Hotels in koh rong samloem given 3 days to shut down

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Hotels in koh rong samloem given 3 days to shut down

Post by jaynewcastle »

WillieW wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:24 pm Can't see why anyone would want to go there for a holiday anyway. The place has nothing going for it whatsoever. Dodgy dirty and dangerous are the three words that come to mind when I think of it. I guess the only people who go there are those who don't know what's going on there.
I'm guessing you have never been ?, its a beautiful island
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:59 pm
Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:50 am Been reading and had info confirmed by workers on samloem that some hotels are being shut down and have been given 3 days notice. Bit outrageous if really true, what about people that have holidays booked?
I can still book them for March....
Even if they have been taken by surprise I would expect them to close this kind of stuff.
This is cambodia, if you get shut down, pocket any money you can, this is my worry as i have a party of 11 booked for april and i dont wanna get stitched up.
If you book through a site like booking.com they should be protecting your transaction...if you booked directly through the hotel you might be screwed.
Malone
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Malone »

techietraveller84 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:03 pm
Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:50 am Been reading and had info confirmed by workers on samloem that some hotels are being shut down and have been given 3 days notice. Bit outrageous if really true, what about people that have holidays booked?
Even if they have been taken by surprise I would expect them to close this kind of stuff.
This is cambodia, if you get shut down, pocket any money you can, this is my worry as i have a party of 11 booked for april and i dont wanna get stitched up.
If you book through a site like booking.com they should be protecting your transaction...if you booked directly through the hotel you might be screwed.
booking.com doesn't do sh*t to protect it's customers.
i booked three nigjts in istanbul on a fake hotel, that didn't exist.
don't e, pect any help from booking. com
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Malone wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:09 pm
BS :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Maybe but I was taken in a similar manner in June by Agoda (which I believe is either an off shoot of booking or owned by the same folks). Booked a hotel in PP for 2 nights. On arrival imagine my surprise (now 11 PM) when I arrive to find it shuttered. When I contacted the company they claimed that because the hotel did not respond to their enquiries there was nothing to be done and I did not qualify for a refund. Yeah, that's because they are fucking closed!!! What a bunch of asswipes, As far as I am concerned that's fraud.
Malone
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Malone »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:30 pm
Malone wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:09 pm

BS :stir:
well then, elaborate.
what's bs? booking.com does absolutely nothing.
i tried. the story is true.
oh wait, the offer from the fake hotel disappeared from the website. yeah, they did something.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Have any hotels closed yet, 3 days after they were given 3 days notice to close ?
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

jaynewcastle wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:49 am Have any hotels closed yet, 3 days after they were given 3 days notice to close ?
They had to be closed by last night, so interesting to find out
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

johnny lightning wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:45 pm Maybe but I was taken in a similar manner in June by Agoda (which I believe is either an off shoot of booking or owned by the same folks). Booked a hotel in PP for 2 nights. On arrival imagine my surprise (now 11 PM) when I arrive to find it shuttered. When I contacted the company they claimed that because the hotel did not respond to their enquiries there was nothing to be done and I did not qualify for a refund. Yeah, that's because they are fucking closed!!! What a bunch of asswipes, As far as I am concerned that's fraud.
booking.com and agoda are both owned by Priceline>Kayak.com as well

I worked for Agoda back in 2000-2002 before it was agoda :-)

send them a follow up letter , they will refund or give ya credit.

Many companies will send off a letter denying refunds as standard practice, figuring only a small % will follow up.

FYI:
The difference between Priceline and Booking.com is that Priceline’s ideology is to secure the best prices for customers by finding the cheapest travel options for them. On the other hand, Booking.com aims at making traveling convenient by providing all the travel-related options at one place offering a plethora of options to the consumers.

FFYI:
agoda is better for Asia, booking.com for Europe and elsewhere :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic