Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Roysmit
BANNED
Austria

Re: Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

Post by Roysmit »

I always think of Phillipines being like the Nigeria of Asia.
The saying ,you get to the top by stepping on other peoples necks/heads rings true about both countries.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Re: Would u say Cambodia feels safer and peaceful than u expected considering the history of the nation?

Post by Stravaiger »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am The biggest threat to life here is your lifestyle, the traffic and the hospitals.
Well said.

Although as I walked past The Golden Jazz Dynasty club on 63 (opposite the Marriott) on Tuesday around 6pm there was a terrific explosion and a ball of fire burst through two padlocked metal doors. Fortunately I was walking on the road as the pavement was roped off for parking. I was unharmed but I felt the blast of heat on my face, so I moved on rather quickly. People came out to look at several blocks, north and south. Even the security guard woke up.

Yesterday I saw that the tops of the doors had been bent outwards by the blast. Possibly an electrical fire.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Roysmit wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:09 pm I always think of Phillipines being like the Nigeria of Asia.
I think a key factor in this is the prevalence of English in both countries.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Stravaiger wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:28 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am The biggest threat to life here is your lifestyle, the traffic and the hospitals.
Well said.

Although as I walked past The Golden Jazz Dynasty club on 63 (opposite the Marriott) on Tuesday around 6pm there was a terrific explosion and a ball of fire burst through two padlocked metal doors. Fortunately I was walking on the road as the pavement was roped off for parking. I was unharmed but I felt the blast of heat on my face, so I moved on rather quickly. People came out to look at several blocks, north and south. Even the security guard woke up.

Yesterday I saw that the tops of the doors had been bent outwards by the blast. Possibly an electrical fire.
Oh yeah, add fire and random explosions to my list!
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Having spent most of my adult life around South America I would say that Cambodia feels pretty damn safe. Never seen anybody get shot here, not even assaulted or robbed.

When living in Bogota I would take my dog for our final daily walk around midnight, now that was rock n roll. The shit you'd see on a daily basis makes the worst of Cambodia seem like a sunny day in the park.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Cambodia is peaceful, but pretty fucked up compared to Indonesia, which is mainly muslim, and x18 times bigger (pop) and quite very safe anywhere anytime for a foreigner.
I never read so much violent news than in Cambodia, but as said, it occurs almost between Cambodians. It's a lot though for such a small country.
The people still have a good heart though, compared to what they endure(d).

I was pleased to live a while in this Buddhist country, there is indeed a layer of easy going peaceful mind that gives a charm i miss...and gives beautiful stuff to see (ceremonies, temples, offerings...).

Who brings shit will get shit, so choose wisely your behaviour and friends.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Been here almost six years now, can't think of a single instance where I felt threatened or had any kind of sense that something didn't feel safe. Maybe I've just been lucky. I do keep myself to myself most of the time however, rarely go out late at night, especially on my own, and definitely don't allow myself to get stupidly drunk to the point where my judgement is particularly impaired, so those factors probably have a lot to do with it.

Despite what I often read, I genuinely find Cambodians to be some of the nicest, respectful, easygoing people I've ever come across. I fell very, very safe here, and have a lot of admiration for the locals. They can sometimes come across as a little lazy, but I still can't decide if they actually are lazy or they just don't give a shit about stuff that doesn't need giving a shit about anyway.

Coming from London, with its gangs of youths roaming the streets late at night, it's no-go areas and knife crime at an unbelievable high, to a country where young men hold the door open for you, say please and thank you, might hang around in non-threatening groups but you you certainly wouldn't call them 'gangs' in the sense you would in London, it's just a great place to live in my opinion.

Of course crime does exist here, some it it pretty nasty, but I find that most victims are often involved in that kind of world to start with. If you're not, you could still be a victim of crime, as you could anywhere, but you'd be extremely unlucky. Especially any kind of violent crime.

To answer the question, I think it's because of the history that the people re the way they are today. When you've been though what they went through, I think there's more of a determination never to let that kind of barbarism happen again.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Laotiangirl
Tourist
Laos

Post by Laotiangirl »

Virtually every countries at one time or another, has had violent gangs or organized violent crime within their respective communities. Name one country that doesn't have violent gangs? I bet there are none. It's just that poorer undeveloped countries with lower GDP have a tendency to instill more violent behaviours in society and more aggressive , due to survival and weak law enforcements. But when we take all this into consideration, I can safely say that Cambodia is not that violent compared to other ASEAN countries like Thailand and Philippines. I've never encountered any crazy, violent or aggressive Cambodians in real life. I have never been in a place or situation where any Cambodian has displayed any signs of violence towards strangers for absolute no reason. I can safely conclude that Cambodia is peaceful compared to Thailand and Philippines. If they could just get rid of the gangster types, Cambodia would be even safer.

Philippines is the most violent country in Southeast Asia and contrary to popular belief, Thailand is a violent country within Southeast Asia region as well. I've encountered some Thais and Filipinos in some situations do go beserk, totally out of control, and there are plenty of guns and other weapons around. Statistically Thailand and Philippines are pretty close to the top for violent deaths per capita. I know for a fact that in Thailand and Philippines in some neighbourhoods they have groups of violent youths that will attack you for nothing at all just to have a bit of fun. Mostly happens late at night on weekends and they are fueled by alcohol and or drugs and boredom. Not real common that they cause a lot of damage to you but if you put up a good fight you run a real prospect of getting knifed.

However, in developed wealthy countries where strict law enforcement is the norm, outward aggression and gang violence is less prevalent in general - Japan, Singapore. Basically it all comes down to strict or loose law enforcement. That could be one of the reasons why Indonesia is more peaceful compared to Cambodia. Though Indonesia is not exactly a first world country, its still far more developed than Cambodia in nearly all aspects. Having said that, Cambodia is still peaceful compared to many other 3rd world countries.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

I spent three years dabbling in Australian nightlife, and experienced unprovoked violent attacks twice. In fourteen years doing the same in Cambodia, I have experienced it only once. So there ya go.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there are very very few areas in Thailand or Cambodia i would not feel safe walking around at night with my cameras.
I wouldn't say the same abut the Philippines and even my home country has areas, the police wont go into at night

How many countries in se Asia or the world ( i haven't been to South America) have armed guards outside all banks and even restaurants and shops?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic