Time for the money thing again? How much are you spending these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How much money a month does it cost you to live?

$0-$500
8%
$500-$750
8%
$750-$1000
12%
$1000-$1500
32%
$1500-$2000
17%
$2000-$3000
8%
$3000-$5000
8%
$5000-$7500
2%
$7500-$10,000
2%
More than $10,000
2%

Total votes: 59
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Time for the money thing again? How much are you spending these days?

Post by Alex »

hanno wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:39 pm I am still a little shell shocked. I arrived in PP four weeks ago and find it very (unreasonably) expensive. Rents are a joke, restaurants are generally exorbitant, shopping is crazy. I spent the last few years in Vietnam and pretty much everything was cheaper there apart from cars.
I agree, it feels the same for me compared with Bangkok. I don't mind spending a bit more in Phnom Penh, but in sone cases (rent in particular) the differences are really crazy. On food, you can spend pretty much any amount in both places, from very cheap food to very expensive, but the big difference is that cheap food in Phnom Penh is often inedible.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:31 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:39 pm I am still a little shell shocked. I arrived in PP four weeks ago and find it very (unreasonably) expensive. Rents are a joke, restaurants are generally exorbitant, shopping is crazy. I spent the last few years in Vietnam and pretty much everything was cheaper there apart from cars.
I agree, it feels the same for me compared with Bangkok. I don't mind spending a bit more in Phnom Penh, but in sone cases (rent in particular) the differences are really crazy. On food, you can spend pretty much any amount in both places, from very cheap food to very expensive, but the big difference is that cheap food in Phnom Penh is often inedible.
I looked at two apartments today, just a walk-in to a building off Riverside that has been recommended. It is an 8 storey purpose-built block, 10 years old. It looked promising.

The 1 bedroom was in fact a bedroom with a small sofa and TV in it, a big bathroom with a bath/shower and lots of wasted space, a tiny kitchen with a table in it and a foyer connected them all - $550pm 7th floor, and of course no doors on the staircase, so another chimney waiting for a fire.

The other was a 2 bedroom which was jaw-droppingly designed. Two huge bedrooms, both with large ensuites, a further toilet with the washing machine in it, a smallish kitchen with minimal counter space, a tiny living room about the same size as the en-suites and a huge windowless foyer connecting all rooms. It must be 90sqm, with about 40sqm that I would use. If you tried to win a bad design award, this would be right up there. $750pm.

They both suffered from a serious lack of natural light and this was exacerbated by dark wood everywhere and the living rooms in darkness and all the natural light going into both bedrooms. Unbelievably depressing.

What does $750 get you in Bangkok?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I said 750-1000, but I think I am in the lower group most of the time, with a few expensive months a year averaging to about 800 per month

If I wanted to I’m sure I could live in less than 500, but have the advantage of no rent which helps.

And I am sure I could spend a lot more if I wanted to, but I don’t see the need and enjoy cooking and eating at home
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:59 pm What does $750 get you in Bangkok?
A very decent condo. Size and specs would obviously depend on the location, as Bangkok is huge, but you'd be spoiled for choice.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

There are some landlords who aren't greedy, I'm paying $250pm plus electricity, water and WiFi, I've been there for 4 years so the rent may be a bit more now for new renters.
Great landlords, close to Old Market so pretty handy to most things.
1 bedroom w small ensuite, bathroom, basic kitchen, lounge and balcony modern building and furnished 😊
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Alex wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:47 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:59 pm What does $750 get you in Bangkok?
A very decent condo. Size and specs would obviously depend on the location, as Bangkok is huge, but you'd be spoiled for choice.
Yes indeed, US$750/26,000 baht would be a nice start toward a nice condo place out along Sukhumvit. The farther out, say past On Nut to Bang Chak/Punnawithi/Udom Suk, would get you more, as reported by acquaintances. Also, there are more farang pubs/shops out that way now, too. But it's not at all far to the likes of Soi Cowboy at Asok or Nana Plaza at Nana BTS. Me, I'd stay away from anywhere inbound from Asok, actually Phrom Phong, in fact. That be infested with dirty farang tourists. I'm at Phra Khanong, which is just far enough away from said tourists and close enough to Asok -- though I rarely leave my village.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I'd love to hear from the 1 that lives on $10,000+ a month

to bad he cant post anonymously
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I spend less than pre 2020 because I am not earning quite as much

Rent, utilities, transport, food, kids school, pets and sundry costs like beer and pot runs us a minimum of $2500 per month without being in any way extravagant

I could easily spend twice that much though
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:45 pm I'd love to hear from the 1 that lives on $10,000+ a month

to bad he cant post anonymously
Plenty like that around, good folks to be on friendly terms with lol
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Kangaruchi wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:29 pm There are some landlords who aren't greedy, I'm paying $250pm plus electricity, water and WiFi, I've been there for 4 years so the rent may be a bit more now for new renters.
Great landlords, close to Old Market so pretty handy to most things.
1 bedroom w small ensuite, bathroom, basic kitchen, lounge and balcony modern building and furnished 😊
Can you be more precise about the location of your building.
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic