Khmer440 is shutting down

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Khmer440 is shutting down

Post by Username Taken »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:39 pm Does it mean Khmer 440 will shut down totally and disappear, or will be frozen forever but will still be readable ?

That's a mass of interesting threads going away, always sad to see data going extinct...
Should be available for as long as the server is running. How long will that be, I dunno. Ask Alexandra.

Apart from that, it will be forever archived in the internet Wayback Machine. >> https://archive.org/web/
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

What a weird winter
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Super Sleuth wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:54 pm I heard a rumor that they are getting sued by someone for defarmation and thats the reason for shutting it down.
I doubt that. Where they would get sued? In Cambodia? Forum like that shouldn't have nothing to do with Cambodia physically even though the topic is about Cambodia. I mean the site should be hosted on a server outside of Cambodia and so on.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:39 pm Does it mean Khmer 440 will shut down totally and disappear, or will be frozen forever but will still be readable ?

That's a mass of interesting threads going away, always sad to see data going extinct...
It sounds like they're saying it will be totally shut down, but I would suggest to them that they just freeze it as is.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Can we, then, expect an inrush of people who previously openly despised this forum, as they will have nowhere except maybe the Kampot notice board to spill their vitriol? And of course Facebook.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm Can we, then, expect an inrush of people who previously openly despised this forum, as they will have nowhere except maybe the Kampot notice board to spill their vitriol? And of course Facebook.
The mods have done quite a good job in keeping trolls out the since I joined Some of them are hard to spot at first appearance.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm Can we, then, expect an inrush of people who previously openly despised this forum, as they will have nowhere except maybe the Kampot notice board to spill their vitriol? And of course Facebook.
I think Alexandra was referring to those who openly despised CEO when he said "forums attract a lot of people with mental illness".

I guess we can look forward to Jenny threads every week going forward.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

The owner has a chronic disease, maybe that's the reason for closing it down.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:49 am
BaronVonBaron wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:56 am I hope those tossers and keyboard warriors don't end up migrating over here.
Now now, we are a haphazard community where many of us have contrasting viewpoints/opinions, so all are welcome. (Ok, "most" are welcome, maybe not "all.")

Congrats to everyone here who has ever contributed on CEO, as this community isn't going anywhere, thanks to you all, and a special thanks to those who help (and who have helped in the past) with crucial things behind the scenes, like the news and moderating, as it's a team effort to keep an online community up and running for years and years.
Your welcome, and thank you for acknowledging my tireless efforts to ensure clean on this patch, and maintain a smooth-running operation.
It's nice to be appreciated, and thank you for the gift, in advance.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Rune
Tourist
Denmark

Post by Rune »

BaronVonBaron wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:56 amI hope those tossers and keyboard warriors don't end up migrating over here.
..and I'm here! Straight from khmer440. Distinguished veteran of several keyboard wars. Absolute tosser. I missed out on all the hatred though.

From Denmark. Been living in Cambodia for some 8 years or so. Mostly in PP, Kep, and Siem Reap. Now staying in PP.
Last edited by Rune on Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic