Smart free modem if you pay two months $30

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Smart free modem if you pay two months $30

Post by Ozinasia »

Internet sucks of late unstable and slow at times . I have seen some advertisements FREE SMART modem and installation if you pay two months at $15.00 or higher speed at $18.00 just book installed the next day .... has anyone tried these ? I would likely opt for the $18 a month any good ? :please:
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Smart free modem if you pay two months $30

Post by rogerrabbit »

I have used it. It's good, but depends totally where you are located. As it use the mobile network and if your neighbourhood many people use the network same time it can get slowish. And some part of country / city the mobile signal is just so weak that it is slow always or doesn't work at all.

If you have Smart mobile connection, try with it first. You can also check from SmartNas mobile app do you have Smart coverage in your area. If both are fine, then should be good for basic surfing. The $15 is fine for Netflix/Youtube HD streaming, if just one person using it.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:22 pm Internet sucks of late unstable and slow at times . I have seen some advertisements FREE SMART modem and installation if you pay two months at $15.00 or higher speed at $18.00 just book installed the next day .... has anyone tried these ? I would likely opt for the $18 a month any good ? :please:
I gave up with that Smart Home. It was always too slow. Again, it may depend on the area you are in but I would have thought the Old Market area would have a good signal, but no.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I use it, not had any problems at all.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Does it list the data limits or would it be unlimited for a month? I've always thought it was a glorified hotspot
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:13 pm Does it list the data limits or would it be unlimited for a month? I've always thought it was a glorified hotspot
Not unlimited. I think 250GB / month and 500GB / month data included in plans and if you exceed those significantly then they limit the speed. And yes it's just a normal mobile data subscription basically.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

I have been using it for a while, as previously stated it's dependent on mobile coverage so make sure you are getting 5 bars on the network indicator, I'm near Old Market and have no problems in general with coverage and speeds, but I'm not downloading movies.
The other point is during peak times, it can slow down ie for example btw 5 & 7pm,particularly Fri-Sun
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've been using it since OpenNet went down. It seems to work fine.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

thanks lady and gents appreciate the responses, so I am gonna tell the guy he needs to install and show me working first I can get by with what I have now but many, many times Netflix for example goes off and I get to watch that confounded red circle going round and round for 10 mins then some part of the movie then the red round thingy again drives me nuts worse then commercials so I am hoping it might be a good backstop
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Up front, it’s $30. There is no installation, really. Stick the SIM card in. Follow the instructions. You can take it where you like. I’ve taken it up to the province, before.

After those 2 months, renewal is entirely up to you. $15/1 month.

Tuol Sangkae
Until about 6~7 weeks ago, our service was ok. Sufficient to run 1, sometimes 2 TVs. Or a few iPads, etc. recently, it struggles to stream for 1 TV if someone turns on YouTube on the iPad.

They have had a few signal dropouts, completely. Usually very late at night. But that was the entire Smart service affected. Down to basic cellphone signal.

It’s not as good as it was.
Last edited by Freightdog on Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic