A fond farewell(ish).

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: A fond farewell(ish).

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Cam Nivag wrote:Oh, I thought you were doing all the excellent translations of Khmer news articles for CEO. Maybe another translator is doing that.

If, however, you are doing those translations, and not being paid, then I don't know why you and other posters demonize Raffles for exploiting you by only paying you $30 a month. At least it's more than zero.
I might have to post during happy hour only if CEO starts charging us $300 a day.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Damn, I would be super-broke.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Aren't you?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Cam Nivag wrote:Oh, I thought you were doing all the excellent translations of Khmer news articles for CEO. Maybe another translator is doing that.

If, however, you are doing those translations, and not being paid, then I don't know why you and other posters demonize Raffles for exploiting you by only paying you $30 a month. At least it's more than zero.
@Cam Nivag, i have no time to do translation for CEO, as beside from my normal job, i am a freelance translator. I have things to do. Actually i have never wanted to tell people here i am a freelance translator, because i don't want them to feel that i am sticking around here to get to know people for business benefit.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

BOFH wrote:Aren't you?
No, just very broke.

Super-broke is the next level.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Good luck and thanks OD
:)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Samouth wrote: @Cam Nivag, i have no time to do translation for CEO, as beside from my normal job, i am a freelance translator.
Oh, sorry, Samouth, you may have misunderstood me. I was just commending you for the translations of Khmer news articles you do for CEOCambodiaNews. They are always fast and very informative and you deserve credit for them. I know that you used to post excellent article translations in the newsworthy section under the name Samouth until early this year. Then when you stopped doing that, CEOCambodiaNews began posting excellent news article translations with the same format and same quality that we have always appreciated from you.

There are only a few errors in the CEOCambodiaNews translations from time to time, for example missing articles like "a" and "the," and often the translations will say "the suspect names John Smith" instead of "the suspect named John Smith." You sometimes make those mistakes in your regular postings as Samouth too, but your English is excellent overall of course.

Samouth wrote:Actually i have never wanted to tell people here i am a freelance translator, because i don't want them to feel that i am sticking around here to get to know people for business benefit.
I don't think there is anything wrong with using this website for a business benefit if you were inclined to do that. Four months ago you posted your translator CV in a post called Job Needed, that's not inappropriate at all.

I tend to point out hypocrisy where I see it, like my criticism of the K440 people who were all making imaginary feel-good pledges to help Singlet Senior. My point here is that most of the CEO posters condemned Raffles for exploiting you by paying you a below market rate as a waiter, yet you're doing a lot of hard work translating articles for them, and according to you it's without compensation. To me, that's inconsistent and hypocritical and exploitative on their part.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Christ on a stick, he doesn't do the translations for CEO.

Rama's been doing free translations for K440, and even us before. It's a hobby for him, he's said it again and again. Makes sense to me. I've never made a single penny from CEO, and the fact that we've made no attempt whatsoever to use Google Adsense should make it pretty obvious that I don't give a fuck about making money through this site. Sure, I'll probably eventually lift a finger to get some paid banners, but it's always been probably the last thing on my to-do list.

Hell, even you've written articles for free, I assume it's because you think it's a hobby, no? Using your logic, me, Rama nor yourself could ever complain about a job position that paid too little because we've all done "work" for free. :facepalm:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Cam Nivag wrote:I tend to be a snide bitch whenever I get the chance, because it makes my insular life seem like it means something.
Fixed that for you.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

vladimir wrote:
Cam Nivag wrote:I tend to be a snide bitch whenever I get the chance, because it makes my insular life seem like it means something.
Fixed that for you.

Well, that seems harsh. Three weeks ago you were lavishing praise on me for criticizing the fake pledgers on the other site. You even started a new thread A good lawyer - who would thunk it?. If I criticize anyone on the other site you love it, but if I question anything here, I'm a snide bitch?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic