Koh Samui

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Koh Samui

Post by phuketrichard »

cabron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:07 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:43 pm my last visit to samui was in 2016 an hated it< more expensive than phuket, fuck all to do, really shit taxi drivers when u park ur car on the streets>
I had been there in the early 80's and worked there in the late 80's with a travel magazine
WE were going to stay 5 days and after 2 nights drove back to Phuket via Khao sok park which is great and stayed 3 nights there on the lake

its good for families thou as most resorts are beach front

Been riding bikes, ( and used to race motocross/trails when bones healed easily) since i was 15

My bike before on Phuket

Wich model of Triumph is that?
1970 T100C 500 cc, brought it over from California
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

truffledog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:07 pm For those who have old memories its hard to go back...
I've been experiencing this when returning to favorite old haunts - remembering what the places used to be like, the person I was, what everyone else passing through was like...Sadly it's never going to be the same and I'm never going to feel the same way about these places I once did, too much has changed.

Now the return journeys are becoming more a wander down memory lane than looking to be filled with any sense of uniqueness or wonder from the experience. And although acceptance has begun to replace the frustration of no longer having it the way it once was, and I'm much less aggrieved by the change to my beloved hideaways, I think I'll always want for those old times again just a bit.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:50 pm
truffledog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:07 pm For those who have old memories its hard to go back...
I've been experiencing this when returning to favorite old haunts - remembering what the places used to be like, the person I was, what everyone else passing through was like...Sadly it's never going to be the same and I'm never going to feel the same way about these places I once did, too much has changed.

Now the return journeys are becoming more a wander down memory lane than looking to be filled with any sense of uniqueness or wonder from the experience. And although acceptance has begun to replace the frustration of no longer having it the way it once was, and I'm much less aggrieved by the change to my beloved hideaways, I think I'll always want for those old times again just a bit.
Isn't there an easy solution to this problem? Just visit new places that you've never been to!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Alex wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:58 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:50 pm

Isn't there an easy solution to this problem? Just visit new places that you've never been to!
I enjoyed certain places for certain reasons that were unique to those destinations in a time that was vastly different. I think I'd have to strike out off the pancake trail a fair bit these days to find similar places now (maybe I'm wrong), and the prospect of eight hour Himalayan bus rides or similar journeys don't appeal any more.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

I would never pay 1000 for a room in Thailand. 250 to 300 is my Max. What I don't like in the tourist areas nowadays they seem to be forcing us into dormitories for the same price as a cheap room used to cost. That's another reason why I avoid the tourist parts of Thailand like the plague.
Be your own toy.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

WillieW wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:47 pm I would never pay 1000 for a room in Thailand. 250 to 300 is my Max. What I don't like in the tourist areas nowadays they seem to be forcing us into dormitories for the same price as a cheap room used to cost. That's another reason why I avoid the tourist parts of Thailand like the plague.
You get what you pay for.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

WillieW wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:47 pm I would never pay 1000 for a room in Thailand. 250 to 300 is my Max.
No idea when you've been in Thailand the last time; it almost goes without saying that your options would be pretty shitty at that price point nowadays, even in non-touristy, second-rate provincial towns.

You can refute that, but I dare you to post some pictures of the last 300 baht room you had.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

WillieW wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:47 pm I would never pay 1000 for a room in Thailand. 250 to 300 is my Max. What I don't like in the tourist areas nowadays they seem to be forcing us into dormitories for the same price as a cheap room used to cost. That's another reason why I avoid the tourist parts of Thailand like the plague.
300 baht rooms are to be avoided in the whole country, i'd say 500-750 nowadays gets you something decent with hot water an air con not in a tourist area or in a tourist area out of high season

In a tourist area in season, 1,000 would be minimum
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

Alex wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:17 pm
WillieW wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:47 pm I would never pay 1000 for a room in Thailand. 250 to 300 is my Max.
No idea when you've been in Thailand the last time; it almost goes without saying that your options would be pretty shitty at that price point nowadays, even in non-touristy, second-rate provincial towns.

You can refute that, but I dare you to post some pictures of the last 300 baht room you had.
1 Single Room with Fan
7 % VAT is included.
1 % City tax is included.
Total price
THB 272
a really good room in Chiang Mai window attached bathroom shower hot water fan stones throw from the main drag
Be your own toy.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:07 pm
300 baht rooms are to be avoided in the whole country, i'd say 500-750 nowadays gets you something decent with hot water an air con not in a tourist area or in a tourist area out of high season

In a tourist area in season, 1,000 would be minimum
I guess you have too much money to burn. 1000 baht I would never waste that on a room if I was traveling by myself that is. If I was with company of course that changes things but I can guarantee you out of tourist areas you can find a decent room for 300 baht pretty much anywhere
Be your own toy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic