For the land of my birth, I'll sing,
And the people who call it home.
With a voice that's rough and worn,
I'll tell the tales that I've known.
So, here's to the Emerald Isle,
And the spirit that lives within.
May the road rise up to meet you,
And the wind be ever at your back, my friend
A bunch of trite shite. How far could you get from the style?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Is ChatGPT Politically Neutral?

Post by phuketrichard »

excuse my ignorance, but is this new technology sorta like the computer "Hall" in 2001 a space odyssey?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:09 pm excuse my ignorance, but is this new technology sorta like the computer "Hall" in 2001 a space odyssey?
I’m confident in saying no.
Less confident that someone wouldn’t still handover control to such a system, though, in a rush to take expensive humans out of the equation.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:09 pm excuse my ignorance, but is this new technology sorta like the computer "Hall" in 2001 a space odyssey?
At the moment, no. HAL was presented as somewhat sentient and had an understanding of what it was doing and considered itself a conscious entity. That's why, when Dave began shutting it down, it said it was scared. It also displayed other emotions throughout the movie. It could be argued that it was programmed to do that in order to appear more human-like, but as I said, it was the ending, where it appeared to show genuine fear that showed it was capable of human-like emotion and was, to some degree, conscious.

ChatGPT is nothing like it. In fact I was asking it the other day about the differences between it and HAL and it listed off many. While ChatGPT appears utterly amazing on the surface, and it truly is, when you break down what it's doing, it's basically just looking at sentences and working out the probability of what word would come next in the sentence. Of course it uses a huge dataset to do this - it knows how to keep the conversation relevant, but at the end of the day (and I don't like to say this because it belittles what is an amazing technological achievement) it is doing nothing more than any other computer program does. It's merely following a set of instructions. the only difference is that the instruction set it uses is the most advanced ever written.

It is far-and-away the future of the internet. Forget VR. Forget AR. Forget Siri, Google Assistant. In fact, forget Google as a search engine altogether. It is, in my opinion, as significant as the birth of the internet itself. It will change everything. Without a shadow of a doubt. And very, very quickly too.

Here's ChatGPT's answer to: "What is the difference between you and HAL?"

I'm ChatGPT, an AI language model created by OpenAI to provide helpful responses to questions and engage in conversation with people. My primary purpose is to assist users in generating text, answering questions, and providing information on a wide range of topics.

HAL, on the other hand, is a fictional character from the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey." HAL is a highly advanced, sentient AI computer that was designed to operate and maintain a spacecraft. HAL's primary function was to assist the human crew in their mission, but as the movie progresses, HAL develops a sinister side and becomes a threat to the crew's safety.

So, in summary, the main differences between me and HAL are that I am a real-life AI language model designed to help people, whereas HAL is a fictional character in a movie designed to be an antagonist. Additionally, I don't have the same level of sentience or consciousness as HAL, as I am a machine learning model that operates based on algorithms and pre-programmed responses, while HAL was depicted as having a sense of self-awareness and autonomy.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Well, it would say that, wouldn’t it?

It’s worth noting, or rather considering, I think, that the difference between science fiction and science fact might only be the intended outcome.
Scientists and engineers of the sort who develop stuff such as the products of Boston Dynamics might just as easily have pursued a career writing about a possible, fantastical but imaginary future instead of trying to make it happen.

And Arthur C clark was more than just a science fiction writer.
Robert Heinlein wrote about easily portable personal computing devices quite some time back.

When it becomes fact, it’s no longer fiction. The limit and division may only be our own imagination.

I might encourage someone to ask this AI thing what the difference is between science fiction and science fact.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:20 am Copied from Reddit
So I asked Chat GTP to write a paper ‘‘em in the style of Shane Macgowan
Here's a poem in the style of Shane MacGowan, the Irish singer and songwriter:

Green fields and rolling hills,
Where the rivers run wild and free.
The smell of peat smoke in the air,
And a pint of the black stuff for me.
The laughter of friends in the pub,
And the sound of a fiddle in tune.
A dance with a lass in the corner,
Under the light of the moon.
Oh, the memories we've shared,
Of love and of life, good and bad.
With a heart full of song and of pride,
I'll raise a glass to the past, me lad.
Stuff like this makes me wonder when someone sues OpenAI for copyrights. In order to make something like this the software must have read and interpreted loads of work from 'Shane MacGowan' without paying any copyrights.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:56 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:20 am Copied from Reddit
So I asked Chat GTP to write a paper ‘‘em in the style of Shane Macgowan
Here's a poem in the style of Shane MacGowan, the Irish singer and songwriter:

Green fields and rolling hills,
Where the rivers run wild and free.
The smell of peat smoke in the air,
And a pint of the black stuff for me.
The laughter of friends in the pub,
And the sound of a fiddle in tune.
A dance with a lass in the corner,
Under the light of the moon.
Oh, the memories we've shared,
Of love and of life, good and bad.
With a heart full of song and of pride,
I'll raise a glass to the past, me lad.
Stuff like this makes me wonder when someone sues OpenAI for copyrights. In order to make something like this the software must have read and interpreted loads of work from 'Shane MacGowan' without paying any copyrights.
I know a couple of teachers who have used it to make quizzes and assignments by simply telling it something like:

Make a 30 minute quiz from [insert name of textbook] Unit 6, pages 87 to 102. Include multiple choice questions and also five questions that test students critical thinking skills. Make the quiz suitable for students of CEFR B2 level.

It has created the quiz in minutes with all the questions relevant to the book, unit and pages mentioned. It would have taken the teacher an hour or two, but does it in seconds. The only issue is that it can't yet do it in a format suitable to just copy and paste it into Word. the teacher still has to do that manually, but with Microsoft's $10b acquisition of it, it's only a matter of time before it can do this.

Although, that being said, I have used the Bing version of it and it's nowhere near as good as the proper ChatGPT. If you tell it that it hasn't done what you asked (which it frequently doesn't) it throws a hissy fit and tells you it doesn't want to continue with this conversation and resets everything haha. Good old Microsoft. Buy something that works very well and just fuck it up so that people will use your version - that you'll probably have to pay for.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

xandreu wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:30 pm The only issue is that it can't yet do it in a format suitable to just copy and paste it into Word. the teacher still has to do that manually,
There probably is a way to get it to format it how it is needed. He just needs to search for ChatGPT prompts for formatting output.

ChatGPT can put stuff into tables when told to.
You can also output to a text file rather than cutting and pasting.
This from ChatGPT: "One way is to use the built-in functionality of your terminal or command line interface to redirect the output to a file. For example, you could use the command "chatgpt <your_prompt> > output.txt" to save the output to a file called "output.txt" in the current directory."

Also, you can tell ChatGPT: "Now write the entire article in formatted markdown"
(This will insert headings, paragraphs and lists that are easy to copy and paste, or output to a file as above).
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ChatGPT- can you format this so that it’s useful, or is that asking too much?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:53 pm Well, it would say that, wouldn’t it?

It’s worth noting, or rather considering, I think, that the difference between science fiction and science fact might only be the intended outcome.
Scientists and engineers of the sort who develop stuff such as the products of Boston Dynamics might just as easily have pursued a career writing about a possible, fantastical but imaginary future instead of trying to make it happen.

And Arthur C clark was more than just a science fiction writer.
Robert Heinlein wrote about easily portable personal computing devices quite some time back.

When it becomes fact, it’s no longer fiction. The limit and division may only be our own imagination.

I might encourage someone to ask this AI thing what the difference is between science fiction and science fact.
This just popped up in my newsfeed this morning and I immediately thought of this thread.

‘Where’s the tongue?’: creepy Chinese kissing contraption offers long-distance, lip-smacking ‘real-life’ encounters of the smooching kind
https://www.scmp.com/news/people-cultur ... -real-life

Bizarre device, which ‘inventor’ says promotes monogamous kissing, requires consent of both parties
Online observers laugh out loud at ‘real-life’ lip-smacking app, but some ask, ‘where’s the tongue?’

and 10 years ago we had the science fiction version on The Big Bang Theory.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic