A torn 50k Riel from an ATM

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

A torn 50k Riel from an ATM

Post by IraHayes »

Took 2 from an ABA atm this morning.
Handed 1 over to pay for some stuff in the market and the vendor spotted a near perfect tear I an otherwise mint and crisp note.
Went back to the branch as its literally just round the corner and note was changed without question in less than 5 minutes.
Time from receiving money from ATM to returning to exchange was about 30 mins.
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Re: A torn 50k Riel from an ATM

Post by chriz_PP »

we all love happy endings
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

"2" x 50K notes? TWO?

Are you planning a big weekend?
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

No matter 20k-100usd I always make a point to hold the bills up to the ATM camera. I'm surprised they exchanged this fast, maybe I'll have to loosen my habit.
Rockman Lover
Expatriate

Post by Rockman Lover »

I thought they only reject ripped American dollars.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

A happy ending at Kiwi. Paying with a new $100 I got a $20 back with a 2mm nick along the bottom edge - and of course I didn't notice.

I found out when I tried to use it in another shop. Two days later I decided to take the bull by the horns and went back to Kiwi, handing the cashier the note and saying You gave this to me and it isn't good - you can change it. Which she did.

There's an increasing push away from the dollar, with several supermarkets pricing in Riel on the shelves, till displays and receipts. Sometimes itemising only in Khmer.

I've had more damaged dollars in my change recently and have noticed that they are scrutinising my fresh $100s more than usual, often calling for a second opinion.

Maybe there has been a recent influx of some good fakes.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Darkcel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:14 pm No matter 20k-100usd I always make a point to hold the bills up to the ATM camera. I'm surprised they exchanged this fast, maybe I'll have to loosen my habit.
You loser
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:33 pm
Darkcel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:14 pm No matter 20k-100usd I always make a point to hold the bills up to the ATM camera. I'm surprised they exchanged this fast, maybe I'll have to loosen my habit.
You loser
May be a loser, but I'm not a libertarian cuckold like yourself.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Darkcel wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:04 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:33 pm
You loser
May be a loser, but I'm not a libertarian cuckold like yourself.
There's nowt cuck about libertarianism, its the most uncuck political system. It's the only way to fly.
Wod
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Wod »

Stravaiger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:12 pm

I've had more damaged dollars in my change recently and have noticed that they are scrutinising my fresh $100s more than usual, often calling for a second opinion.

Maybe there has been a recent influx of some good fakes.
I noticed this at AAA Supermarket the other day in Siem Reap: both girls behind the till look confused as if they never seen the Founding Fruit Franklin in his baby blues, they even brought over their boss despite me pulling it fresh from the Acleda (iirc) ATM right outside
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic