Masks still mandated while flying?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Masks still mandated while flying?

Post by Kammekor »

Equinix wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:57 am
Kenr wrote:
Yes, because you are a hypocrite. You didn’t like the government telling you what you had to do, but you feel it’s ok for you to tell people what they should do and how they should live their lives. Just because you believe something to be true doesn’t mean it is.
I'm not telling anyone with a mask what they should do. In short, when I'm in sitting at a bar or drinking with a group and someone is still wearing a mask, I inform them that the mask mandate ended almost a year ago and that they don't work as protection against covid. And if they wear it for that reason it's idiotic. If they still wear it after, that's obviously up to them. Not at all similar to what most governments put their populous through.
Kammekor wrote:[We are back there already. Aren't you living in the past, still frustrated with what happened? You're intervening in the life of strangers while claiming your personal freedom. I am amazed you can not see the irony of your behavior.

Where I live over 90% of everyone I see quit wearing masks for an extensive period of time already. Each and everyone for their own reasons. But the rest still wearing it will have their reasons to do so too. Who am I to tell them / advise them not to? Who are you to tell them not to? Because it bothers you? Because you want to see their facial expression? Your freedom is be the annoyance of the other, and the it's the other way around too. That's how it works. Their mask bothering you, their freedom.

I would just leave them alone and let them live their lives the way they think is right if I were so persistent claiming my own freedom.
Yes, still frustrated about to last 3 years. And worried that such a large part of the world was okay with the mandates.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
You're not worried about yourself interfering in the live of total strangers to change their 'idiotic behavior'. Pretty scary in my eyes. Also considering you're doing this in a bar, or in a restaurant. With the staff I assume? Staff, people not in a position to argue with you, or to tell you to f*ck off interfering in their personal life because you're the customer and you have to be treated with respect.

I think you cross a few lines 'teaching strangers'. The fact others still want to wear a mask, for whatever reason, is non of your business. People do all kinds of stuff for all kinds of reasons. People don't just follow reason. And as long as they don't harm you, why bother with their behavior when personal freedom is so high on your list of priorities? Or is it just your freedom that's important? Or just freedom when it suits you?

Next you'll be telling them to go to church, or gender neutral toilets in the bar would be a great idea, or you're teaching them about how your gender fluidity made you a complete person.

Just don't. My 2 cents.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

to mask or not to mask>
ahhh, the age old question, as far as i see it here, the government told people to wear masks, as most Thai's and SE Asian's in general, ( for the most part) follow whatever the government says so, masks were used and are still used>
I'd wear a mask when it was required and i'd wear one if i was sick, ( but most likely wold not be out in public if i was sick)

I still love seeing thais siting alone in their car's, windows up, wearing a mask, Or riding their motorbikes ( no helmets) but wearing a mask

To each their own, for the most part we live in a free world

sorry to interrupt ur internal fight guys :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Had to wear one this morning (Asiana flight).
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:27 am to mask or not to mask>
ahhh, the age old question, as far as i see it here, the government told people to wear masks, as most Thai's and SE Asian's in general, ( for the most part) follow whatever the government says so, masks were used and are still used>
I'd wear a mask when it was required and i'd wear one if i was sick, ( but most likely wold not be out in public if i was sick)

I still love seeing thais siting alone in their car's, windows up, wearing a mask, Or riding their motorbikes ( no helmets) but wearing a mask

In all fairness, in the United States you will see bikers riding with no helmet but a mask, usually a bandanna or cloth wrap, pretty much every day of the week.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Had to wear on my recent Korean Air flights - they gave them to me and asked me three times to put it on, but after wheels up they served food - the mask came off and stayed off and no one mentioned it again.
Stay classy na
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I had to wear one to and from Manila and on an internal flight. I wasn't allowed in the airport without a mask, but once inside I took it off and nobody bothered me. On the flight, I had to put it on, but as soon as they turned their backs I took it off.

It's not a 'freedom' thing - I just don't like wearing them, they are irritating if I am not ultra closed shaved, they are totally fucking useless and pointless and the authorities have got used to demanding them and people complying. It's a farce.

If you want to wear one, go for it. But I don't and I won't wherever possible.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:42 am

In all fairness, in the United States you will see bikers riding with no helmet but a mask, usually a bandanna or cloth wrap, pretty much every day of the week.
I would guess riding without a helmet where it is not required to wear one, unlike thailand where its the law.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Here’s a fun fact- the airline can stipulate all sorts of things. By buying the ticket, the terms of carriage are implicitly accepted. The cabin crew, flight crew, check in staff and anyone else working for the airline have no direct or immediate authority to ignore the rules that are imposed.

Even if the airline that you are travelling with are the ONLY airline in the world stipulating masks; the mask is required. The ticket was bought, therefore the terms agreed with.
Which is a completely different conversation from the discussion about ‘do masks make sense, now?’
You can debate it as much as you wish, but on passing the cabin door, or the area that is under the authority of the airline, the airline’s rules apply, in addition to any laws in force.

Do I think residual mask mandates make sense? No. But it’s not my call.
Do I think that staff making no appreciable effort to be understood while mumbling from behind said mask is dumb? Yes. I’ll happily tell them quite clearly why I haven’t a clue what they’ve said, and where I think the problem lies. It’ll likely be down to completely inadequate training.

A major frustrating aspect during the entire COVID period was the utter inconsistency across the board regarding applied precautions. It was utterly dumb how badly thought out many of the procedures were. Worse were the powers given to people to enforce the ridiculousness, which I’m sure was the source of much of the angst.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

:noplay:
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:59 am
Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:42 am

I would guess riding without a helmet where it is not required to wear one, unlike thailand where its the law.
Again in all fairness, I didn’t think that was the point you were trying to make in your post, I thought it was a safety point of view.
Joakim
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Joakim »

When I was flying IST-TPE-PNH with Turkish/EVA in January it was mandatory with mask on both flights.
As the staff told me all flights in/out of Taiwan need mask.

Going back PNH-TPE-IST EVA/Turkish 6/3 we needed mask on EVA flight but last leg to IST not even the crew had mask.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic