Time for the money thing again? How much are you spending these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How much money a month does it cost you to live?

$0-$500
8%
$500-$750
8%
$750-$1000
12%
$1000-$1500
32%
$1500-$2000
17%
$2000-$3000
8%
$3000-$5000
8%
$5000-$7500
2%
$7500-$10,000
2%
More than $10,000
2%

Total votes: 59
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Time for the money thing again? How much are you spending these days?

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I'm on $3,000 to $5,000 and single with low rent, yet there is still so much month left, at the end of the money.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

I'd say on average about $1700 a month for a wee family of 3, sometimes more with trips away.

Here's a bit of a rough breakdown:

$500 for a 2BR apartment including bills
$400 on food/groceries
$200 Insurance and nursery for the kid
$50 on transport
$100 on delivery apps
$400 in the pub / eating out
$50 on coffees / coconuts

Still manage to save each month, though I could definitely put away more if I wasn't such a greedy, thirsty bastard 🍻🍻🍻
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I never get it, why people complain about the food here. Yes, it is not the stuff you have grow up with. If you want that, sure, you easily pay $10 to $15 (+service charge + drinks) per meal in a restaurant. But if you don't mind rice and keep to the local food in family run places outside the tourist area, it gets challenging to have a total bill of more than $4 per person. My room costs me $50 per month. True, no pool, no gym; 1st floor (GF costs $65, but has this classic Khmer, semi upper floor included). Electricity bill rarely more than $4 per month. Water the same. I am too lazy to do my laundry myself - for 2k per kilo I am not getting my hands wet. I drive electrical, and since I use the swap system, I have only a fixed $20 "fuel" costs per month. On top of this there is a health insurance (Allianz Partners AWP Health & Life), that costs me a whooping $100 per month. So my total, monthly expenses are not exceeding $350 - which is about ⅔ of the bare rent I had to pay for my appartment back in Germany.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Sheepdog wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 pm I'd say on average about $1700 a month for a wee family of 3, sometimes more with trips away.

$400 on food/groceries
$50 on transport
$100 on delivery apps

Still manage to save each month, though I could definitely put away more if I wasn't such a greedy, thirsty bastard 🍻🍻🍻
what about buying stuff like mobile phones, TV, furniture, clothes, shoes, gifts/presents, sport activities (and equipment). I guess you spend easily 2000++ and still domestic/international travel excluded.
work is for people who cant find truffles
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

ressl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm it gets challenging to have a total bill of more than $4 per person. My room costs me $50 per month. True, no pool, no gym; 1st floor (GF costs $65, but has this classic Khmer, semi upper floor included). Electricity bill rarely more than $4 per month. Water the same.
Where do you live?

Electric of $4 per month seems impossible. Do you not own a fridge?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ressl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm I never get it, why people complain about the food here. Yes, it is not the stuff you have grow up with. If you want that, sure, you easily pay $10 to $15 (+service charge + drinks) per meal in a restaurant.
I can't remember I've ever been charged service charge in restaurant in Cambodia by the way.
Anyone else?

Are you sure you're living in Cambodia?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ressl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm I never get it, why people complain about the food here. Yes, it is not the stuff you have grow up with. If you want that, sure, you easily pay $10 to $15 (+service charge + drinks) per meal in a restaurant. But if you don't mind rice and keep to the local food in family run places outside the tourist area, it gets challenging to have a total bill of more than $4 per person. My room costs me $50 per month. True, no pool, no gym; 1st floor (GF costs $65, but has this classic Khmer, semi upper floor included). Electricity bill rarely more than $4 per month. Water the same. I am too lazy to do my laundry myself - for 2k per kilo I am not getting my hands wet. I drive electrical, and since I use the swap system, I have only a fixed $20 "fuel" costs per month. On top of this there is a health insurance (Allianz Partners AWP Health & Life), that costs me a whooping $100 per month. So my total, monthly expenses are not exceeding $350 - which is about ⅔ of the bare rent I had to pay for my appartment back in Germany.
i saw what my gf's $60/month room looked like in 2008 so cant even imagine $50 in 2023

SO ur rent, Insurance, fuel, laundry ( 20 kilo's/month = $40) is $210/month, that leaves you with Less than $140/month ( after electric, ( no fridge, no fans, no tv nothing ??) & water) for food
and NOTHING else!!
:please:

BS
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

ressl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm I never get it, why people complain about the food here. Yes, it is not the stuff you have grow up with. If you want that, sure, you easily pay $10 to $15 (+service charge + drinks) per meal in a restaurant. But if you don't mind rice and keep to the local food in family run places outside the tourist area, it gets challenging to have a total bill of more than $4 per person. My room costs me $50 per month. True, no pool, no gym; 1st floor (GF costs $65, but has this classic Khmer, semi upper floor included). Electricity bill rarely more than $4 per month. Water the same. I am too lazy to do my laundry myself - for 2k per kilo I am not getting my hands wet. I drive electrical, and since I use the swap system, I have only a fixed $20 "fuel" costs per month. On top of this there is a health insurance (Allianz Partners AWP Health & Life), that costs me a whooping $100 per month. So my total, monthly expenses are not exceeding $350 - which is about ⅔ of the bare rent I had to pay for my appartment back in Germany.
If you make such an insane comparison, you really need to post photos and map locations of your room in Cambodia and of your former room in Germany.

Also, at $4 per month for electricity and given Cambodia's pretty steep electricity rate, that means no air-conditioning, yes? Not that I'd expect a $50 room to have an a/c unit anyway. That might be okay in January, but sounds like torture in, say, April.

I've seen 1,500 baht rooms in Thailand, which is about the same rent. They look pretty grim. I'd be surprised if you can get anything better in Cambodia for that money.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

truffledog wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:04 am
Sheepdog wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 pm I'd say on average about $1700 a month for a wee family of 3, sometimes more with trips away.

$400 on food/groceries
$50 on transport
$100 on delivery apps

what about buying stuff like mobile phones, TV, furniture, clothes, shoes, gifts/presents, sport activities (and equipment). I guess you spend easily 2000++ and still domestic/international travel excluded.
Yeah, you're not wrong! All those things add up, and plenty of other little things that you never factor in. Just renewed my visa, had a few shirts made and a massage. $400 gone.

Some months are definitely more expensive than others!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

cautious colin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 am
ressl wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm it gets challenging to have a total bill of more than $4 per person. My room costs me $50 per month. True, no pool, no gym; 1st floor (GF costs $65, but has this classic Khmer, semi upper floor included). Electricity bill rarely more than $4 per month. Water the same.
Where do you live?

Electric of $4 per month seems impossible. Do you not own a fridge?
He said that his Electricity is $4 per person. thats around 16Kw/hr per person per month.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic