Passing for Protection: Phnom Penh exhibition captures the Kingdom’s natural beauty

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Passing for Protection: Phnom Penh exhibition captures the Kingdom’s natural beauty

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

JANUARY 30, 2023

Passing for Protection is a photojournalism exhibit that showcases moments from Cambodia’s most remote forests and the lives of those who live in some of the most controversial protected areas in the Kingdom

We will take you to see these unique landscapes and rare wildlife at Passing for Protection, a photojournalism exhibition that gives a glimpse of the natural beauty that has helped Cambodia earn its title as the Kingdom of Wonder. The culmination of more than a year of on-the-ground reporting and expeditions into Cambodia’s far-flung provinces, Passing for Protection will transport viewers to distinctive communities across the kingdom. The exhibit creates a safe spaces for conversations about the environment in Cambodia. Such dialogues will only become more vital in the future as new policies taking effect this year will potentially threaten these same landscapes and the wildlife within them.

Hosted at Phnom Penh’s Hops Beer Garden and Restaurant on St. 228 from 10-19 February, this photojournalism exhibition is open to the public and free of charge.

On Friday, 10 February, doors will be open from 5-10 p.m. to bring together loyal readers, conservationists, newsrooms, civil society organisations and government groups to see more than 20 images included in the exhibit. A special Opening Night programme, starting at 6:30 p.m., will include complimentary refreshments, discounted food and feature insights from Southeast Asia Globe’s new editor-in-chief and personal tours of the exhibits. On 12 February, the Globe will host a student event from 3-6 p.m., providing the next generation of journalists a chance to meet with media professionals and learn about environmental reporting in Cambodia.

The images in Passing for Protection represent Globe’s commitment to covering the environment, which is supported by The Pulitzer Center’s Rainforest Investigations Network and Rainforest Journalism Fund. Anton L. Delgado, a multimedia journalist for Globe, spoke about the exhibit:

What should visitors expect to see at the exhibit?
Landscapes they can’t even imagine. Over the last year, I have been able to report on wildlife and forest crimes in Cambodia’s national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, which have left me in absolute awe. Putting myself in the position to take these images often took weeks of planning, days of travel and hours of hiking. By sifting through thousands of the photos I have taken, I decided to thematically layout the Passing for Protection exhibit into the categories of Landscapes, Threats, Protectors, Protected and On the Horizon. I hope the images provide a snippet from these protected areas and inspire viewers to consider viewing these places themselves.

How did this all come together?
The Globe proudly joined The Pulitzer Center’s Rainforest Investigations Network in 2022. As part of this international network of reporters and editors, we were able to further invest in our environmental coverage of Cambodia’s diminishing natural resources by sending reporters, like me, to cover the most pressing issues in protected areas throughout the Kingdom.

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/passing- ... s-release/