Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Laotiangirl
Tourist
Laos

Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

Post by Laotiangirl »

I spent 4 months in Philippines before I moved to Cambodia, got robbed at gun point while walking through streets of Manila with a lady friend.

Even during my 4 month stay in Manila Philippines I would regularly see news stories of the crazy amount of crimes. I witnessed police pursuit’s of dirt bike bandits on almost a weekly basis. The small expat community that I hung out with, regularly swapped violent crime stories that they had experienced themselves or personally knew of the victim involved. A man a few floors down from me in the last Airbnb I stayed in about 2 weeks before I left was drugged and beaten bloody by some random chick (she may have had assistance) he invited to his room.

Philippines is a beautiful creation, pleasant weather all year around, some of the most gorgeous women I have ever laid eyes on but I will never move back there.

That’s far too much negativity to experience in just 4 short months.

Safety is priority for me. I’ve been here in Cambodia almost 3 months and this is easily one of the the safest places I’ve ever lived. Cambodia for the win. People get robbed and murdered in Philippines. Cambodia is big on Buddhism. Different values. I am in Cambodia and love the people. I feel safer and more peaceful here in Cambodia. I was initially worried Cambodia would be an extremely violent country considering the brutality of the past(Khmer Rouge) but it is a lot safer and peaceful than I expected.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

Post by John Bingham »

It's chilled here most of the time if you are chilled too. I've never had any problems here, but there are plenty of dodgy fuckers around so don't let your guard down.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than I expected considering the history of the nation?

Post by Dario »

As for safety, i was once witness of a robbery in Ermita where the security guard ended up dead.
But it's nothing compared to Rio and especially São Paulo. You best stay away from Latin America.

As for safety in Cambodia, besides the bag snatchers and other petty crime, it's pretty safe.
If you behave weak in public, drunk or otherwise out of tune, bad things can happen.
Like everywhere, even in Singapore.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

Post by Kammekor »

Laotiangirl wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:51 am Cambodia is big on Buddhism.
IMHO that's just a very thin layer covering what's not so nice to see.
Cambodia actually is a very violent country, just read the news, but it's more Cambodians chasing Cambodians over a game of cards, a glass of rice wine, a love affair, or whatever they think is important at that time. The reptile brain takes over and the cleavers come out. As a relative outsider I'd say you're pretty safe for that kind of danger.

But don't let your guard down on the streets. It's not a question if, but when you will lose your phone or bag if you do that.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Since the worst that is most likely to happen to most expats is to get overcharged for a jar of Nutella, I'd say it must be a pretty safe country.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

;-)
Alex wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:54 am Since the worst that is most likely to happen to most expats is to get overcharged for a jar of Nutella, I'd say it must be a pretty safe country.
Good joke.
Boredom is like a shroud
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I would hazard a guess that if you inhabit the areas frequented by expats who take random chicks back to their room then you will see a disproportionate amount of crime irrespective of the country you are in.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I've never felt threatened here. I came full of plans of self-preservation in the event of a street robbery, a cheap watch, small amounts of cash on my person, cheap old phone etc. If I had heeded all the scare stories I would have left immediately.

5 years on and I've never felt threatened here, not by Cambodians anyway. Plenty of drunk foreigners to keep a watchful eye on though. The only time my guard is heightened is during KNY when PP is deserted and all the good people go to their families. What is left is the bad boys, two on a motorbike, prowling around.

The biggest threat to life here is your lifestyle, the traffic and the hospitals.

Edit: In reply to @Bluenose , he makes an excellent point, if you hang around in street 51 at 2 am, all bets are off. I have often said that most of the trouble occurs after midnight.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am
Edit: In reply to @Bluenose , he makes an excellent point, if you hang around in street 51 at 2 am, all bets are off. I have often said that most of the trouble occurs after midnight.

I had more people giving me shit at noon in Manila than anyone has ever given me on street 51 in the middle of the night.
I wanted to like the Philippines, but everything seemed like a pain in the ass. The staff at a bar, about a block from my hotel, insisted that it was too dangerous for me to walk home after dark, and called me a taxi. When I arrived at my hotel, they told me I should be careful taking taxis after dark.

Maybe people were just being paranoid on my behalf, but it’s really the only place I’ve been, aside from Tijuana, that felt threatening.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Ryan754326 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:15 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am

I had more people giving me shit at noon in Manila than anyone has ever given me on street 51 in the middle of the night.
I wanted to like the Philippines, but everything seemed like a pain in the ass. The staff at a bar, about a block from my hotel, insisted that it was too dangerous for me to walk home after dark, and called me a taxi. When I arrived at my hotel, they told me I should be careful taking taxis after dark.

Maybe people were just being paranoid on my behalf, but it’s really the only place I’ve been, aside from Tijuana, that felt threatening.
I'm with you on this one. I also really wanted to like the Philippines but it didn't happen. Strange place and people. I'll take Cambo any day over the Philippines.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic