1500 Riel VN Jasmine tea, is it safe to consume?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

1500 Riel VN Jasmine tea, is it safe to consume?

Post by dave the wave »

I bought this tea. At first i thought i struck the jack pot because it was so cheap and an incredible smell and favor. Then i realized it was some chemical perfume added.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 1500 Riel VN Jasmine tea, is it safe to consume?

Post by armchairlawyer »

dave the wave wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:47 pm I bought this tea. At first i thought i struck the jack pot because it was so cheap and an incredible smell and favor. Then i realized it was some chemical perfume added.
Probably best avoided if you can afford something better.
I love the tea (and coffee) shop neat the new market, named Sin Veng Yu. It's on google maps.
Such a beautiful shop (and staff) and fair prices.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Well… hold on. How much (qty), packaged how, bought where?

I’ve bought some pretty decent tea in a market near Oudong. Pretty good tea, dirt cheap.

Yes, there’s heavily perfumed stuff about, which is clearly enhanced. And then there’s good stuff, cheap.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

available everywhere in Asia and very good quality,
work is for people who cant find truffles
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

dave the wave wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:47 pm I bought this tea. At first i thought i struck the jack pot because it was so cheap and an incredible smell and favor. Then i realized it was some chemical perfume added.
You didn't post a picture. But cheap green tea is quite common, so I wouldn't automatically discard it. Why not post a picture?

Stay away from the Vietnamese coffee though.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Both coffee and tea are sold on the world market. Any coffee or tea sold at a bargain, unless you buy it from the farm you know and trust, should be handled with suspicion.
There's no bargains on the world market, and if there's one occasionally the experienced buyers will get it before you even noticed the bargain.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Chatramue jasmine green tea is good and cheap. Found in about 90% of the communal tea pots on tables here. 3.50 or so for a very large tin. Available just about everywhere.

Sent from my V2202 using Tapatalk

dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

Post by dave the wave »

It's called Tra Xanh Huong Lai

it smells really perfumey and fragrant. After it make the tea the pot still smells of the perfume.

https://cf.shopee.com.my/file/3fe88bcfa ... 9285a834b5
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic