Chess clubs in PP

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chess clubs in PP

Post by Drizzle »

Does anybody know of 'world' chess clubs /places to play in PP?
Not the khmer style chess.
Thanks
Gary Small
Expatriate

Re: Chess clubs in PP

Post by Gary Small »

I play online, dm me if you want to play.
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Drizzle »

Gary Small wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:48 pm I play online, dm me if you want to play.
Idk how to dm.
Play lichess or chess.com? Either way dm me your username/s
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Drizzle wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:08 pm
Gary Small wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:48 pm I play online, dm me if you want to play.
Idk how to dm.
Play lichess or chess.com? Either way dm me your username/s
Hi Drizzle,

Here is how you DM/PM (Private Message) another member of CEO.

- at the top blue menu bar with the title "Cambodian Expat Online", press the 3rd icon from the right. This will bring you to the Private Message screen.

- press the "New Private Message" icon at the middle left of the screen.

- add the recipient you want to send the message to

- add title/subject line to your message

- write your message in the message section.

- submit.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Don't know about chess clubs but I know a guy who goes frequently to play at Penh House. Also I have seen people playing at Farm to Table in BKK1.

Also there is The Happy Damrei Boardgames Cafe that has couple of chess sets.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

White monkey hotel in Siem Reap has a chess set up, I think there's also a chess meetup in Siem reap, or atleast there was about a year ago. It was run by a russian guy on Sok San road. It's a bit difficult because Cambodians have there own chess game and there's not that many expats that play, or could be bothered turning up, unless they needed the social interaction. In Indonesia all the local dudes played chess, back in the 90's. Over the board is so much different than playing on your phone. It's quite enjoyable to experience the difference. I was pathetic over the board. I got into it a few years ago on chess.com. I heard there's going to be a queen's gambit 2. You hardly ever have a female opponent on chess.com. Ladies, if you want to turn a man on, learn chess!.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

Oh, Bella's bar on Sok San Road, almost opposite temple bar, they have a rad chess set behind the bar with magnetic pieces. I played there the other day. It's quite hard to find a chess set in Cambodia, I had one I got from the Chinese supermarket for about 10 bucks a couple of years ago, but it was cheap crap. Playing with a good chess board and pieces really adds to the experience. Maybe that could be a business idea if someone wanted a business visa, importing and selling quality chess sets, or making them. At one point I was considering a business visa by freelance writing a book about a dog who joins a hockey team and helps them win the championship. But that's another story. I've got to learn some more chess lines,
and stop playing bullet chess, I'm too addicted to the fried liver, it's too tempting for a quick ego boost win.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic