Price of Nutella...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Price of Nutella...

Post by orichá »

mikeukt wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:46 pm 2
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:24 pm t's an unhealthy product made by an unethical company,
Same is probably true of 90% of supermarket food products. I believe it's called free market capitalism!
Free market capitalism, yep, that's it all right.
No more better business bureau, and a whole lot of cartels, lol... Even a rag like Forbes puts the onus on corporate greed, lol...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/errolschwe ... expensive/
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Here's some real prices of Nutella ^^
ImageImage
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

orichá wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:15 pm
violet wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:27 pm At least you can now get it in Cambodia.
I’m in Australia, we pay higher prices for food from the UK. It’s how the world works - supply and demand
Uhmm, the prices I quoted for Nutella were from Canada and the U.S. . . Nutella is produced in Italy. So, transport to Canada and the U.S. would be maybe a third or one half than to Australia. I don't know. And I am not sure the argument, "at least you can get it here..." holds any water. That feels like saying, "at least some of us can drive a Ferrari."

My point is that something is seriously wrong with pricing of imports in Cambodia. Anyone can see that some middleman is ripping everyone off. Nothing to do with supply and demand. If the price was within reason, demand would increase significantly, lol...

And, I think Soriya is lying about the "half-price" sale at Lucky, too. Maybe he got a bargain on some expired Nutella? ...I've never seen any sale at any supermarket in Cambodia... It's impossible...

Everything is overpriced here in Cambodia now, especially ALL the foreigner-owned restos in Phnom Penh. I will be doing my own pizza-pie baking and eat at reasonably priced Cambodian-owned restaurants for certain from now on, too...
Ummm. You got hung up on me writing UK. My point was about imported products. Plus Small demand. Of course the prices will be high. It happens.

Maybe Cambodia doesn’t want food loved by foreigners becoming a staple among the diets of the local population. If foreigners want it, I don’t feel bad that the prices are high. Why should all the food you are used to eating in your home countries be available to you anyway?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

violet wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:18 am
Why should all the food you are used to eating in your home countries be available to you anyway?
Because it's good and many locals (who can afford it) actually like it ?

Foreign food is pretty cheap compared to some other asian countries.

No wonder there is good bakeries, pastries, french food at some supermarkets, and wine shops.

No actual need to get stuck with Vegemite...

You're welcome (says the Frenchs).

And i thank the Indian, Japanese, Malaysian, Korean and middle-east communities too...
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:36 am
violet wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:18 am
Why should all the food you are used to eating in your home countries be available to you anyway?
Because it's good and many locals (who can afford it) actually like it ?

…..
violet wrote:
Maybe Cambodia doesn’t want food loved by foreigners becoming a staple among the diets of the local population.
But so many of you have commented about the fat western women. Do you think Cambodian women will stay svelte when the supermarket shelves in Cambodia equal Western supermarket shelves?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

violet wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:35 am Do you think Cambodian women will stay svelte when the supermarket shelves in Cambodia equal Western supermarket shelves?
I don't see your point, there is Burger King on Riverside, maybe ask them ?
Western food isn't as fried or as sugary as in the area, when it come to fried or sweet stuff.
Sure we have Nutella, but it isn't a healthy product to consume on a regular basis, just as frying everything isn't a healthy habit.
But we also have muesli, low-fat cream, and exotic fruits such as pears, apples, peaches...
Also, local low quality meat or local transformed food is often a health issue.
We have fatties too, but at least they get fat on higher quality manufactured products.
Go test a local cake factory, or sausage factory, see how yummy they taste. Then have a look on the composition, proportions, ingredient sourcing...
I've seen colorful candy lollypops that are colored with pigments used for resin (epoxy, polyester, brand Rhone Poulenc), how cool is that when sold to kids at the fair ?
I'm pretty sure industrial imported food from westeros is an upgrade ^^

Anyway, any medium-sized western woman is looking fat compared to the skinny girls growing up on mainly rice and unsufficient variety of richer food (protein, vitamin wise),
And meth is the local weight watchers, i don't know the other posters's taste, maybe the one attracting them are the skinny ones on the chemical diet program, sitting on high stools in noisy bars ? Sure easier to lift, but healthier ?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:30 am
violet wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:35 am Do you think Cambodian women will stay svelte when the supermarket shelves in Cambodia equal Western supermarket shelves?
I don't see your point, there is Burger King on Riverside, maybe ask them ?
Western food isn't as fried or as sugary as in the area, when it come to fried or sweet stuff.
Sure we have Nutella, but it isn't a healthy product to consume on a regular basis, just as frying everything isn't a healthy habit.
But we also have muesli, low-fat cream, and exotic fruits such as pears, apples, peaches...
Also, local low quality meat or local transformed food is often a health issue.
We have fatties too, but at least they get fat on higher quality manufactured products.
Go test a local cake factory, or sausage factory, see how yummy they taste. Then have a look on the composition, proportions, ingredient sourcing...
I've seen colorful candy lollypops that are colored with pigments used for resin (epoxy, polyester, brand Rhone Poulenc), how cool is that when sold to kids at the fair ?
I'm pretty sure industrial imported food from westeros is an upgrade ^^

Anyway, any medium-sized western woman is looking fat compared to the skinny girls growing up on mainly rice and unsufficient variety of richer food (protein, vitamin wise),
And meth is the local weight watchers, i don't know the other posters's taste, maybe the one attracting them are the skinny ones on the chemical diet program, sitting on high stools in noisy bars ? Sure easier to lift, but healthier ?
I’ll have one more attempt.

Western supermarkets are chock full of variations of the same thing. Choice choice choice. Indulge indulge indulge.

People don’t get fat just because they eat fried food, sugary food, or even rice. Too much in means weight goes on.

What has changed since the 50s 60s 70s in western countries? An over abundance of choice on the shelves and the introduction of psychological sales techniques (leaving aside the change in activity from the growth of the intranet for the purpose of this thread).

You mention Burger King. Did you live in Cambodia before the arrival of Burger King, milk on the shelves, and the growth of western foods on the the shelves? If so, have you failed to notice there are more Cambodian women (and men) carrying extra weight now than there were back then?

I’ve lived in plenty of countries where western diets aren’t catered for. Thank xrist they exist. The west is lost.

It’s a slippery slope once outside influence takes over. I hope they keep the prices of products like Nutella high.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bluenose wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:25 pm For a lot of this stuff there is one transportation cost from factory/producer to a regional distributor or DC maybe in Thailand or Singapore and then another transport cost from there to Cambodia, it all adds up.
The good news is that Thai Huot was selling Marmite at less than half price this week as it was coming up to its Best Before date. Actually Marmite lasts for years after the BB, even when opened.
I gave up trying to find MM when I first got here - and when I did find it the prices seemed ridiculous - so I went rogue and switched to Vegemite. On buttered toast it is still an excellent hangover fix (albeit temporary).

The fact that Thai Hout has stored their MM for months without selling it, and now is trying to shift it through large discounts, suggests they won't bother restocking it.

I saw a small jar of MM in Super Duper at $8.50 a jar, at those prices they too will be keeping it for a long time.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:01 am
Bluenose wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:25 pm For a lot of this stuff there is one transportation cost from factory/producer to a regional distributor or DC maybe in Thailand or Singapore and then another transport cost from there to Cambodia, it all adds up.
The good news is that Thai Huot was selling Marmite at less than half price this week as it was coming up to its Best Before date. Actually Marmite lasts for years after the BB, even when opened.
I gave up trying to find MM when I first got here - and when I did find it the prices seemed ridiculous - so I went rogue and switched to Vegemite. On buttered toast it is still an excellent hangover fix (albeit temporary).

The fact that Thai Hout has stored their MM for months without selling it, and now is trying to shift it through large discounts, suggests they won't bother restocking it.

I saw a small jar of MM in Super Duper at $8.50 a jar, at those prices they too will be keeping it for a long time.
[/quote

I won’t buy it at normal prices but on this occasion $2.50 for the 115g size was too tempting
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Yes, the humans eat food, just like other animals, but unlike animals, they have to pay for it.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic