Time for the money thing again? How much are you spending these days?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How much money a month does it cost you to live?

$0-$500
8%
$500-$750
8%
$750-$1000
12%
$1000-$1500
32%
$1500-$2000
17%
$2000-$3000
8%
$3000-$5000
8%
$5000-$7500
2%
$7500-$10,000
2%
More than $10,000
2%

Total votes: 59
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Time for the money thing again? How much are you spending these days?

Post by truffledog »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:48 pm
truffledog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:28 pm just to note that the average YEARLY income of cambodian citizen is roughly 2000-3000 US$. You will find stats that are even well below those figures.
Yes, many Cambodians struggle financially in day to day life. It's one of the reasons we have a Cambodian living in with us to support the studies But I don't think that's the scope of this poll.
The interesting comparison is the fact that CEO members seem to spend 6-7 times an average cambodian salary (as pool per NOW)
work is for people who cant find truffles
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I am still a little shell shocked. I arrived in PP four weeks ago and find it very (unreasonably) expensive. Rents are a joke, restaurants are generally exorbitant, shopping is crazy. I spent the last few years in Vietnam and pretty much everything was cheaper there apart from cars.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

hanno wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:39 pm I am still a little shell shocked. I arrived in PP four weeks ago and find it very (unreasonably) expensive. Rents are a joke, restaurants are generally exorbitant, shopping is crazy. I spent the last few years in Vietnam and pretty much everything was cheaper there apart from cars.
Yup ...I am doing all my own cooking. Rent plus food, transport and extra costs will run me 600 not including the 10% tax on my wage.. . . The supermarkets are insane...you have to look hard and visit more than one to compare prices...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

orichá wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:21 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:39 pm I am still a little shell shocked. I arrived in PP four weeks ago and find it very (unreasonably) expensive. Rents are a joke, restaurants are generally exorbitant, shopping is crazy. I spent the last few years in Vietnam and pretty much everything was cheaper there apart from cars.
Yup ...I am doing all my own cooking. Rent plus food, transport and extra costs will run me 600 not including the 10% tax on my wage.. . . The supermarkets are insane...you have to look hard and visit more than one to compare prices...
I do accept that people can be a little shocked that a supposed 'developing' country like Cambodia can be a lot more expensive than they imagined, but it's not really that different to most other countries. You get what you pay for. If you want to live a westernised lifestyle, live in a westernised apartment in a westernised area and eat westernised food, yes, it'll cost you westernised prices.

Westernised food is a lot more expensive than back home but I'm guessing that's because not only does it have to be imported, and I guess the import tax on westernised food is probably set pretty high.

But I think rents are very reasonable compared to westernised countries. Well, I can only talk about the UK. I can live in a similarly comfortable westernised apartment here for about a quarter the price it would cost me in the UK.

If you're prepared to lower your standards. it's perfectly possible to still live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle here on a fraction of what it would cost back home. Eat like a local, choose a traditional style apartment instead of an ultra modern westernised one, get yourself a partner who isn't with you just for the money, and you can still live here pretty happily and comfortably on a fraction of what it costs back home.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:22 pm
orichá wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:21 pm
I do accept that people can be a little shocked that a supposed 'developing' country like Cambodia can be a lot more expensive than they imagined, but it's not really that different to most other countries. You get what you pay for. If you want to live a westernised lifestyle, live in a westernised apartment in a westernised area and eat westernised food, yes, it'll cost you westernised prices.

Westernised food is a lot more expensive than back home but I'm guessing that's because not only does it have to be imported, and I guess the import tax on westernised food is probably set pretty high.

But I think rents are very reasonable compared to westernised countries. Well, I can only talk about the UK. I can live in a similarly comfortable westernised apartment here for about a quarter the price it would cost me in the UK.

If you're prepared to lower your standards. it's perfectly possible to still live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle here on a fraction of what it would cost back home. Eat like a local, choose a traditional style apartment instead of an ultra modern westernised one, get yourself a partner who isn't with you just for the money, and you can still live here pretty happily and comfortably on a fraction of what it costs back home.
I am not exactly new to the region, having worked in Siem Reap for 6 years and in Vietnam for 20. PP is considerably more expensive than either. My budget for rent is $1,500; haven’t found anything I like yet. That sort of money would get me a nice flat in Berlin!
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

I’ve never found Phnom Penh to be expensive. I feel like I could live comfortably here for under $1000 a month if I stayed out of the bars, and got a long term rental instead of living in hotels.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

But if you drank wine...

And I think rentals in central Phnom Penh compare favourably with central Saigon.

However, it all comes down to specific preferences, which is why resources like numbeo are of limited use. One man's banh mi is another man's Dagwood. Wiener schnitzel (veal) at the Parkhaus hcmc about $15; pork schnitzel with potato salad $4.50 at the Goethe Institute here. Apples and oranges.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

To keep referencing 'the average Cambodian earns $2000 to $3000 a year' is rather pointless.

That would be the average for those sampled so the chap making $10+ million per year would not be included. Funnily enough many won't shout about their huge earnings. Oddly enough they keep it quiet.

This applies to any country. I think Vietnams 'average' is $6k a year yet the increase in supercar dealerships & multi million dollar homes puts that into question.

To sample 1000 (or whatever) low paid workers & conclude an average salary is not representative at all.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

hanno wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:25 amI am not exactly new to the region, having worked in Siem Reap for 6 years and in Vietnam for 20. PP is considerably more expensive than either. My budget for rent is $1,500; haven’t found anything I like yet. That sort of money would get me a nice flat in Berlin!
Lol. I have a place for 250, newish, with swimming pool... (I need to exercise daily to recondition my broken leg.)

Why in the world would you want to throw away 1,500 on rent!? You can get whole houses for 500, even in Phnom Penh.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

orichá wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:15 am
hanno wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:25 amI am not exactly new to the region, having worked in Siem Reap for 6 years and in Vietnam for 20. PP is considerably more expensive than either. My budget for rent is $1,500; haven’t found anything I like yet. That sort of money would get me a nice flat in Berlin!
Lol. I have a place for 250, newish, with swimming pool... (I need to exercise daily to recondition my broken leg.)

Why in the world would you want to throw away 1,500 on rent!? You can get whole houses for 500, even in Phnom Penh.
Where? I am seriously interested.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic