Chiang Mai ranked safest city in Southeast Asia

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
DavidK99
Expatriate
Nepal

Chiang Mai ranked safest city in Southeast Asia

Post by DavidK99 »

I don't know how thoroughly this was researched or how official the rating is, but as a resident of Chiang Mai this was nice to see.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/2493 ... in-se-asia
Roysmit
BANNED
Austria

Re: Chiang Mai ranked safest city in Southeast Asia

Post by Roysmit »

DavidK99 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:01 am I don't know how thoroughly this was researched or how official the rating is, but as a resident of Chiang Mai this was nice to see.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/2493 ... in-se-asia
I’m definitely no expert on Thailand but I thought Chiang Mai was a total tourist trap?
Was I wrong :unknown: :unknown: :unknown:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

No, Chiang Mai is the largest city in the north and its economy relies more on agriculture and industry.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm not sure if I would rank Chiang Mai as a "city" at all, but if yes, it would be high on my list of the most boring cities in Southeast Asia.

I'd also question the safety aspect. The air is outright poisoning during burning season, typically for several months every year. A severe health hazard if you stick around.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Chiang Mai is on my list for the next time I go to Thailand. Hoping it is better than some here describe. (Thanks for the info, though!)
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Yeah, I found it to be quite boring as well. Definitely wouldn’t recommend unless you like the slower paced. Suited a friend of mine and his wife well, they loved it and lived there for 5 years.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

CM is my favorite city in the SE Asia. Small, but big enough, good food, great music scene, vicinity to the nature, cheap rentals, Lanna people, good flight connections to the world. Can be smokey Feb-Apr, but living in PP you"ll get more heavy toxins trough the year than in CM.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chuck Borris wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:14 am CM is my favorite city in the SE Asia. Small, but big enough, good food, great music scene, vicinity to the nature, cheap rentals, Lanna people, good flight connections to the world. Can be smokey Feb-Apr, but living in PP you"ll get more heavy toxins trough the year than in CM.
It's beginning to sound like PP. Add in some nature and cheap rentals and it sounds like it's worth a visit.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:23 am
Chuck Borris wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:14 am CM is my favorite city in the SE Asia. Small, but big enough, good food, great music scene, vicinity to the nature, cheap rentals, Lanna people, good flight connections to the world. Can be smokey Feb-Apr, but living in PP you"ll get more heavy toxins trough the year than in CM.
It's beginning to sound like PP. Add in some nature and cheap rentals and it sounds like it's worth a visit.
Whats best about CM ( city is nothing special and for me, not even in the top 5 cities in SE Asia) is renting a motorcycle or car and heading out to the countryside> So many great places to visit nearby and using CM as a base
I love the north, but love the sea more
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I had it in mind to move to Chiang Mai years ago for the slightly cooler weather and it was not Bangkok. Then I saw the regular daily reports of the heavy air pollution, largely due to crop burning that lasts for months. There were times in the recent past -- pre-pandemic -- that CM had the world's worst air pollution. I believe the worst of the pollution is coming up soon.

Below is the latest AQI:

https://www.iqair.com/th-en/thailand/chiang-mai
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic