Hungry Drunkard Bitten By Rabid Dog He Intends To Cook and Eat

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Hungry Drunkard Bitten By Rabid Dog He Intends To Cook and Eat

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 10:00 pm on January 17, 2023, in Puttrea village, Sangkat Kork Roka, Khan Prek Pnov, Phnom Penh, a hungry drunkard became convulsive after he was bitten by the dog that he intended to cook and eat.
The 22-year-old dog owner had previously been bitten three times by his dog, but had never got a rabies vaccination. According to the source, the man was getting drunk with some friends when he remembered all the trauma caused by his dog biting him, so he decided to beat and kill his dog, and cook it to eat at his party later on. However, before he could kill it, the dog bit him again causing him to collapse and start to convulse.

After he was taken to the Calmette Hospital, the villagers chased and killed the rabid dog to avoid anyone else getting bitten and infected.
ImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Hungry Drunkard Bitten By Rabid Dog He Intends To Cook and Eat

Post by Ghostwriter »

Fair enough ^^
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Rabid dogs generally die within 7 days. Wonder if this was just a heavily abused dog or a real rabid one.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Proof once again that a neutering program is needed. Maybe to include dogs as well.

My knowledge of rabies is a bit rudimentary, but I didn’t think it worked like that- bite, then immediate convulsions, which is how the article reads.
The proof that the dog is rabid appears to be based on the dog’s natural reaction to being abused, and not wanting to be dinner.
I feel sympathy for the dog, and hope the bite festers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:31 am
My knowledge of rabies is a bit rudimentary, but I didn’t think it worked like that- bite, then immediate convulsions, which is how the article reads.
Living in the sticks with rabid animals present once in a while I had to learn about it. Also got preventive shots buying me time in case of exposure. Time between exposure and symptoms is weeks to months. Unfortunately if you don't act within days of exposure it's 100% lethal and often it's not clear whether you were exposed or not.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

I read some time ago if you send the dogs head to the pasture institute they can examine the brain and confirm if it has rabies apparently the best way to do this. Also if you dont do that but the dog is still alive after two weeks from biting you its not got rabies....but I'd the jags as a precaution regardless...and I did years ago when a dog playfully put its jaws round my leg and might have just broken skin.
Some years back in Goa in a market an English woman played with a pup..it nipped her....she finished her holiday when home and sadly later passed away from Rabies.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I was under the impression that incubation time was generally a few days, but could be measured in years. Once the onset of rabies symptoms occurs, the end comes within about a week. Having been bitten by a rabid animal, treatment needs to be begun straight away. The neurological symptoms come once the disease is well established.

However, rabid behaviour is often used to describe a lot of people, from a cranky old secretary in my department years ago, all the way to include actual rabid animals. Given that people seem to enjoy antagonising dogs, or generally goading them into a constant state of feral behaviour- I’m sure rabies is something of a catch all diagnosis, just like missing school with a head cold and mum’s note to teacher saying flu.
This fella could just as easily, more easily, have had tetanus.

one_dolla wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:13 am I read some time ago if you send the dogs head to the pasture institute they can examine the brain and confirm if it has rabies
Too late now, but I’m sure that could have been an option for the secretary.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

one_dolla wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:13 am I read some time ago if you send the dogs head to the pasture institute they can examine the brain and confirm if it has rabies apparently the best way to do this. Also if you dont do that but the dog is still alive after two weeks from biting you its not got rabies....but I'd the jags as a precaution regardless...and I did years ago when a dog playfully put its jaws round my leg and might have just broken skin.
Some years back in Goa in a market an English woman played with a pup..it nipped her....she finished her holiday when home and sadly later passed away from Rabies.
^this

The problem is if you're exposed you need inoculation preferably within 12-24 hours, double if you've been inoculated before. If the animal is indeed rabid and you wait for the confirmation by death (generally within 7 days) or lab you're probably too late.
A guy in my country working for an NGO was bitten by a dog in Puerto Rico in some fancy compound. Same story. No action taken, later died of it in a Western hospital. Nothing they could do.

But... Inoculation isn't the first thing to do. First wash the wound with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes. The odds you will damage the virus or wash it out are pretty large and if you get exposed you will reduce the viral load.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

There is an old saying in journalism: Dog bites man, not news. Man bites dog, hold the front page.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Zero sympathy here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic