Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Old laptop SSD replacement - or new laptop

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:24 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:15 am wow cool info:
i just checked and have 256 process running ( most i have no idea what they do but am worried about deleting ) tons of processes called service host:....... like 80 or so
BUT utilization is running between 2-6%
while urs in screen shot is at 12%

So to me this means although am running more processes they are not running so whats the harm>

Is that true?

I'm running windows 11, Intel core i5, 500 ssd drive, 8 ram, base speed 1.7 cpu 2-6

I have my movies-tv shows, massive amount of photos and old doc's on external drives
I am pretty sure when @IraHayes took that screenshot his machine wasn't in idle mode, it was doing some work. The processor speed in the picture also tells you, it's in fast mode well over the base speed.

If you want to compare apples with apples you have to let two machines do the same task, for instance boot up and start a single program and then compare the values.
Reducing the number of running processes will still have an effect as it will be a relative speed increase for the machine in question.
Simply reducing my processes by 90 (or so) improved the amount of RAM available, and thus increased speed. As more RAM is used the machine will switch to Virtual memory which means accessing the HD which slows down system performance, Now, admittedly, having a super fast SSD as your HD this is not as big a factor as with the older HD drives but any relative performance increase for the system could be useful for the user.

I have an MSI laptop and it comes with a Utility for setting the CPU and GPU clock speeds. Both these settings are untouched and set to "0". The only thing I have changed are the fan control settings to keep the machine cooler when running games.

EDIT TO ADD:
After hitting Submit I checked the Dragon Utility and I noticed I had set the system performance to "Turbo" lol.... my bad. And this explains why I am running my fans faster. Oh and I also use the utility to set the battery charge mode so that it maintains 70-80% charge.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

UPDATE:

all is good
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Win11 you can access the task manager by right clicking the task bar. Did you select the default options for laptop/desktop.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:26 am Win11 you can access the task manager by right clicking the task bar. Did you select the default options for laptop/desktop.
all is good now :-)
laptop
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:30 am
IraHayes wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:26 am Win11 you can access the task manager by right clicking the task bar. Did you select the default options for laptop/desktop.
laptop
What was your RAM use and processes before and after running the utility?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:37 am
laptop
256 process running before
now 210
ram use??
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:45 am
IraHayes wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:37 am
laptop
256 process running before
now 210
ram use??
You will have more RAM available after the 50 processes were stopped.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:34 am Reducing the number of running processes will still have an effect as it will be a relative speed increase for the machine in question.
Simply reducing my processes by 90 (or so) improved the amount of RAM available, and thus increased speed. As more RAM is used the machine will switch to Virtual memory which means accessing the HD which slows down system performance, Now, admittedly, having a super fast SSD as your HD this is not as big a factor as with the older HD drives but any relative performance increase for the system could be useful for the user.

I have an MSI laptop and it comes with a Utility for setting the CPU and GPU clock speeds. Both these settings are untouched and set to "0". The only thing I have changed are the fan control settings to keep the machine cooler when running games.
Yes, of course the number of processes will have an effect on memory use and processor load. But I was referring to the processor load PR was talking about. I you want to compare that you have to do more than just count your processes being active.

Killing processes will provice you with more speed and memory, but sometimes it can pay off to provide processes with extra processor time and memory, for instance the Windows search function. By default it's set to be a very low priority service running in the background only when processor loads are under a certain threshold, making the indexing process very slow, sometimes too slow to keep up with your work. I have given it more priority, solving search problems.

Genrally killing 'useless' processes pays off, sometims it;s the other way around and you want to add processes or give them more processor time.

I had an MSI machine too, bought it back in 2020, a Prestige 15. Lovely machine, bright high res. screen, CPU using relatively little power while still offering enough juice, fast SSD, and loads of settings to be set in their software, for instance the 'battery saver' not fully charging the battery but just partly to extend battery life (I've had so many batteries flawed after just two years, not this this one). Maybe the nicest machine I ever had. I hoped we would get old together, but unfortunately something broke down, I think some memory, resulting in about 30 flickering lines in the bottom part of the screen, exactly where the task bar is. I lifted the taskbar, but looking at the screen with the flickering part in the bottom for longer times left me with a bad headache, so we parted ways. I looked for its' successor, it was competitively priced at Chantra, but the screen brightness was nowhere near the older version, maybe only 350 nits. When used to 450+ nits, 350 is no longer good enough when working in an open air space with a lot of light around you. It's sad, it was a really nice machine consuming only 80 Watts even at full power.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"........for instance the 'battery saver' not fully charging the battery but just partly to extend battery life"
my new asus offers this:
60% charge if use on plug in
80% if ur both
100% if only use on battery.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:45 am "........for instance the 'battery saver' not fully charging the battery but just partly to extend battery life"
my new asus offers this:
60% charge if use on plug in
80% if ur both
100% if only use on battery.
Maybe more brands have become conscious about this recently? I don't know. let's be honest, even laptops are used plugged in most of the times, so always having a full battery isn't necessary. But it wears off faster when always full.

My new (Dell) laptop doesn't have the option in their setup software, I had to set it manually.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic