Price of Nutella...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Price of Nutella...

Post by orichá »

Nutella is produced in Europe, North America and New South Wales, wherever that is...

"Nutella is produced in various facilities. In the North American market, it is produced at a plant in Brantford, Ontario, Canada[27] and more recently in San José Iturbide, Guanajuato, Mexico.[28]

"For Australia and New Zealand, Nutella has been manufactured in Lithgow, New South Wales, since the late 1970s.[29]

"Two of the four Ferrero plants in Italy produce Nutella, in Alba, Piedmont, and in Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi in Campania.[30] In France, a production facility is located in Villers-Écalles.[31] For Eastern Europe (including Southeast Europe, Poland, Turkey, Czech Republic and Slovakia) and South Africa, it is produced in Warsaw and Manisa. For Germany and northern Europe, Nutella is produced at the Ferrero plant in Stadtallendorf, which has been in existence since 1956.[32] Nutella entered the Russian market and also has a production plant in Vladimir.[33]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutella
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

orichá wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:15 pm
violet wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:27 pm At least you can now get it in Cambodia.
I’m in Australia, we pay higher prices for food from the UK. It’s how the world works - supply and demand
Uhmm, the prices I quoted for Nutella were from Canada and the U.S. . . Nutella is produced in Italy.
Are you sure ALL Nutella is made in Italy?

from wikipedia
Nutella is produced in various facilities. In the North American market, it is produced at a plant in Brantford, Ontario, Canada[27] and more recently in San José Iturbide, Guanajuato, Mexico.[28]

For Australia and New Zealand, Nutella has been manufactured in Lithgow, New South Wales, since the late 1970s.[29]

Two of the four Ferrero plants in Italy produce Nutella, in Alba, Piedmont, and in Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi in Campania.[30] In France, a production facility is located in Villers-Écalles.[31] For Eastern Europe (including Southeast Europe, Poland, Turkey, Czech Republic and Slovakia) and South Africa, it is produced in Warsaw and Manisa. For Germany and northern Europe, Nutella is produced at the Ferrero plant in Stadtallendorf, which has been in existence since 1956.[32] Nutella entered the Russian market and also has a production plant in Vladimir.[33]

Ferrero also has a plant in Poços de Caldas, Brazil, which supplies the Brazilian market, with part of the production being exported overseas.[34] It is also manufactured in Turkey and exported to countries like India.

Global production in 2013 was about 350,000 tonnes.[35]
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hanno wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:01 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:46 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:15 pm It's an unhealthy product made by an unethical company, although it's nice on a pizza base with sliced bananas once in a blue moon
Lol, I've seen some weird pizzas in my time but never heard of Nutella/banana, sounds like a great dessert though. I have friends who still haven't gotten over Hawaiian pizzas because they say pineapple shouldn't be on a pizza, I'd love to see how they'd react to Nutella and banana.
I think real Italian chefs would be more offended by American Boyardee tinned pasta than by chocolate and banana on bread or pizza base lol
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

For a lot of this stuff there is one transportation cost from factory/producer to a regional distributor or DC maybe in Thailand or Singapore and then another transport cost from there to Cambodia, it all adds up.
The good news is that Thai Huot was selling Marmite at less than half price this week as it was coming up to its Best Before date. Actually Marmite lasts for years after the BB, even when opened.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Bluenose wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:25 pm The good news is that Thai Huot was selling Marmite at less than half price this week as it was coming up to its Best Before date. Actually Marmite lasts for years after the BB, even when opened.
Or at least doesn't taste any worse.

Great on a pizza however, with Nutella.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:25 pm For a lot of this stuff there is one transportation cost from factory/producer to a regional distributor or DC maybe in Thailand or Singapore and then another transport cost from there to Cambodia, it all adds up.
The good news is that Thai Huot was selling Marmite at less than half price this week as it was coming up to its Best Before date. Actually Marmite lasts for years after the BB, even when opened.
Plus: transport within Cambodia is relatively expensive.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

orichá wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:12 pm
Soriya wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:23 pm Lucky supermarket at ratana plaza has it at half price at the mo, got some the other day
Sounds like a once in a year event, lol... What did you pay, actually, and for how many grams?

By the time I get up there, (that's near Russian Bvld?), the sale will be over, I'm sure...

Thanks for your input...
Was in there a few hours ago, loads of jars for 30k riel, its by the bread section, big jars but cannot remember size, and i am not home to check, its normally 60k riel so i guess same size you mentioned. And yes russian boulevard
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Bluenose wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:25 pm For a lot of this stuff there is one transportation cost from factory/producer to a regional distributor or DC maybe in Thailand or Singapore and then another transport cost from there to Cambodia, it all adds up.
Well, there's the 35% customs duty. The extra transport cost is really negligible compared to tax and middle man... Greedy Pharma Bro style dicks who need a Mercedes, etc.

Look at the Makro price man! 12+ dollars versus less than 5 in Canada, and the jar in Canada is bigger. Indefensible!
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Soriya wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:03 pm
orichá wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:12 pm
Soriya wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:23 pm Lucky supermarket at ratana plaza has it at half price at the mo, got some the other day
Sounds like a once in a year event, lol... What did you pay, actually, and for how many grams?

By the time I get up there, (that's near Russian Bvld?), the sale will be over, I'm sure...

Thanks for your input...
Was in there a few hours ago, loads of jars for 30k riel, its by the bread section, big jars but cannot remember size, and i am not home to check, its normally 60k riel so i guess same size you mentioned. And yes russian boulevard
Thanks for that... 30k brings it down to only a dollar or two more than N.A... I think this "sale" proves the guys running the supermarkets got a little cartel going on most days of the week, lol...
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Nutrella debate

! Where are they made? My jar says Made in Australia. Before I think I've had Made in Poland.

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:24 pm t's an unhealthy product made by an unethical company,
Same is probably true of 90% of supermarket food products. I believe it's called free market capitalism!

3 Finally, use by/best by dates. Great theory, mostly irrelevant. If most products are on special offer, buy one get one or suchlike. Good enough. Buy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic