Masks still mandated while flying?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Masks still mandated while flying?

Post by Doc67 »

Joakim wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:21 pm When I was flying IST-TPE-PNH with Turkish/EVA in January it was mandatory with mask on both flights.
As the staff told me all flights in/out of Taiwan need mask.

Going back PNH-TPE-IST EVA/Turkish 6/3 we needed mask on EVA flight but last leg to IST not even the crew had mask.
I was thinking of booking EVA back to London. If they still have masks-on rules I won't bother. I notice the rules are in/out of TPE. My flight would be BKK-LHR, so I wonder if they would try to enforce the rule on that leg?

I don't think anyone cares about night flights, the crew just wants to feed you and watch you all sleep. I doubt very much if anyone would wake up a passenger to tell them to put their mask on. But the day flights might be another matter.

Does anyone know about Thai Airways? Do they still have masks-on rules?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:23 pm
Joakim wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:21 pm When I was flying IST-TPE-PNH with Turkish/EVA in January it was mandatory with mask on both flights.

Going back PNH-TPE-IST EVA/Turkish 6/3 we needed mask on EVA flight but last leg to IST not even the crew had mask.
I was thinking of booking EVA back to London. If they still have masks-on rules I won't bother. I notice the rules are in/out of TPE. My flight would be BKK-LHR, so I wonder if they would try to enforce the rule on that leg?

I don't think anyone cares about night flights, the crew just wants to feed you and watch you all sleep. I doubt very much if anyone would wake up a passenger to tell them to put their mask on. But the day flights might be another matter.

I flew Eva BKK-AMS last December and they didn't bother about masks
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:31 pm

I flew Eva BKK-AMS last December and they didn't bother about masks
Ok, good to know. It sounds like it's a TPE mandate.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I think it is. I flew China Airlines recently from Vancouver to PNH via TPE. Mask repeatedly asked to wear over PA but many, including non-whiteys ignored so I did as well. As far as I know they never asked anyone personally to mask up but it was heard over the PA at least 5 times. TPE to PNH 4 foreigners including me. 3 boarded ahead of me without one and I said fuck it and did they same. No questions asked, no mask up demands even though almost all others kept theirs on for the flight. Seems like they are beating a dead horse for reasons I cannot fathom, but perhaps have been told by upper management not to engage and just ignore it.

Can't last forever, can it?
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I flew EVA Jan-Feb VIE-BKK and back. They said at the boarding that we have to wear masks, but once we were sitting on the plane they didn't bother you (and half of the passenger didn't wear any masks).
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

johnny lightning wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:53 pm I think it is. I flew China Airlines recently from Vancouver to PNH via TPE. Mask repeatedly asked to wear over PA but many, including non-whiteys ignored so I did as well. As far as I know they never asked anyone personally to mask up but it was heard over the PA at least 5 times. TPE to PNH 4 foreigners including me. 3 boarded ahead of me without one and I said fuck it and did they same. No questions asked, no mask up demands even though almost all others kept theirs on for the flight. Seems like they are beating a dead horse for reasons I cannot fathom, but perhaps have been told by upper management not to engage and just ignore it.

Can't last forever, can it?
Hey!

I just sent you a PM but wanted to know your experience w/ China Airlines. It seems thats the most cost effective option-- by over 700 bucks!!
I always used Eva or SIngapore Airlines... but the price for both Eva and SIngapore is over 2k!! wtf

departure end of June
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic