Hotels in koh rong samloem given 3 days to shut down

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Hotels in koh rong samloem given 3 days to shut down

Post by truffledog »

Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:59 pm
....moonlight resort and the one definately have to close.
I wonder what kind of contract they were on.
work is for people who cant find truffles
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

techietraveller84 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:13 pm What did they do to be shut down so quickly?
they didn't pay the T money to the guberment
Be your own toy.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:50 am Been reading and had info confirmed by workers on samloem that some hotels are being shut down and have been given 3 days notice. Bit outrageous if really true, what about people that have holidays booked?

This is a huge upscale resort.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:50 am Been reading and had info confirmed by workers on samloem that some hotels are being shut down and have been given 3 days notice. Bit outrageous if really true, what about people that have holidays booked?

I can still book them for March....

Even if they have been taken by surprise I would expect them to close this kind of stuff.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:59 pm

Even if they have been taken by surprise I would expect them to close this kind of stuff.
This is cambodia, if you get shut down, pocket any money you can, this is my worry as i have a party of 11 booked for april and i dont wanna get stitched up.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

If I was a worker at one of these resorts I'd accidentally leave with a few desktops
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

WillieW wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:36 pm
techietraveller84 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:13 pm What did they do to be shut down so quickly?
they didn't pay the T money to the guberment
but sure they did pay someone rent. That someone has probably done a runner?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

Darkcel wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:11 pm If I was a worker at one of these resorts I'd accidentally leave with a few desktops
pebbles&nightsky
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Soriya wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:59 pm

This is cambodia, if you get shut down, pocket any money you can, this is my worry as i have a party of 11 booked for april and i dont wanna get stitched up.
They are rushing to close these places down, but then what happens (three days later) ?
Possibility 1: The closed resort hotels are bulldozed immediately and Saracen Bay goes back to jungle. Work on the big resort will start whenever it starts.
Possibility 2: The best of the vacant resort hotel properties are either taken over by the landlord, or are rented out with illegal fly-by-night contracts, (make small money while the big boys get their finance together).

I have nothing concrete to base my opinion on, but this whole business reminds me of the government's "use it or lose it" ultimatum for Cambodia's tourist spots. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the developers start to bulldoze in order to lay claim to their contracts, (look we are "using it"), and then nothing more happens for a long time.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

Can't see why anyone would want to go there for a holiday anyway. The place has nothing going for it whatsoever. Dodgy dirty and dangerous are the three words that come to mind when I think of it. I guess the only people who go there are those who don't know what's going on there.
Be your own toy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic