Old laptop SSD replacement - or new laptop

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Old laptop SSD replacement - or new laptop

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I've had my laptop for about 7 years now and it's been amazingly resilient. Unfortunately when I bought it the company had only small memory SSDs available of about 100 GB. This has been a long term issue as I have to transfer stuff off the drive onto external storage.

Recently I've been having some performance problems with the computer, especially as relates to my browser. I usually have a lot of tabs open and it seems that this eats up some of the minimal memory available. Lately the browser will just shut down or stop functioning and have to be re-opened. Or sometimes I have to shut down to clear out the cache/temp files for the browser to function.

Yesterday, I got a blue screen for the first time ever. I also thought it could be that the RAM is malfunctioning.

I was considering just getting a new SSD for the computer, but I need to find one that fits this computer. I previously did this kind of work in Cambodia with my wife's computer. I'd rather find the SSD and then reinstall Windows my self using a Windows restore USB (many shops here don't know how to do this and just install crack Windows, which is a bad solution as in my experience the crack Windows eventually stops working).

But since there are many here with far more tech knowledge, I wonder whether anyone has advice on whether this is the best option? Does it make sense to replace the SSD or is really better just to get a new laptop? How can I be sure it is only a lack of SSD memory and not a RAM issue? Thanks for your input.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Old laptop SSD replacement - or new laptop

Post by Cooldude »

The last time I had to buy a new laptop was because the operating platform stopped issuing updates which pretty much rendered my old laptop useless for many applications. Yours is seven years old and you might also find yourself with the same problem soon.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

7 years is a lot. Finding the same sized SSD won't be too difficult but finding one with the correct bus (connector) might be a challenge. Als check the max. size supported by your hardware or it might not work.
Before you start your search check which disk controller the laptop uses.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:42 pm I've had my laptop for about 7 years now and it's been amazingly resilient. Unfortunately when I bought it the company had only small memory SSDs available of about 100 GB. This has been a long term issue as I have to transfer stuff off the drive onto external storage.

Recently I've been having some performance problems with the computer, especially as relates to my browser. I usually have a lot of tabs open and it seems that this eats up some of the minimal memory available. Lately the browser will just shut down or stop functioning and have to be re-opened. Or sometimes I have to shut down to clear out the cache/temp files for the browser to function.

Yesterday, I got a blue screen for the first time ever. I also thought it could be that the RAM is malfunctioning.

I was considering just getting a new SSD for the computer, but I need to find one that fits this computer. I previously did this kind of work in Cambodia with my wife's computer. I'd rather find the SSD and then reinstall Windows my self using a Windows restore USB (many shops here don't know how to do this and just install crack Windows, which is a bad solution as in my experience the crack Windows eventually stops working).

But since there are many here with far more tech knowledge, I wonder whether anyone has advice on whether this is the best option? Does it make sense to replace the SSD or is really better just to get a new laptop? How can I be sure it is only a lack of SSD memory and not a RAM issue? Thanks for your input.
I would update both the SSD and RAM

SSD's are all the same physical dimensions so non issue there

Mind you I haven't used windows for 16 years so can't comment on that, but will run Ubuntu like it's a brand new machine afterwards and unlike ten years ago there's no longer compatibility issues with Libreoffice and windows stuff

I'm using a eight year old laptop that should have been obsolete in 2018 in this manner with no issues
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:54 pm The last time I had to buy a new laptop was because the operating platform stopped issuing updates which pretty much rendered my old laptop useless for many applications. Yours is seven years old and you might also find yourself with the same problem soon.
Hi, thanks, I originally had Windows 8 on it, but got a free upgrade to Windows 10 after that. AFAIK Windows 10 probably still has a few years left to use it.

But yes, recently a family member had a computer with Windows 7 on it and it had become hardly functional for some reason.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:06 pm

Before going that way check your hardware. If the memory is soldered on the board the odds you can add memory are very low. If there's a free slot to place extra memory in make sure you use the same amount and the same kind of memory in the second slot. If there's just one slot (filled with your current memory) you can consider replacing the memory with a larger one but check which memory is supported by the hardware. You haven't mentioned the brand and type of the laptop so giving specific guidelines is a bit difficult.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:02 pm 7 years is a lot. Finding the same sized SSD won't be too difficult but finding one with the correct bus (connector) might be a challenge. Als check the max. size supported by your hardware or it might not work.
Before you start your search check which disk controller the laptop uses.
Hi Kammekor, thank you for that. Is the disk controller something that I can find on the internet or somewhere on the computer, or in the BIOS, etc.?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

7 years old, My $.05 worth
Buy a new laptop, things have changed so much ( most new laptops dont even come with cd/dvd drives and at least 2 usb and a type c usb port and at least an hdmi port as well)
Dont know about PP but here you can get a decent 14" screen Asus ( what i use) acer or hp with 500 gig ssd and core i5 windows 10 or 11 for between $500-700
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:06 pm

Mind you I haven't used windows for 16 years so can't comment on that, but will run Ubuntu like it's a brand new machine afterwards and unlike ten years ago there's no longer compatibility issues with Libreoffice and windows stuff

I'm using a eight year old laptop that should have been obsolete in 2018 in this manner with no issues
Hi Jerry Atrick, a slight diversion from the original topic but I have Ubuntu installed on some other, older computers from Cambodia that had fake Windows on them.

It's all fine and good for basic functions, but I haven't really been able to figure out how to add new software that's not in the Ubuntu app store. Even recently I wanted to see if the CD/DVD drive was working and apparently you have to install some software to run the CD/DVD drive. Is there some simple way to install software? It seems like I end up searching on the internet for how to do things like install software- and sometimes it doesn't work.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Most current SSDs should be compatible with a 7-year-old laptop, but it is best to check the specifications of your laptop to ensure compatibility. Consider the following compatibility factors:

1: SATA vs NVMe: Make sure your laptop supports the type of SSD you are purchasing. SATA SSDs are more common and compatible with most laptops, while NVMe SSDs offer faster speeds but may not be compatible with older laptops.
2: Physical size: Make sure the SSD you purchase fits properly into the laptop's drive bay. The most common sizes are 2.5-inch and M.2.
3: Power requirements: Some laptop models may not provide enough power to run an SSD, so check the power requirements of the SSD and the specifications of your laptop's power supply.

It is also a good idea to consult your laptop's manufacturer for specific recommendations or to check for any firmware updates that may be needed for compatibility.

and PR posted as I was typing this out so I would like to add that his suggestion of buying a new laptop is valid for the reasons he has stated above.
But, if you are happy with your laptop and maybe don't want to stretch it to $500-$700 then my suggestion would be to take it to a computer shop and have them check it out and install the necessary kit.

I have purchased a laptop from Gold One, 405Eo, Kampuchea Krom Blvd. and also had them do some work on my old laptop and put extra RAM in my new one. They should come up on a forum search as I'm sure I have mentioned them before.
https://www.goldonecomputer.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic