GARY GLITTER

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Re: GARY GLITTER

Post by Stravaiger »

xandreu wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:19 pm I don't believe in the death penalty for any reason, but I don't see how anyone can say that the world is just as safe a place with him outside of prison as it is with him inside.
If Glitter had been convicted of child rape in Vietnam he could have been have been executed by firing squad. However the victims' families appealed on his behalf, after he paid them. He was deported from Cambodia but never prosecuted for anything here.
Not entirely sure why we can't strike up a deal with other countries to take our nonces. Countries that are not legally bound to the same human rights laws as we are, whose prisoners are aware for every one of their waking minutes of just where they are and how cruel life can be when you're just as vulnerable as the victims they preyed upon.
The problem with countries like that is they tend to have more corrupt and flexible judicial systems. They are often no more respecters of the human rights of child victims than they are of convicted perps - possibly less.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Stravaiger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 am
xandreu wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:19 pm I don't believe in the death penalty for any reason, but I don't see how anyone can say that the world is just as safe a place with him outside of prison as it is with him inside.
If Glitter had been convicted of child rape in Vietnam he could have been have been executed by firing squad. However the victims' families appealed on his behalf, after he paid them. He was deported from Cambodia but never prosecuted for anything here.
This was quite some time ago and details are hazy. I was working in Vietnam at the time. Pictures of him sitting in a bar with a couple of kids emerged on Vietnamese (social?) media. At that time he was supposed to be in a jail in Vietnam. Turns out he paid handsomely to not only have a private cell, better food and booze, but he was also allowed to go out on the lash.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

hanno wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:07 am
Stravaiger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 am
This was quite some time ago and details are hazy. I was working in Vietnam at the time. Pictures of him sitting in a bar with a couple of kids emerged on Vietnamese (social?) media. At that time he was supposed to be in a jail in Vietnam. Turns out he paid handsomely to not only have a private cell, better food and booze, but he was also allowed to go out on the lash.
Yes, it was a long time ago. There was a story that when the Psychedelic Furs guy owned The Globe, Glitter jumped up on the parapet and started belting-out one of his old hits and no one knew who he was. Which you would think should have suited him. But for the most part I think he kept a low profile.

And I'm sure that he paid the right people handsomely here too.

This Guardian piece from July 2000 is arguably prophetic
There are many exotic spots in the world where old pop stars come, musically, to die. However, Phnom Penh, the filthy, crazy, frightening, beautiful capital of Cambodia, is not usually one of them.

And yet it is here, overlooking the mighty Mekong River in a bar with ceiling fans shifting the sticky night air that we find... well, who exactly? His name is Duncan Kilburn and he owns the bar. Cambodian women in long silk dresses are serving beer to sweaty expats and the odd backpacker who's swerved off the trail between Thailand and Vietnam. Most people between 25 and 50 will have heard of his band, the Psychedelic Furs. Ah yes. Part of the quintessential, new wave British sound of the early Eighties.

Kilburn played saxophone. Twenty years on, the balding, frayed 44-year-old has washed up in Phnom Penh of all places. He admits who he is and agrees to tell his story - and talk about Cambodia.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2000 ... pesection9

Yes there's the inevitable exaggeration but wow things have changed.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Gary Glitter will 'likely spend the rest of his life in prison'

Gary Glitter will likely spend the rest of his life in prison after being recalled to jail for breaching his license conditions, the former head of Scotland Yard's Paedophile Unit said.
Mike Hames said disgraced 1970s pop star Glitter, 78, whose real name is Paul Gadd, would always represent a danger to children and a return to custody was appropriate.
The Probation Service confirmed on Monday that Glitter was being recalled to prison following a breach of his licence conditions.
Details of the breach were not given, but it was reported that Glitter was caught trying to access the dark web.
Speaking on Times Radio, Mr Hames said Glitter was 'not allowed to conduct certain things on his phone'.

If being six feet under isn't possible, I guess this is the next best option.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... mailonline
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Stravaiger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:48 pm

And yet it is here, overlooking the mighty Mekong River in a bar with ceiling fans shifting the sticky night air that we find... well, who exactly? His name is Duncan Kilburn and he owns the bar. Cambodian women in long silk dresses are serving beer to sweaty expats and the odd backpacker who's swerved off the trail between Thailand and Vietnam. Most people between 25 and 50 will have heard of his band, the Psychedelic Furs. Ah yes. Part of the quintessential, new wave British sound of the early Eighties.

Kilburn played saxophone. Twenty years on, the balding, frayed 44-year-old has washed up in Phnom Penh of all places. He admits who he is and agrees to tell his story - and talk about Cambodia.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2000 ... pesection9

Yes there's the inevitable exaggeration but wow things have changed.
[/quote]

I didn't know Duncan Kilburn had a bar in PP once until now!

Also why is that The Observer report published in The Grauniad?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Observer is the Sunday paper for Grauniad.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Random Dude wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:02 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:42 pm Was hoping the thread might have contained his obituary notice. :(
He must be in some sort of protective custody because I'm sure the other crims would jump at the chance to kill him.
That is an old cliche, pedophiles are ok in jail, occasionally there is some violence against these villains.
Boredom is like a shroud
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:37 am The worst Cambodia expat ever as far as giving this place a shitty reputation goes.
Vung Tau (Vietnam) is where he did some nasty shit too iirc. Was there at around the same time, never met him, would not have recognized him.

Possibly he'd have blurted at some time in the night: Do you know who i am? I'm fucking Gary Glitter.

But i never visited places that are of interest to pedos, so nil chance to get an autograph
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

cabron wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:14 pm
Random Dude wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:02 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:42 pm Was hoping the thread might have contained his obituary notice. :(
He must be in some sort of protective custody because I'm sure the other crims would jump at the chance to kill him.
That is an old cliche, pedophiles are ok in jail, occasionally there is some violence against these villains.
Well, I suppose that's good news for dirty old Gary.
sketchyxxx
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by sketchyxxx »

Netflix will apparently make a series about him: https://deadline.com/2023/03/gary-glitt ... 235280243/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic