Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

Post by violet »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:47 am there are very very few areas in Thailand or Cambodia i would not feel safe walking around at night with my cameras.
I wouldn't say the same abut the Philippines and even my home country has areas, the police wont go into at night

How many countries in se Asia or the world ( i haven't been to South America) have armed guards outside all banks and even restaurants and shops?
Isn’t southern Thailand popular with those that want to be kidnapped and killed by militants?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

Post by siliconlife »

violet wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:37 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:47 am there are very very few areas in Thailand or Cambodia i would not feel safe walking around at night with my cameras.
I wouldn't say the same abut the Philippines and even my home country has areas, the police wont go into at night

How many countries in se Asia or the world ( i haven't been to South America) have armed guards outside all banks and even restaurants and shops?
Isn’t southern Thailand popular with those that want to be kidnapped and killed by militants?
That's southern Philippines. The militants in southern Thailand are focused on antigovernmental efforts.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

You don't have the population density in Cambodia that you do in Jakarta or Manila. Not even close to compare these places. Urban poverty that goes on and on for blocks and km's makes for entirely different circumstances for the inhabitants. Phnom Penh is quite small still by this comparison and the associated factors that come with it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

siliconlife wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:46 am
violet wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:37 am

That's southern Philippines. The militants in southern Thailand are focused on antigovernmental efforts.
there are occasional bombings against the police/military an such, but no kidnappings and non thais have NEVER been targeted.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am
The biggest threat to life here is your lifestyle, the traffic and the hospitals.
Good one, @Doc67 Been hemming and hawing for many months on whether I should return to Phnom Penh. You've put your finger on my top two discouragers. Both are age related, as I'm soon to pass through the 7-0 turnstyle.

Trying to cross Norodom at 172 or 154 (name any intersections) toward the riverside was daunting or trying to find a gap through Tsar Tmei traffic circus. Then there's the odds of being run over by a drunk C---ese in a luxury SUV. Mind you I'm never out late anyway so I guess its not a big deal. Anyway, I'm not as fleet of foot as I used to be.

Given a mistake, I know Cambodian hospitals are largely pretty dire. Or name any other affliction that local hospitals may or MAY NOT be capable of dealing with. Alas, Cambodia is for the younger types, I think.

To all, if there is any good news on these two issues, please pass it on.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

violet wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:37 am Isn’t southern Thailand popular with those that want to be kidnapped and killed by militants?
They say there are no dumb questions, but reading something like this, I really despair.
DavidK99
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by DavidK99 »

I'm based in Thailand and haven't spent a lot of time in Cambodia, so I can only give a superficial answer based on two short recent trips. But I had thought about this even before seeing this thread and yes, I do feel like the country is surprisingly safe and peaceful considering the recent history. Maybe it's like a post war boomerang effect where the wartime years were so bad and exhausting that many people naturally go in the opposite direction now and just want a peaceful violence free life and have no desire to look for trouble or escalate a problem situation. On my two recent trips I was based in Siem Reap and didn't go to PP, but I was pleasantly surprised by the easy pace. And when I went on bike rides it seemed like drivers were slow, relaxed, non-aggressive. Northern Thailand's great for cycling, but Cambodia seemed even easier to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic