2 Cambodians Arrested in India for Smuggling Medicine

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

2 Cambodians Arrested in India for Smuggling Medicine

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

2 Held at IGI Airport With Medicines Valued at Rs 86.40 Lakhs
Last Updated: February 03, 2023, 11:23 IST

Two Cambodian nationals were held by the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel from the Indira Gandhi International Airport here for allegedly smuggling medicines valued at Rs 86.40 lakh, an official said on Thursday.

A senior CISF official said that on February 1, at around 10 p.m., on the basis of behaviour detection, the CISF’s surveillance and intelligence staff noticed suspicious activities of two passengers at a check-in area of IGI airport’s Terminal-3.

“On suspicion, both the passengers identified as — Song Menghour and Doeur Savuth (Cambodian nationals) bound for Phnom Penh via Bangkok by Thai Airlines were diverted to the random checking point for thorough checking of baggage. On screening of their four registered baggage and one hand baggage through X-BIS machine, the CISF personnel noticed suspicious images," the official said.

“On physical checking, a huge quantity of different types of medicines valued at Rs 86.40 lakh were detected. On enquiry, the passengers could not produce supporting documents for carrying such a huge quantity of medicines," the official added.

The matter was informed to the senior officials of the CISF and the Customs.

Later, the two passengers along with detected medicines were handed over to the Customs officials for further action.
https://www.news18.com/news/india/2-hel ... 84013.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 2 Cambodians Arrested in India for Smuggling Medicine

Post by John Bingham »

I wish India would try to modernize and stop using ridiculous obscure measurements like Lahk. I don't really like spending 5 minutes trying to figure out that 86.4 Lahk means about US$105,000.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:19 pm I wish India would try to modernize and stop using ridiculous obscure measurements like Lahk. I don't really like spending 5 minutes trying to figure out that 86.4 Lahk means about US$105,000.
Holy shit.. I'm not even going to bother how 86 somehow equals 100k+ that is confusing just thinking about it
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:19 pm I wish India would try to modernize and stop using ridiculous obscure measurements like Lahk. I don't really like spending 5 minutes trying to figure out that 86.4 Lahk means about US$105,000.
Thanks for that. Couldn't be bothered. :thumb:

But in that case, US$105,000 in India or Cambodia can buy a shitload of medicine. This is not just some nephews buying vitamins fto take home for the aunties and their friends.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:39 pm
Thanks for that. Couldn't be bothered. :thumb:

But in that case, US$105,000 in India or Cambodia can buy a shitload of medicine. This is not just some nephews buying vitamins fto take home for the aunties and their friends.
I'm not sure about now but two pharmaceuticals that used to be sourced in India a couple of decades back were Ketamine and Methaqualone. Ketamine as most of you should know is an anesthetic used in hospitals all over the world but is usually restricted due to the capacity for abuse. In small doses it acts as a stimulant and hallucinogen so became popular in parties in the early 90s. Cambodia was also a source at that time. The Ketamine on sale in the pharmacies in Cambodia when I was here first was made by Bayer in Dun Laoghaire, near where I went to school. I didn't want any anyway, the place seemed crazy enough already. 8-)

Methaqualone pills were called Quaaludes, Mandrax etc. These were available in India long after they was banned during Reagan's time. They were popular in South Africa in the early 90s. The pills from India had a curved swastika logo. They were mixed up with Dagga (weed) and smoked from a sort of chillum made from the neck of a wine bottle. :?

Anyway, could be anything, we'll see.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Darkcel wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:29 pm
Holy shit.. I'm not even going to bother how 86 somehow equals 100k+ that is confusing just thinking about it
The audacity of a sovereign country, nay, an entire region having its own terminology for 100,000 .... it took less time to google it than it did to read these 2 whining posts ..... Hopefully India does the right thing and drops their method of numerology that has been around eons, and perhaps the International Precious Metals Market will also stop using Lahk as a measurement for 100,000 Troy ounces .... you know, to make life easier for the chosen few. :facepalm:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The same might be said of Cambodia, though.
10,000 is not ten thousand, but muoy muen 1,0000.

The west has mostly a powers of 3 system, metric, but many older counting systems are in line or have some relation to the Indian system. The US hangs on to elements of Imperial for some things.

I used to go nuts trying to keep track using an inconsistent system. (Somewhat glad never to have grown up with pocket money in pounds shillings and pence)

100, 1000, 10000, 100000

It’s not really obscure, though, given that their contribution to the world population is pretty sizeable, and that sizeable population use that system.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic