Cambodia ranks #5 with worst dish in the world :-)

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia ranks #5 with worst dish in the world :-)

Post by Doc67 »

Sheepdog wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:45 am
Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:27 pm 8. UK. Vegetable Roll.

What is it? I've never heard of it.

Cheese roll, ham roll, ham and cheese roll, all in a bread roll. But they are snacks, not dishes.

Maybe they are talking about fried ones called spring rolls which are Asian.
I imagine they are talking about this, although I have always found it to be delectable

https://homebutchers.com/products/tradi ... table-roll
I'd have a go at one of them. The vegetarians of the world better watch out for product descriptions like this though.

Vegetable Roll

Vegetable Roll is a uniquely Northern Irish delicacy, made up of cuts of lean beef and seasoned with fresh herbs and vegetables such as leeks and onions.This pack of traditional Vegetable roll arrives sliced, an ideal time saving short cut, so all you need to do is cook and enjoy! Suitable for freezing.

That sounds and looks an awful lot like a meaty version of a black pudding!

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bangkok post weighs in

#BangkokPost: Thai netizens were left baffled when one of their favourite dishes, Kaeng Som, was ranked 12th in the "100 Worst Rated Dishes in the World" list. #Thailand
Thai netizens were left baffled when one of their favourite dishes, Kaeng Som, was ranked 12th in the “100 Worst Rated Dishes in the World” list for February 2023 by online food guide TasteAtlas.

The dish, described by TasteAtlas as a “sour, water-based Thai curry that is typically prepared with fish or shrimps and a thick paste that usually incorporates shallots, chillies, and shrimps” received a score of 2.3 on a scale of 1–5.

They questioned how TasteAtlas rated the food which, according to them, looks and tastes really good. Some said Kaeng Som was a household dish and even better than the highly popular Tom Yum Kung and Pad Thai.

Some foreigners who tasted Kaeng Som joined in the criticism and described the ranking as an insult. Netizens from other countries were also confused by the list.

Some remarked the food should not be judged by its look. Many rejected the ranking outright as nonsense. One user said the list must have been AI-generated.
Previously, TasteAtlas was criticised by Thai and foreign foodies alike when it released the TasteAtlas Awards 2022 list of “Best Cuisines in the World” in which the United States was placed ahead of Thailand.

In the list, the US was placed 8th on the list with a score of 4.51 while Thailand came 30th on the list with a score of 4.16.

The UK was placed 29th with a score of 4.18, viewed as ridiculous.

“Wait! UK food was better than Thai? Better than Lebanese food?” one social media user remarked.

One user said: “The UK shouldn’t have made it to the list, let alone be ranked as better than Thai food.” Thai food came after Japanese (4th), Indian (5th), Chinese (11th), Korean (19th), Vietnamese (20), Filipino (23) and Iranian (24).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2499064
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:54 pm Image :hattip:
An image and a hat tip are the sole contribution on the subject by Richard, until page 4. I do feel that this was posted with the intent to not have amusing humour out discussion, but to generate a negative response. Especially given that the same source website recently listed Thailand as pretty low ranking in another assessment.

It’s a trash website, that clearly has no worthwhile critical input to anybody at or through puberty. The loose link to Wiki and a suggestion that some have lost their sense of humour really does do much to set the tone that might be inferred by that post.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:54 pm Image :hattip:
I am pretty sure research is done by some yanks, they are so nown for goof food, no ??
And strangely the swedish "surstromming" is not in the list (look for it at youtube).
I hope they do better research on weather-balloons !!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:11 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:07 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:35 pm you all take things WAY TO SERIOUS
has everyone here lost their sense of humor? :facepalm:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TasteAtlas
No we don't take things too seriously. Sense of humor? You seem to think posting any article about Cambodia that shows it in a bad light is funny, even if they are garbage. This is a Cambodia forum. It's not really that amusing when you rag on Cambodia and constantly try to make it look bad. I know it gives you a great sense of superiority because you had the genius idea of moving to a more developed country.
Another personal attack on a CEO member . About time you also checked yourself JB
Damn... what happened to an edit button for when you accidentally like a moronic post,,, (like I did on this one) oops my bad...
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Any list not including 'virgin boy eggs' can't be taken seriously. There's a lot of nasty food out there but eggs cooked in human piss should be near the top of every list IMO.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPIvDJG1etI
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:35 pm you all take things WAY TO SERIOUS
has everyone here lost their sense of humor? :facepalm:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TasteAtlas
You seem to be a Protected Species on here "Mr Phuket Richard" I can only put it down to your prolific amount of posts 15000+ and counting.

The Mods seem to let you spew out your anti Cambodian sentiment in so many posts yet rarely if ever edit or ban you? Its quite bizarre tbh...

Even more bizarre is why you choose to remain on a Cambodian Forum when You clearly denigrate KOW in many of your posts, constantly comparing it to Thailand

which is just so predictable and boring now. Do you stay because you feel like a big fish in a small pond here? or do yo have nothing better to do with your life

besides telling us your great world traveller stories with a mix of your smuggling stories thrown in for a extra dose of BS.

There is plenty of room for you on here, don't get me wrong. But you personally have driven many posters to leave this forum and 1 in particular who was an

excellent cambodian content poster to exit from this forum after many years to due posters like you.

Tell me to "Fuck Off" again if you like Richard, you & I both know you will get away with verbally abusing members scott free yet again...... :hattip:
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

violet wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:51 am
IraHayes wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:19 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:48 am I've always wondered why some people here seem to take joy in fucking with other members?
do u all feel good about urself?
are you a better person for it?

I go by on forums , "yea its cool to go at a post but not the poster", 'guess others dont live by that rule

WHY can a post ONLY be reported ONCE?

I'd like to tell JB to put me on ignore, but he never would cause than he couldn't show everyone how smart he is and how much a better person he is than me :beer3:

namaste'
Oh please, for someone who proclaims to be so worldly and been-there-done-that type of person you do sure have a thin skin.
We all get called out for the occasional post that, in hindsight was probably not our best work. Hell, I did one only yesterday so either learn from your mistakes and change your posting habits or take it on the chin and move on.
While I agree with your last paragraph, it’s a little different when you find yourself the repeated target of a person painting you with a broad brush because they have taken a dislike to you on a personal basis.

Richard probably agrees with your last paragraph too - when it is the occasional post that is targeted - and that also ends up targeting the poster. Some repeatedly go at him - because of his repeated style/preference for Thailand, and background
I don't think it's because of Richard's "preference for Thailand", as you put it. In fairness, he often goes beyond merely expressing a preference; it would be quite possible to do so without bashing Cambodia.

We all know that each country has its positive and its negative sides. Sometimes it makes sense to compare, but as someone who lives in Thailand like Richard and just happens to visit Cambodia frequently, I'm mindful of the fact that this is a forum primarily for expats living in Cambodia.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:19 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:48 am I've always wondered why some people here seem to take joy in fucking with other members?
do u all feel good about urself?
are you a better person for it?

I go by on forums , "yea its cool to go at a post but not the poster", 'guess others dont live by that rule

WHY can a post ONLY be reported ONCE?

I'd like to tell JB to put me on ignore, but he never would cause than he couldn't show everyone how smart he is and how much a better person he is than me :beer3:

namaste'
Oh please, for someone who proclaims to be so worldly and been-there-done-that type of person you do sure have a thin skin.
We all get called out for the occasional post that, in hindsight was probably not our best work. Hell, I did one only yesterday so either learn from your mistakes and change your posting habits or take it on the chin and move on.
Hahaha .... And here you are again today doing exactly what you got called out for yesterday ... Pontificating to a member about how they should act and behave .... Your lack of self awareness is astounding .... But I applaud your consistency.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

This is obviously serious stuff, and we need solutions fast.

I've made a few totally unrelated phone calls.

Personally, I'll be sticking to the tried-and-tested, comfort food; cherry tobacco burger and dusty ants' feet salad, chocolate llama tongue, wildebeast smoothie, and a cuppa Kopi coffee. None of which are listed.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic