customers from the motodups. A group of motodups then went to threaten the tuktuk driver, and then the other tuktuk drivers saw this and came to his defence. Then there was a big fight, using fists and sticks, involving most of the tuktuk drivers and motodups who were waiting at the border for customers.
Immigration police officials at the Poipet International Gate said that when the violence broke out between the two groups of men,
police forces intervened to disperse them immediately. The border authorities have ordered the motodups and the tuktuk drivers to put a stop to any future violence, because it affects public order, and leaves a bad impression of insecurity to those national and international visitors entering and leaving Cambodia by the Poipet International border gate.

*(According to Kohsantepheapdaily, almost a hundred men took part in the brawl.)
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Motodups Vs Tuktuks: Smackdown at Poipet International Gate

Post by Bluenose »

I'm not sure the first photo is 6 Feb, if it is they've done a very fast rebuilding job
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

If this was America, they would have all pulled out guns and at least half would be dead.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:01 am If this was America, they would have all pulled out guns and at least half would be dead.
Would they have? Even during the BLM riots, I don’t remember hearing about any major shoot-outs.

I do think it’s fair, though, to say that Cambodians show a little more restraint in these types of situations than some Americans do, otherwise you might have seen the moto-dops smashing up the local market, and running out with their arms full of looted mangoes.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

I don't find many motodups around PP anymore unfortunately.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gazzy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:16 am I don't find many motodups around PP anymore unfortunately.
There are still some working around markets.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Motodops traded their motos for Indian tuktuks I think
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Oh and given the propensity for users to post music videos in relation to article headlines I can't believe no one has posted the most obvious one for this.

"Kung Fu Fighting"
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The competent authorities should pile up the motorbikes and tuktuks of all involved and set them on fire. That would be a fair punishment for tarnishing the good reputation of this fine border town.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Gazzy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:16 am I don't find many motodups around PP anymore unfortunately.
They used to be a plague, now I'm missing them.
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic