Phnom Penh Ranks As 2nd Cheapest Asian City For International Schools

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Phnom Penh Ranks As 2nd Cheapest Asian City For International Schools

Post by ego bibere nimis »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:05 pm Is there actually a standard for international schools? Or can anyone just stick up a sign claiming to be an international school?
"Or can anyone just stick up a sign claiming to be an international school" why not! anyone can do a crash course, get certified and go and teach! 2nd cheapest in Asia, no surprise really - you do get what you pay for.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Re: Phnom Penh Ranks As 2nd Cheapest Asian City For International Schools

Post by Cambo Dear »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:52 am
Rune wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:58 pm
Cambo Dear wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:24 pm I believe there are various accrediting bodies, but in truth you'd want your kid to have an internationally recognised qualification at the end of their education and having spent all of that money. The ones that offer that are CISP, ISPP, Northridge, Hope, The Giving Tree and BISPP depending on which qualification you wanted to end up with and none of them would be anywhere near the lower end of that scale in terms of fees.

My information is out of date admittedly, but imho unless the children are working towards the IB or GCSE's and A-Levels then there's little point in sending them to an International School. You may as well send them to somewhere like American Intercon.
I have my school-age child in AIS. That's not on your list. Seems fairly good though. Which school have you people with children them at?
Isn't American Intercon the same as AIS? Cambo Dear mentioned that but I don't know why they don't consider it an international school.
I would say it's because they don't offer an internationally recognised qualification. You study programmes in English and work towards the national Khmer exams and in a national context, that's probably more than enough, but it doesn't make it an international school by any standard measures. Cost of international schools was one of the major factors for us relocating back to my country. That's just a personal preference and I am not saying that my decision detracts from anyone else's, but it was a major one for us and we still believe it was the right decision.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic