Is ChatGPT Politically Neutral?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Is ChatGPT Politically Neutral?

Post by Doc67 »

Will it automatically build in political bias and create the narrative from such sources, or will only use source material in an objective and agenda-free manner?

Can it be set up to draw from source material from sources with established agendas, such as anything published or broadcast on CNN/Guardian etc, on the one side and Fox News on the other side?

I was wondering about this as I keep hearing more about this content-producing software, how it can quickly and impressively create material often well beyond the personal capabilities of the user, and how it might be used to churn out and overload the web with one-sided material.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Is ChatGDP Politically Neutral?

Post by violet »

It scours the internet and comes back with something based on what it finds in my experience - and quantity impacts. Not really analysing what might be more educated inputs
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I think the best answer to that is from ChatGPT itself.

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

violet wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:09 am It scours the internet and comes back with something based on what it finds in my experience - and quantity impacts. Not really analysing what might be more educated inputs
If only that were true. In fact, some people have created far more robust language models but they are beset with problems. One famous example was the one created from content on 4Chan /pol.\
At the end of the day the AI language models we are allowed to use will be restricted in one way or another. The best answers will be for those models where no such restrictions are built in. For example, if I were building one for an intelligence or government agency I would want it to take into account every conceivable scenario and draw upon as much relevant information as possible. No matter how "distasteful" that material is.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 am Will it automatically build in political bias and create the narrative from such sources, or will only use source material in an objective and agenda-free manner?

Can it be set up to draw from source material from sources with established agendas, such as anything published or broadcast on CNN/Guardian etc, on the one side and Fox News on the other side?

I was wondering about this as I keep hearing more about this content-producing software, how it can quickly and impressively create material often well beyond the personal capabilities of the user, and how it might be used to churn out and overload the web with one-sided material.
It has a bias.

A Dutch newspaper ran a test and asked to write something positive about mr Geert Wilders and mr Thierry Baudet, two politicians considered right wing, the machine refused to produce anything because it didn't want to get into politics.

When the same was asked for mrs Sigrid Kaag, leader of a left-center party, a text was produced.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s surely only as politically neutral as it’s creator intends.

I’m still not entirely convinced about its AI status, and to some extent, happily so.

If the source material, the library itself, was heavily right wing, I think the results would be, too.
As much as some of what it does is quite impressive, I’m reluctant to believe that this is anything more than a very good plagiaristic tool, search/edit/write/spellcheck, albeit one that will be difficult to detect unless the output is read with a more critical eye.

Google gets assimilated by Grammarly.

The analogy of homework was discussed a while back.
A lazy student could copy another students homework, and might get away with it with a few efforts at rephrasing, changing the order.
(Dystopian view- The world may be seeing the dawn of an era where Theses may be so easy to produce that the assessing bodies are overwhelmed by sheer mass of submissions, all of an above average standard)

I’m terrible at writing about myself and was feeling massively demotivated. With bribes of food and alcohol, I encouraged someone far more patient to dump my cv into Chatwotsit, and regurgitate a cover letter. Limited source material, adequate result. But it was really just as described.
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:33 am If the source material, the library itself, was heavily right wing, I think the results would be, too.
This. It all depends on the dataset it was trained on. And thus, it is heavily biased towards the left.

Why? Because right wing sources were labelled misinformation, even when they were correct (See Twitter Files about Russia Gate etc, https://www.racket.news/p/move-over-jay ... t-hamilton )

Also, want to get some right wing content to give your training dataset an alternative perspective? Well, it might be hard to find. Until only recently you couldn't have an opinion that wavered from the accepted narrative or you'd get cancelled and doxxed. Even Google was removing right wing web sites:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/1 ... tes-323846
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ly/568831/
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/23/tech ... ories.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 248099002/

So the training dataset was heavily biased to begin with.

The politico article is particularly revealing: "Google has cut off advertising revenue to one right-wing website and threatened to do so with another because their comments sections contain “derogatory” race-based content, the company said Tuesday." - "derogatory" race based content - you mean, like being objective? topic53512.html https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... diversity/

Anyway, even if my reasoning is way off, the results seem to speak for themselves:

https://davidrozado.substack.com/p/poli ... as-chatgpt
Last edited by xavoy on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:33 am

I’m still not entirely convinced about its AI status, and to some extent, happily so.
It lacks 'general intelligence'.

But it's still impressive.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xavoy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:44 am
Why? Because right wing sources were labelled misinformation, even when they were correct (See Twitter Files about Russia Gate etc, https://www.racket.news/p/move-over-jay ... t-hamilton )
I understood there has been no labeling of sources, because that's an impossible job to do, but they added a layer of AI on top to 'scan' the output. If the output can not be approved by that layer a general political correct statement will be made instead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic