Serve & Support? No more in America

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Serve & Support? No more in America

Post by phuketrichard »

this is a travesty of power>

5 ex-Memphis police officers, ( they were fired) are charged with murder in Tyre Nichols' death
Nichols, 29, died three days after Memphis police pulled him over and allegedly beat him. Video of the encounter will be released after 6 p.m. local time Friday.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Five former Memphis police officers were indicted Thursday on murder charges in the death of Tyre Nichols, whose beating after a traffic stop was captured on video that “sickened” a top Tennessee law enforcement official.

Police had said that Nichols was supposedly stopped for reckless driving, but Memphis Police Chief C.J. Davis said early Friday morning an investigation and review of available camera footage had found "no proof" of that.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/le ... -rcna67632

Worse than the Rodney king beating
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Serve & Support? No more in America

Post by Little_Vicious »

Just a few bad apples, right?

I mentioned this in a different thread a few days ago. I'm absolutely appalled, but not really surprised given the way that policing has been in the states. Glad they've been fired & charged with murder without dicking around with "suspended with pay" while being investigated.

Wtf happened to all those calls/promises for police reform that fueled the Biden campaign?
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Where's BLM when you really need them?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I can already see where this is heading.

People will protest, the majority will be peaceful -maybe a few will let their emotions get the better of them and they'll throw a punch at a cop or something and there will be a minor scuffle that will be caught on camera and used to show how violent and lawless the demonstrators are.

The local gangsters, thugs, and ne'er do wells will take the opportunity to indulge in a bit of drunken hellraising and looting to score a new wardrobe and a big tv while everyone else watches helplessly, wishing those dickheads wouldn't destroy their community. That will also be caught on camera and used to show the demonstrators are all violent, lawless thugs.

Militant-type groups from out of the area with an agenda - BLM, Antifa, white pride groups etc will show up stirring shit to further muddy the water and try to start a race war, or whatever it is they're praying for. Whatever they do will also be caught on camera and used to prove...whatever.

People will watch it all play out on tv, seeing the opportunists raising hell, and form their opinion of the majority - who just want to tell the politicians they're sick of police acting like gang members - based on the dickheads on tv. There will be a lot of confirmation bias thrown around.

People around the world will watch it on tv and ask how the fuck does this keep happening? The cops will go to prison, politicians will vow to get tough on crime and clean up the police, and sometime fairly soon it'll happen again because it's probably a very complex situation that can't be solved simply by sending in different cops to clean up the crime.

ADD: Sometime soon, someone will chime in with a comment about how the cops were all black as proof of ... something.
Last edited by Random Dude on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I watched the videos this morning. Absolutely appalling! The "officers" looked like they were recruited from the hood. Seems pretty much anyone can become a cop in the US? These guys were pissed off at having to chase Nichols and managing to spray themselves with pepper spray and decided to give a back alley smack down.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

hanno wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:52 am I watched the videos this morning. Absolutely appalling! The "officers" looked like they were recruited from the hood. Seems pretty much anyone can become a cop in the US? These guys were pissed off at having to chase Nichols and managing to spray themselves with pepper spray and decided to give a back alley smack down.
People will say 'but he shouldn't have run". And generally, they'd be right, if you run from the cops, resist arrest, etc you can expect to get dealt with more severely. But that poor guy probably knew what the local cops were like, realized he was going to be the next statistic, and panicked. Can't say I blame him for trying to run.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:02 am
hanno wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:52 am I watched the videos this morning. Absolutely appalling! The "officers" looked like they were recruited from the hood. Seems pretty much anyone can become a cop in the US? These guys were pissed off at having to chase Nichols and managing to spray themselves with pepper spray and decided to give a back alley smack down.
People will say 'but he shouldn't have run". And generally, they'd be right, if you run from the cops, resist arrest, etc you can expect to get dealt with more severely. But that poor guy probably knew what the local cops were like, realized he was going to be the next statistic, and panicked. Can't say I blame him for trying to run.
He knew "SCORPION" had him and probably was well aware this would end badly. A police unit calling itself Scorpion is not exactly confidence inspiring. (If you wonder: Street Crimes Operation to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods. I am sure they gave themselves the name first and then made up the acronym).
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The joys of community policing? Needing people from the area to gain the respect of those people being policed and served?

There are quite a few jobs and roles in life where the ideal candidate might not touch it with a ten foot pole. The less ideal candidate, or the only person that applied, might get it, instead.
If there is sufficient need for extra staff fulfilling a role, either you must stretch the current staff, which is unsustainable long term, or you need to lower the standard.
If the hiring practices result in character types being recruited that are not suited to the task, there’s only an endless degradation until something bad happens. Again.

The abundance of YouTube videos of biased reporting AND clear police over reaction and misconduct hasn’t gone unnoticed. Does that inform, or mislead?

This group appear like a pack of animals. Little restraint or obvious supervision. But one of the videos appeared to show 4 cops directly involved, yet 5 are indicted. The ring-leader? (I need to watch them again….)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

police were never really god guys but these guys take it to another level: and than lied to boot :facepalm:
After the first officer roughly pulls Nichols out of a car, Nichols can be heard saying, “I didn’t do anything,” as a group of officers begins to wrestle him to the ground.

One officer is heard yelling, “Tase him! Tase him!”

Nichols calmly says, “OK, I’m on the ground.”

“You guys are really doing a lot right now,” Nichols says. “I’m just trying to go home.”

“Stop, I’m not doing anything,” he yells moments later.

Nichols can then be seen running as an officer fires a Taser at him. The officers then start chasing Nichols.

Other officers are called, and a search ensues before Nichols is caught at another intersection. The officers beat him with a baton, and kick and punch him.

Security camera footage shows three officers surrounding Nichols as he lies in the street cornered between police cars, with a fourth officer nearby.

Two officers hold Nichols to the ground as he moves about, and then the third appears to kick him in the head. Nichols slumps more fully onto the pavement with all three officers surrounding him. The same officer kicks him again.

The fourth officer then walks over, draws a baton and holds it up at shoulder level as two officers hold Nichols upright, as if he were sitting.

“I’m going to baton the f— out you,” one officer can be heard saying. His body camera shows him raise his baton while at least one other officer holds Nichols. The officer strikes Nichols on the back with the baton three times in a row.

The other officers then appear to hoist Nichols to his feet, with him flopping like a doll, barely able to stay upright.

An officer then punches him in the face, as the officer with the baton continues to menace him. Nichols stumbles and turns, still held up by two officers. The officer who punched him then walks around to Nichols’ front and punches him four more times. Then Nichols collapses.

Two officers can then be seen atop Nichols on the ground, with a third nearby, for about 40 seconds. Three more officers then run up, and one can be seen kicking Nichols on the ground.

As Nichols is slumped up against a car, not one of the officers renders aid. The body camera footage shows a first-person view of one of them reaching down and tying his shoe.

It takes more than 20 minutes after Nichols is beaten and on the pavement before any sort of medical attention is provided, even though two fire department officers arrived on the scene with medical equipment within 10 minutes.

Throughout the videos, officers make claims about Nichols’ behavior that are not supported by the footage or that the district attorney and other officials have said did not happen. In one of the videos, an officer claims that during the initial traffic stop Nichols reached for his gun before fleeing and almost had his hand on the handle, which is not shown in the video.
https://www.denverpost.com/2023/01/27/t ... n-video-2/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:48 am police were never really god guys …… but these guys take it to another level: and than lied to boot :facepalm:
That first part isn’t really true- is that your genuine opinion? Certainly the well publicized negative incidents across the US might give that impression. There’s plenty of idiots everywhere to put a bad perception on things.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic