Five Cambodian Public Toilets Win ASEAN Awards

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Five Cambodian Public Toilets Win ASEAN Awards

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia is certainly full of surprises. Well done to the five winning WCs.

February 8, 2023
Cambodia wins five ASEAN Standard Public Toilet Awards
Hang Punreay / Khmer Times
Five public toilets in Cambodia have won the ASEAN Standard Public Toilet Awards 2023 for providing clean, comfortable and orderly services.

The awards were given to Aeon Mall Phnom Penh, Public Toilet No. 4 in Sihanoukville, Srah Srang Public Toilet in Angkor Park, Siem Reap city, one in a PTT petrol station in Koh Kong province and a public toilet at Pich Nil rest area at the corner of the traffic light in Kampong Speu province.

The Director General of Tourism Development and International Cooperation of the Ministry of Tourism, Thong Rathasak, said that Cambodia received the ASEAN Standard Public Toilet Award, along with a number of other awards.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/1234518/ca ... et-awards/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Five Cambodian Public Toilets Win ASEAN Awards

Post by Freightdog »

Ok. Who is going to put that on their CV?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I cant believe that public funds are used to finance such a ridiculous program as "the best public toilet". Un_fcking_real! Please wake me up.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

truffledog wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 am I cant believe that public funds are used to finance such a ridiculous program as "the best public toilet". Un_fcking_real! Please wake me up.
Lol, this is actually the second year for the Best Public Toilet Awards, so yes it's real.
My first reaction to this nonsense was just like you, WTF ? But, then again. Where to start ? As someone who has done many trips around Cambodia with family and friends in mini-vans and taxis, I am sincerely grateful for the effort that has been put into "toilet stops" by the private sector. Things have improved immensely, thank you x100 to Pich Nil (on the road between Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville. )

But these are privately owned conveniences for customers, and as for "public toilets" - I don't know any real public toilets, except by reputation, such as the infamous public toilets on riverside, where people reportedly get sliced after dark, and the equally notorious Sihanoukville beach public toilets, which evacuate the waste products directly into the crystalline waters of Occheuteal Beach. ( :facepalm: Clean Beach Award!!)
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:57 am
truffledog wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 am I cant believe that public funds are used to finance such a ridiculous program as "the best public toilet". Un_fcking_real! Please wake me up.
But these are privately owned conveniences for customers, and as for "public toilets" - I don't know any real public toilets, except by reputation, such as the infamous public toilets on riverside, where people reportedly get sliced after dark, and the equally notorious Sihanoukville beach public toilets, which evacuate the waste products directly into the crystalline waters of Occheuteal Beach. ( :facepalm: Clean Beach Award!!)
Where do you get this idea? I think you confuse with the old bungalows and restaurants that released their shit directly to sea. The public toilets on the beach are connected to the city sewage system. And they are actually great addition. Nice to get shower after a swim. And they are always very clean.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Hopefully it will be an inspiration for those still operating shitty public toilets to clean up their act - and win an award next time.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I would say PTT deserved an award, in my experience you can trust their gas stations to always have really good clean toilets
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:29 pm Ok. Who is going to put that on their CV?
Whoever it is, I'm here for them haha!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I say toilets here are very good, especially comapared to those in equivalent countries in other continents but also compared to Europe and the USA. And much more available, in the West they can be hard to find, and when you find one there is only one disabled-friendly cubicle with a long queue outside. Big retail parks (not shopping malls) usually have no toilet at all.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Maybe they could install one in the Central Bus Depot area so they dont have to piss all over the back wall in the alley.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic