Khmer440 is shutting down

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Khmer440 is shutting down

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 pm Well it has been pretty much dead whenever I've taken a look there recently, so no big surprise I'd say.

It's fascinating how each successive K440 owner turned out to be even worse than the previous one, albeit in very different ways from each other.
Now that it has a reprieve.. let's see if your theory holds out :whistler:

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

according to their site someone is stepping in to take it over

competition is good;
get rid of the guest feature
bring back Gav
and all will be god there

FYI
8 :thumb: up on the announcement!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I think it might have been interesting to see what happens, though, had the final curtain come down. A stampede signup of This Only Forum, albeit haters. An increase in riverside bench sitters, wondering what to do without spare hours (for those actually in the region)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I just ploughed through the 9 pages of abuse, swearing and name calling on TOF on the thread "TOF is closing down". The thread of "TOF is NOT closing" is a mere 2 pages. Maybe they wore themselves out.

It's a funny old world over there but this comment was the stand-out one and sums it up well:

The once ribald vibrant and helpful forum is fucked.
Barely any new threads of substance for....months....years.
No front page stories
No one can assist with basic info when new posters ask.
The only helpful poster is the kiwi.
Stop flogging a dead horse and Let it die like the syphilis riddled whore that it has become.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:04 pm I just ploughed through the 9 pages of abuse, swearing and name calling ......
I thought you were talking about some Trump/Biden/Vaccine threads over here for a second. Just saying that stuff exists in every forum and social media platform to a certain extent.

I think TOF mostly lacked on having something like CEO News. Even if all the stories don't garner tons of replies I like reading them and I bet they contribute nicely to the difference in site traffic here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Caretaker is the new owner/operator of Khmer440 who doesn't want anyone to know who he or she is preferring to remain anonymous, which isn't the warmest or most personable start for a new Cambodia expat forum owner.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:31 pm Caretaker is the new owner/operator of Khmer440 who doesn't want anyone to know who he or she is preferring to remain anonymous, which isn't the warmest or most personal start for a new Cambodia expat forum owner.
Migs tried to keep it quiet too
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

violet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:33 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:31 pm Caretaker is the new owner/operator of Khmer440 who doesn't want anyone to know who he or she is preferring to remain anonymous, which isn't the warmest or most personal start for a new Cambodia expat forum owner.
Migs tried to keep it quiet too
I guess with expat communities being what they are we'll have Caretaker's sexual disease history in a few hours.

Edit because English is hard.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I heard it was Nerdlanger
Rockman Lover
Expatriate

Post by Rockman Lover »

Caretaker is an appropriate name because that place is a cemetery.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic